Drum Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go big or go home?

User Info Menu

Default Go big or go home?

Lately Ive been saving for a 6-piece Tama Superstar set, but Ive been seriously considering just going all out and getting a set of starclassics or DW performance. These are probably gonna be the last drums I will ever buy so Im kinda wondering if I should just go super high end...
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Go big or go home?

I don't see why not. You already have a kit in the mean time, so why not?

The question you should be asking is "where's Gretsch?"
    Gretsch makes some great highend drums. Renown series and also Purewood series. The pure woods are 100% hard wood shells. Renowns are American Hardwoods. Both are nice drums. Nothing wrong with Starclassics or DW's, quality kits too. But you should expand your hoerizons alittle farther in your search.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Or you could look at some Pearls maple cause they make nice kits too. Just thought I'd mention that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    But you should expand your hoerizons alittle farther in your search.
    I definitely will once I decide to go with it.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-SP Hardware
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Certainly nothing wrong with getting some nice stuff like Starclassics, Renowns, Saturns, etc..., but don't discount the Superstars just because they are mid-range. They are a huge upgrade from your D2's and fantastic drums, particularly for the heavier stuff, and the money you save can go towards cymbals, etc... Just a thought.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

All things considered, if you want a new and unique sound, go for the Starclassics bubinga series. Of all the kits I'd owned they had the most distinct tonal qualities of all.

The toms had the most defined and pleasant ring about them, no overtunes. The bass drum would thump you whether you are in front or behind the kick. Even on the whimpiest camera mic (mine) the bass drum punched through.

With DW, Pearl, Mapex, even Gretsch, they all had similar qualities and in most cases turning your back would not help identify any particular kit.

Bottom line is...

The Bubinga stood out above all the others.

These expressed opinions are strictly mine and gleaned from my own personal experience. All kits were set up in the same sound room conditions (my basement) and all were judged equally.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish, excellent points as always. The issue of course is the cost jump from Superstars to SC Bubingas. We're talking a difference of over $2,000 to get a Bubinga kit. And that doesn't include him upgrading from his Sound Percussion hardware and maybe getting some higher end cymbals.

Seems to me that you could spend $1,500 on a full Superstar setup (new) or even maybe $1,000 if you get used stuff, including upgraded hardware and cymbals and be in great shape. Just my two cents as always.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I was having a discussion with one of my friends about this the other day. The bulk of the conversation was that DW's and high end kids like that aren't worth the money. A lot of today's so called "intermediate" kits are so advanced in their construction that they're almost on par with an "expert" or "advanced" kit. The only things that add to the cost of something like DW are finishes, custom options, and the fancy label. I mean, don't get me wrong. If that's what you want and you have the money to do it, then go for it by all means. I'm just saying that just because it's DW doesn't make it the drumming gods answers to your prayers.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

As the old saying goes " its not the arrow its the indian " if it looks good and sounds good go with your instinct
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Go big or go home?

iv had that exact same delema a few weeks ago but then i considered how much it was replacing my skins hardware and cymbals and it was actually much more exspensive than i thought
    so all im saying is get your dream cymbals, skins and hardware then while your rocking out on whatever you have then just get an awesome shell pack
    just my 2 cents
    good luck on your choice tho

User Info Menu

I'm gonna side with Kaos on this one...I think it would be a better idea to get a full new set of Superstars and put any extra money you save into some nice cymbals, hardware etc. I've owned my Superstars for a couple of years now and I've never looked back...not once have I thought "Man, I wish I'd saved up for Starclassics instead". I don't know whether this will be the last kit I own, but if it is I would be 100% happy with these drums.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Starclassics...I'd love to own a set! They're amazing and unique drums, as Bish said. But IMO, when you can get a kit as good as the Superstars for so much less, you gotta ask yourself whether it is worth the extra money or not. And if it is, there's nothing wrong that at all...if the Starclassics or DW's are what you really want...go for it dude!
    Last edited by yohin; 07-03-2011 at 11:33 AM.
    Peace, Love, and Rock N Roll

Matt

User Info Menu

there are a lot of affordable "high end" kits out there,the Birch Silverstars brand new are around $600 with the few discounts they offer,ive got 2 starclassics same finish,that i just added together, i got one at GC used for
    $699,and i got the other for $999 used ,with pedals and a few pearl cym stands,so the "high end" kits, i think are more affordable then ever,keep us posted on your endevors

User Info Menu

Save for a long time, buy your dream kit. I did, it's the best feeling I've ever felt, and I came from the same situation as you. We're about the same age I think, and we both started off with beginner level kits. Buying a high end drum set with my own money is a really good feeling. I wish I had the power to save up and buy all my Meinls at once, but I think I'm happy getting a cymbal a month. By the way, that's another good feeling. A job. I hate working, but now I have gear next summer to tour with. And that is cool beans with me. I'd rather make less money having fun.

About what kit you get, I don't care man. If you've narrowed it down to a Starclassic or a DW then that's that. Sure, be open to other things if something better comes along, but if that is your dream kit go for it. Think to yourself "Will I love this kit a decade from now?" Don't settle for second best if you think it's the last kit you'll buy.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Well heres the thing, right now in highschool, I have a job and VERY little expenses. So I wanna get most of the drum stuff Im gonna need before I leave high school. Getting the money for a $2700 drumset is gonna take a while, not to mention Im going for top of the line cymbals and hardware, so yea it probably is a better choice to go with the superstars.

-SP Hardware
    -PST5 Cymbals

User Info Menu

I say go big.

The feeling you'll get when you first sit down at them will be like nothing else.

Maybe it's just me, and I had this same issue with guitar, but whenever I'd be playing a medium-level instrument I always have this voice in the back of my head that says "It could be better..." I had this for a long time and finally went out and bought my dream amp and guitar and that voice went away for good.

I've had that voice for a long time with my drumset so now I'm saving up for my dream set, Ludwig Classic Maples (or DW Collectors... it'll basically be a coin flip) and I'm stoked.

I know this "it could be better" mentality is not a good one, and I fully realize that GREAT sounds can come from medium and even low quality stuff, but it's just a stupid thing about myself I guess haha.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

I think, if you're saving for anything drums, you have to be patient above all else. You might want, say, this Zildjian K but a week later, there's this great deal on a Sabian HHX that you cannot pass up, and it's 40% of the price it is new. What i'm saying is, you want the Starclassics but a deal may come by for a Renown later on that you know you can't pass up. The Renowns are still GREAT drums, but just because you have your heart set on one thing, doesn't mean you have to stick with it. I had my heart set on an A Custom, but a deal came along for an AA and after hearing it, I absolutely could not pass it up, and I got an epic china along with it even though I was figuring it would suck because I didn't try it out first.

I know you still have the PST5's so maybe instead of going all out on the Starclassics right away, you wait for a better deal to come your way (heck, maybe you could get a deal on used Starclassics!) and then use the money you saved to get better cymbals and more hardware.

Just my $.02.

Jordi
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Tama make great gear no matter whether it's the Superstars or Starclassics. I've a Starclassic Maple 13x5.5" that is pretty much my No.1 snare for live and recording (I do use my others too, but this one is just pure gold for me). If I do decide to get a full Starclassic kit, for me I'd either get the Starclassic Maple or Bubinga (I've toyed with the idea of a Sonor Bubinga, but I just don't fancy the idea of waiting months on end for replacement Sonor parts whilst Tama can deliver them much much quicker).

As others might have mentioned, "intermediate" kits from drum companies these days are so much better than quite a number of years back.....an example is the Ludwig Epics I recently got in Black Burst To Natural Fade. The snare is just awesomely crisp! I took the kit for a trial run doing a home visit lesson today, introducing one of my students to the art of jazz drumming with brushes, showing them how to developing a nice light touch with the high tuned toms and kick, how to "feather" the bass drum and so forth, she loved it, said it was the best kit she'd ever seen, very vintage looking with it's finish and the Antique Bronze lugs and fittings and so forth. And all the drums just sing with the Coated Ambassador heads on.

