Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High hat and a ride cymbal

User Info Menu

Default High hat and a ride cymbal

hey guys, i just have a question about buying a ride cymbal and some high hats.

I have an entry level hi-hat and an entry level crash/ride cymbal and i feel that by having a very crappy hi-hat and not having a ride cymbal is sort of hindering my learning and advancing in drumming a little bit. So my question is, What kind of hi-hats and what kind of ride cymbal would you recomend for me to get? I don't want to get a crap pair of high hats and ride cymbal, I want something that will last me along time, so I don't have to keep upgrading, I'd rather buy quaility rather then quantity, so to speak. But on the other hand I dont want to be spending like 400-500$ bucks on a ride cymbal. I don't really know if im concidered to be a heavy hitter or not either... but i don't think im that much of one. And also another question, can i use my old hi-hat stand for a new pair of hi-hats?, or do I have to buy a whole new stand with the new set of hi-hats? Im wondering the same thing for the ride stand.

User Info Menu

Im not the wisest when it comes to the best cymbals to buy but I can certainly tell you that if you are not planning on doing some shows or record in the near future then save your cash. High end cymbals can cost alot of money and as far as learning is concerned, having beginners cymbals will not hinder your development in my opinion at all. If your pedals were old and dodgy then they might hinder your development but the cymbals certainly wont.

If you havent a ride cymbal that might hinder the development of crashing between cymbals and four way coordination so I suggest you buy a ride cymbal also for the sound and again it doesnt have to be hi end. there are some really nice cymbals that dont break the budget. Like I said im no expert but I know that they are out there. I can spell it but and example is the Bospherus cymbals. Really chirpy and not that expensive
    Last edited by livewire80; 06-04-2007 at 05:36 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

In answer to your other question - you keep your stands. Just change the cymbals. Also I think I know what you mean about thinking it is hindering your learning, however experince has taught me that this is probably more to do with what you are hearing as opposed to your ability to play. It doesn't sound good (because the cymabls suck) so you think that is your fault. Maybe you are doing something wrong. Fact is it is just the cymbal. So don't worry about it too much.

Oh and BTW - not sure what you've got ATM, but you could always go for another pack like Sabian XS20 or Zildjian ZXT - shouldn't break the budjet too much and these are mid level symbals, better than begginner stuff anyway.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

The last time I tried switching hi hats I had to use a new stand because the diameter of the spike was too big for the new pair. As for the ride cymbal, I don't have one so I can't say anything.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat
    The last time I tried switching hi hats I had to use a new stand because the diameter of the spike was too big for the new pair. As for the ride cymbal, I don't have one so I can't say anything.
    Ok, see now I find that just wierd. I have never seen or heard of that happening before. I mean, I thought there was just an industryn standard for the diametre of the of the hole - i don't even think they bother publishing that measurement with the cymbal. Man, that is seriosuly wierd.

User Info Menu

I just ordered a set of these Wuhan S Series that ddrumbum highly recommended. They got very good reviews on musicians friend too. I will let you know what I think. Music123 has them for $159 (out of stock) and I called Musicians Friend, who has them in stock, and their price is over $200 but they did a price match with Music123, so I got them for $159, free shipping and for an extra 19 bucks I got two years of insurance if they crack, chip or break. Anyways, I will let you know what I think of them when I get them in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummina
    I just ordered a set of these Wuhan S Series that ddrumbum highly recommended. They got very good reviews on musicians friend too. I will let you know what I think. Music123 has them for $159 (out of stock) and I called Musicians Friend, who has them in stock, and their price is over $200 but they did a price match with Music123, so I got them for $159, free shipping and for an extra 19 bucks I got two years of insurance if they crack, chip or break. Anyways, I will let you know what I think of them when I get them in.
    That is a great deal drummina - can't to hear a review

User Info Menu

If you want something that will hold up but is cheap (and still sounds good)

ZBT's zildjian.... or simular level paistes are good. Sabians the same.... DDrum would prolly say something about wuhans so ill beat him to it.

