Thread: Roland TD4K2 Electronic drums

User Info Menu

Default Roland TD4K2 Electronic drums

Those of you following my adventure into the Tama Silverstars know that yesterday I returned them. My review was accurate they just turned out not to be for me after trying to record them compared to my Pearl Vision VMX. When I returned them I saw the Roland TD4K2 set and thought to myself that would be perfect for those times when the urge to play my drums hit but pounding my acoustic Pearl Visions was not possible...Early morning, late night, everyone home. Anyway I returned the Tama's and bought the Roland. This thing is so cool. Now I have the best of both worlds. My Acoustics when I can play them and the roland which is turning out to be the ultimate practice set. I've played on this set for at least 6 hours today and not once did my kids yell "Dad, knock it off I'm trying to watch TV" ...in fact My legs and wrists are feeling it which is nice to have that level of workout for a change. Usually I'm trying to get some rushed jamming in on the acoustics before everyone get's home and that usually is not long enough with far too little warm up. The Pics and Read on...

Visions...

Everything is included, the stand, The drum module (brain), the mesh snare, 3tom pads, high hat pad and high hat pedal, the bass drum pad, cymbal, drum and high hat holders, all cables. Kick pedal is not included. Includes very detailed easy to follow quick assembly guides for the stand and pad attachment and a detailed manual. It was very simple to assemble and is very sturdy. The stand has memory locks in key positions. The cable assembly includes a connector for an additional cymbal pad which I think I am going to add. I have the positions closely emulating the center of my Pearl kit. The brain has 25 built in Kit's and the sound on all of them is so impressive. The cymbal pads can be choked and the ride pad has a great ping/wash and a super cool icy bell zone. If you are into making a Kit of your own there are 16 different crash cymbals to choose including splashes and china's and 12 rides. Various Bass drums including Maple, Deep, Fiber, Hard attack, Vintage. For the tom's you can choose different shell and head types maple, maple 2, fiber. Maple Steel, Brass, Deep and 16 other choices for the snare. Clear or coated, heads etc. Any of the included kits can be tuned to your liking if you are into making those adjustments. The brain has a Tuning and a separate Muffling button that allows you to individually tune or muffle a drum to your preference. Has a full mixer to make further adjustments like pad volume, pan, ambience etc. There are also a quick record, fully adjustable metronome and coach button. The quick record can record up to 9000 notes at a time. This is cool: You can turn on the Metronome, then hit the quick record button and groove on the drums. When you are done hit the playback and then the coach button. It will playback what you just played and tell you how you did keeping time. There is also a full compliment of practice exercises and warm up routines. All of the pads are super responsive and have a great realistic sound and feel. The snare pad has three zones; Snare, Rim shot and cross sticking. That is all for now...Off to play them some more.
    Last edited by Timmkatt; 07-03-2011 at 10:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland TD4K2 Electronic drums

Wow! Thats SWEEEEEEEEEET! Nice choice! Like snacks, drumming is more fun at night sometimes!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

New kit sure is lookin great Timm. Shame it didn't work out with the Silverstars, I guess the Pearl's got everything you needed in the end huh? Sure is nice being able to practice whenever, no fuss from anyone makes it easy to get some good time in. Congrats on the new pickup!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Yep, the Pearl set is awesome after all. The Roland is so cool too. I have probably gotten more practice time in since Friday when i got the Roland home and set up than in the last month. Monday I added the second crash too. No more sitting watching a concert or some band on TV thinking wow that's a cool groove I need to try and hoping to remember it when I got to jam the acoustics. Now I can just throw on the headphones and jam or practice when ever. I'm hooked and think I'm going to get another hour in after my kids go to bed at 9. thanks for the comments!

User Info Menu

Nice, I was thinking of doing the same thing. Looking at an acoustic 2nd kit but now thinking I want a e-kit. How much did you pay for that if you dont mind saying? Also do you feel any different when you go back to play your acoustic? I fear developing bad habits playing on a hard rubber surface then going back to acoustic.

I would love to get the new Yamaha 560 but not sure I want to spend that much ($1700) plus they are not out yet so I do not know how those pads feel.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

i have an roland td9kx, it's really a no brainer to have an electric kit, as most drummers,, don't have a place were they can play when ever they want too,, with the e kit you pretty well play anytime you like, and thats cool...
    and yes,, i would like to play the real kit anytime i would like, but the chances of that working out is very little for me..so i have both type of kits,,
    i win both ways,, and thats cool..
    the only thing i don't like on the e kit is the triggers on the toms, i can hear them clicking,,when i called roland tech dept, the tech guy had no idea what i was talking about..i'm in engineering, so i knew the guy was clueless..i live with it, plus some other stuff...because it's a lot of fun,, you can play the different drum kits it has in memory. i love it..althou my daughter can hear the kit clicking away, when i get all fired up playing, headphones on,,bashing all about,,lol,, it take's a beating,, and that is really cool..

i can tell you'll enjoy the fun of the kit, as much as me, but if your like me, my acoustic kit still rocks the best, my accents are way better than on the e kit...

here is a cool thing to do.. get a good recorder from music store, nothing fancy, 4 mic's, different recording patterns, usb, line in, line out,..
    i have a zoom h2, works great for what i want....
    so take the recorder and visit your guitar friend and have him put down some stuff,,,head home,,plug in and work on a beat,,call the bass guy,, invite him over,, record him playing to the recording of the guitar and drums, the best part is that you can drink a beer, without missing a beat...
    good times....

User Info Menu

I'm sooooooo jealous right now Timmkat. I hope to have the best of both worlds someday too. Congrats and enjoy!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman