Thread: Ghost Notes

User Info Menu

Default Ghost Notes

What are ghost notes???

User Info Menu

Its like a little note before a note. I cant explain it better then that.

User Info Menu

they are like little taps on the snare that are off the snare accented notes. the stick is usually kept low and taps away in between notes. they add extra spice to the rhythm.

User Info Menu

this guy is really good at lessons and explains ghost noting really well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nN-jJvrBe0

User Info Menu

Actually Vinny, what you explained there was a flam. A Flam is playing a note a fraction of a second in front of another note.

A Ghost Note is the opposite of an accented note. As in, instead of playing a note extra loud, you play it extra soft. Abe Cunningham from the Deftones uses them a lot. They're great to practice your dynamics around the kit and can add a little extra depth to the beats you play.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

You can hardly see a ghost. You can hardly hear a ghost note.

User Info Menu

I cant figure out how to do them on drums. I cant figure thme out on guitar.

They are really really easy and i just cant get them to sound right :(
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Chad Smith from the Chilli Peppers uses lots of ghost notes in his beats - I think the best and most obvious example of them would be in the song Californication, which is linked for your pleasure :D http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tn28aGYytxs
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I love Van, I watch him a lot. He actually confused me some with this, he is so fast and technical, you guys actually made me understand. I used to think they were empty spots where a note was expected, then I watched the Van video and got confused, thanks for clearing this up for me. I will work on this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummina
    What are ghost notes???
    They're notes that terrify Shaggie, Scoobie and the gang for about 3/4ths of the show, until they discover that the spook is really the local redneck or corrupt politician working some scam.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    They're notes that terrify Shaggie, Scoobie and the gang for about 3/4ths of the show, until they discover that the spook is really the local redneck or corrupt politician working some scam.
    Simply genius. Made me smile hahaha

User Info Menu

ahhhh whatever happened to the good old shows on tv..
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

and for another example of a very very quite ghost note is the song Blurry by 3 doors down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    I cant figure out how to do them on drums. I cant figure thme out on guitar.

They are really really easy and i just cant get them to sound right :(
    ya man, i cant do them either, well I cant make them sound really really quite like you here in music. Unless... they mic there snare down!!! I know how they do it now

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    and for another example of a very very quite ghost note is the song Blurry by 3 doors down.
    You are most likely to hear ghost notes in well-produced recordings and live gigs in smaller venues. Otherwise, they usually get buried by loud guitar players (you hear that Roaddebris!) or they get lost in the mix.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    You are most likely to hear ghost notes in well-produced recordings and live gigs in smaller venues. Otherwise, they usually get buried by loud guitar players (you hear that Roaddebris!) or they get lost in the mix.
    Wha? I can't hear you.

User Info Menu

Ghost notes are difficult to hear, but once you do you can never miss it. Know what I mean?

I usually do Ghost notes and don't even realize that I'm doing them until they are pointed out to me.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Ghost notes were the classy little things I learned as "grace notes" - the flam and drag etc. But they're also single strokes. Burnard Purdie is a maestro. Listen to Babylon Sisters by Steely Dan and check out those ghost notes in the shuffle. He simply calls them rebounds.
    Mature rockin' Ludwiggy (but wigless, by avatar and pic!!)
    Drums: Ludwig
    Cymbals: Zildjian A Custom
    Heads: Remo Pinstripe and Evans
    Band: Snapshot

User Info Menu

Ghost notes haunt me

User Info Menu

drum_chick, you probably know this already, but the key to ghost notes is independence! correct me if I'm wrong pros.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    drum_chick, you probably know this already, but the key to ghost notes is independence! correct me if I'm wrong pros.
    Actually Laf, I don't know, I'm kind of lost when it comes to ghost notes because I just want to play everything loud and obnoxious LOL

User Info Menu

haha well thats your style! thats great. yeah about the ghost notes.. one limb has to hit lighter while all the other limbs stay the same, which is quite hard to do, that is why independance exersizes help because, you can be more independant with your left hand, which ultimataly help you use that hand lighter then all the rest of your limbs. sorry i sort of suck at explaining theres my 2cents tho

User Info Menu

A ghost note (from what I was taught) is a flam were one stick is only an inch from the drum and the other is a foot from the drum.