But i know ZBT's are about 390$ australian thats hihats ride and crash
    and they are built tough (If you get the thicker pack)

So for low money but reasonable quality for.... Go one of the starter packs from there.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

i have a mix of zbt's and paiste 502s...they do the job. my 18 inch crash is an Alpha

User Info Menu

well we got alot of ideas here.. I hear about the ZBT's pack that stevo suggested, and the Wuhan S Series and a little pasite, so do you guys think I would be better of buying a pack of cymbals, for example a hihat and ride cymbal and a crash in one package, or should i buy them seperetly? also crazymanwithaplunger, about the way the cymbal 'sounds'. I think my hi hat is hindering my learning because, you can barley bounce the stick on the high hat because its far from crisp and tight. and I can't hear OR do the things on my hi hat that i could do otherwise on a better hi hat. which makes me not even attemp to try little tricks on my own hi hat. Live wire, I agree with the independance part of getting a ride cymbal, thats why I want one, and plus the sound . Roaddebris, those are some expensive cymbals... hehe I think Ill wait but i admit you do have nice taste lol.

User Info Menu

I thinking, you can't beat that? seems like a pretty smok'n deal, accept is there a catch? is there a warrenty on them?

User Info Menu

enuff with all this zbt, zht, b8. and formula 502 crap. he said he wants something he wont have to replace. beginner cymbals are just that...beginner cymbals. they are strictly for people who dont know better or cant afford better. it is my opinion that my paragon ride is the best live rock ride cymbal EVER. it was the first cymbal i bought when i started upgrading this last time. however i did not like the the paragon hi hats. i took my ride to my local shop and played it next to every pair and combination of hats there before choosing the zildjian quick beats. they just played perfectly together.
    i would seriously look at the zil. A avedis line, and they are only a little more than the zxt titaniums.(huge dif. in quality) the avedis med. rock ride is a perfect general purpose ride. and blends well with all other high end zildjian cymbals. the same can be said for most high end sabian such as the aa, aax and hh lines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    enuff with all this zbt, zht, b8. and formula 502 crap.
    Whew! Thank you funky. Cheap cymbols just sound terrible. Examle? Go take a whack at a ZBT china next time you're in a music store. One of the worst sounds known to man. I would advise upgrading one piece at a time over buying an economy pack.

User Info Menu

so what your saying Funk, is that the avedis med. rock ride, and the quick beat hi-hats are your sugested pair for me?

User Info Menu

either the quick beats ot new beats. the new beats are not quite as heavy and loud.
    but yeah, that would be an excelent combo and place to start building your setup. i think any rock setup should start with a good sound matched ride and hat combo. my 22" paragon was only like 320 bucks, so not that expensive. i tell you it cuts thru anything with amazing tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    enuff with all this zbt, zht, b8. and formula 502 crap. he said he wants something he wont have to replace. beginner cymbals are just that...beginner cymbals. they are strictly for people who dont know better or cant afford better. it is my opinion that my paragon ride is the best live rock ride cymbal EVER. it was the first cymbal i bought when i started upgrading this last time. however i did not like the the paragon hi hats. i took my ride to my local shop and played it next to every pair and combination of hats there before choosing the zildjian quick beats. they just played perfectly together.
    i would seriously look at the zil. A avedis line, and they are only a little more than the zxt titaniums.(huge dif. in quality) the avedis med. rock ride is a perfect general purpose ride. and blends well with all other high end zildjian cymbals. the same can be said for most high end sabian such as the aa, aax and hh lines.
    He also said he didnt want to spend hundreds of dollars on one cymbol.... So an upper pack of cymbols would be better right? Zht's maybe? I agree though buying single cymbols at a time at great cost is the best way to get what you want in a kit :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I tend to agree with Funky and RD on this. I got a ZBT cymbal pack with my beginner kit, mainly because I couldn't stand the sound of the cheap cymbals that came with the kit, so the ZBT's were an upgrade for me. Also, I got an additional free crash cymbal in the pack (the store also since I bought an extra Mapex stand the owner of the through in an extra Mapex stand). The good news is that I got some very good quality cymbal stands, the bad news is that I realize the ZBT's didn't take me very high up toward quality cymbals. I'll have to live with them a little which longer, but that's OK for me, at the moment.