So if you do go for a great quality kit, don't forget that whilst we often get bedazzled looking at the high end of the drum market, sometimes the kit that you will be the happiest with might often be that one that has been overlooked by others trying to pursue that "ultimate drumkit". And I'm speaking from the experience of having bought a second-hand Rogers set as my first ever drumkit in the late 80's (and a second Roger's kit, bought third-hand in the 90's), at a time when everyone I knew was going nuts over Pearl, Tama's and Yamahas....sure, whilst they had some great sounding sets, the drummers playing them in my end of town sort of sounded all the same, whereas there was no mistaking my kit's sound or look. In the end it took them 20 odd years to catch up to my taste in drums, lol. So in the end, get the drums that are going to make you happy and are going to help you get your voice on the drumset.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 07-03-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Make sure the need justifies the expense. Tama Superstars are one of the best kits out there for the money you can get, especially the last generation of them. I'm sure you'll hear from the other owners of them and get a better idea of what to expect when playing some. It more or less depends on what you're willing to spend, but the thing that makes a kit sound good is most of the time- the player.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Bubingabill makes a great point. If you are in to SC's, I would look used. You definitely can get a used SC kit for the price of new Superstars. I've seen SC Birch and Performer B/B kits used for under $1k, so that's definitely a good option.

Obviously the choice is yours, I'll just repeat that I think you'll get more satisfaction out of upgrading the whole kit, rather than just the shells.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

If its gonna be the last kit you buy, buy based on aesthetics. Find the finish you want, then see who makes it closest to your price. Just about every line of drums that goes for 600 and up can be had for a lifetime, as long as its taken care of.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Well heres the thing, right now in highschool, I have a job and VERY little expenses. So I wanna get most of the drum stuff Im gonna need before I leave high school.
    Smart move, I did that and now I dont have to pick between bills and drum gear

I agree with alot thats been said, intermediate kits are amazing, cymbals is what should be high end, as you can make bad drums sound better, but you cant make bad cymbals sound better.

Almost any company you go with has great intermediate stuff, its just down to options, price and finishes.

User Info Menu

Let me maybe clear up my statement some.

I'm not saying you can't get a good set with any other options than Starclassics. I'm saying if you want something totally unique you'll want to consider Bubinga. Here's why.

I had purchased a complete 6 pc set of SONOR 3007's. They were all maple shells and a stunning lacquer finish. I also had a set of DW collector series drums in a 7 pc configuration and even had to buy the matching snare separately. I know the DW's were at least 3 times the price of the SONOR's but when tuned correctly they both sounded so close to the other, you honestly couldn't tell them apart without visual help.

I had the Bubinga's in the house at the same time. They were less expensive than the DW's.

BUT, overall the Bubinga's didn't sound like the DW's which sounded like the SONOR's which sounded like the Pearl MCX's which sounded like any other maple kit I had.

Hardware, shell finish and mounting hardware all play a small role in the overall quality of your drum KIT. But for sound consideration, you aren't going to have that much of a difference in sound from matching wood to matching wood.

If you are going "high end" you need to justify why. Brand name isn't enough. You need something for your difference in price. Bubinga can justify price.

From this point forward, I can't justify buying DW over SONOR when I know they both can sound the same even though there is a significant difference in price.

I hope that makes better sense/cents.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

I'm not saying you can't get a good set with any other options than Starclassics. I'm saying if you want something totally unique you'll want to consider Bubinga. Here's why.

I had purchased a complete 6 pc set of SONOR 3007's. They were all maple shells and a stunning lacquer finish. I also had a set of DW collector series drums in a 7 pc configuration and even had to buy the matching snare separately. I know the DW's were at least 3 times the price of the SONOR's but when tuned correctly they both sounded so close to the other, you honestly couldn't tell them apart without visual help.

I had the Bubinga's in the house at the same time. They were less expensive than the DW's.

BUT, overall the Bubinga's didn't sound like the DW's which sounded like the SONOR's which sounded like the Pearl MCX's which sounded like any other maple kit I had.

Hardware, shell finish and mounting hardware all play a small role in the overall quality of your drum KIT. But for sound consideration, you aren't going to have that much of a difference in sound from matching wood to matching wood.

If you are going "high end" you need to justify why. Brand name isn't enough. You need something for your difference in price. Bubinga can justify price.

From this point forward, I can't justify buying DW over SONOR when I know they both can sound the same even though there is a significant difference in price.

Wise words. Great stuff.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

For the record, I love my Sonor 3007's to death.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

Very well stated!
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K