If your funds are limited, wait for Drummina's review of her Wuhan cymbals. I know ddrumbum is really sold on them, so you'll have two opinions when she gets hers.

BTW, if you want to upgrade your hi-hat stand - I did when I bought the new kit, because I couldn't stand the action on the beginner piece of hardware - I can recommend the PDP 900 series stand. I got it at Musician's Friend for about $60.00 and it's a heavy duty stand with rotating legs, and adjustable tension. So much better than the beginner hi-hat stand! Here's a link it you want to see it. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...and?sku=443559
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

ahhh theres so many suggestions, i don't seem to be finding a whole bunch of suggestions on just one kind of cymbal. Ok, I dont want to be spending 400 dollars on a crash, or 300+ dollars on a hi-hat. I played on my church drum set and I like the Hi-hat, and they have a B8 hat, accept it seems to be an older version of the Siabain B8, so mabye if im happy with that.. mabye im not looking for a super high end hi hat. Im just really stuck here because I can't seem to find a solid choice.. and me not knowing anything about cymbal doesn't help much. So far I have suggestions on

Hi hats: Z custom, Zustom master sound, B8 hi hat, ZBT (cymbal pack), ZHT(cymbal pack), ZXT (cymbal pack), quick beat hi hats, and Wuhan S series (cymbal pack).

Rides:Pargon and avedis

User Info Menu

To me, it seems like having some sort of ride is a must. If you are going to be a kit player, you need at least a four piece set with a high hat and ride, minimum (IMO). So, getting any kind of ride is going to be an upgrade.

Here's the deal for young guys, though. If you are serious about your art, then you need to take a long view towards your equipment choices. If you think you are going to playing out in the years to come, or maybe even becoming a working musician, then you need to have a set-up that will take you there. The cheaper cymbals, like ZBT's, just don't cut it. As soon as you shell out the dough for them and gain just a little more skill, you will likely be looking to upgrade to a real set of professional quality cymbals.

Since you are already thinking of a high end ride (Paragon), you might want to make a game plan that centers on building your future set around this piece. You could buy the Paragon now, and then replace or add cymbals from the Paragon series, or other cymbals that blend well with the Pragon over the next few years.

My youngest son is has been in the same boat as a guitarist. Right now he's got a mid-priced Gibson SG Special Faded, a cheap solid state half stack, and a pretty good array of effects (volume, wah, 2 distortions, chorus, phaser, delay, tuner, & noise gate). He's got everything he needs to play out, but it's not a professional quality set up. So, he's saving to upgrade to a Gibson Les Paul Studio and then he wants to get a high-end tube amp, like Messa Boogie. This is going to take him years to do, but he's commited to not spending money on cheap stuff, knowing that some day he will have a killer set-up.

It's tough to think long term like this, but if you can do it you'll end up with a much nicer set down the road.

User Info Menu

z custom hats are ok too, i just think they are a little gongy. same with the rides. they would work well if you are playing in a loud situation. the evedis i mentioned are about the same thickness but lack the clangy bite of the z customs.

User Info Menu

Thanks RD, thats exactly what I was thinking.. think long term. Funky, how heavy are the evedis? are they heavier or lighter then the B8's? does heavniness mean better quality?

User Info Menu

the avedis come in several diferent models and thicknesses. med and rock models being the hevier. weight does not equal quality. it all depends on the sound you are trying to acheive. a thicker cymbal will usually have i higher pitch than a thin one. there are a lot of variables in what makes each cymbal sound different from each other. such as weight, lathing, hammering, a briliant type finish, mixture of metals in the alloy...ect.
    sorry if i dont remember reading what kind of music you like or what drummers you might want to sound like, but with an idea i could tell you what i would personally choose for that type of application.

User Info Menu

well thats the thing.. I dont really have a steady genre i drum too, well to break it down a little bit, I don't drum to metal much and I dont drum to rap or hip hop, I do drum to rock and I like drumming to punk once and awhile. so I'd say, rock/punk rock kind of sound.

User Info Menu

Okay whats the better deal and better quality (overall best buy).

http://www.music123.com/Zildjian-Ave...-i243533.music
    https://www.activemusician.com/item--MC.25005X