Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pawn shop program rips off drummer

User Info Menu

Default Pawn shop program rips off drummer

I was watching this television show in one of the biggest department store size Pawn Shop. This drummer walked in with a 10 Pearl Session kit with Sabian cymbals ( 6 that I could count) with all the hardware and cases. He told the pawn shop manager that he had 10,000 invested in this it and wanted to know how they would give him cause he strapped for cash. After setting it up and playing a little solo they had one of the pawn shop guys try it out and he was amazed at the sound of the drums. They did sound good. Now hold on to your seats cause this unbelievable. The drummer said he would like at least 2500 for it. The pawn offered him 350 do you believe that 350 and the fool took it I almost died. I would of given he 2500 and paid for the shipping to Canada cause that is how much of a good deal it was. I think the drummer has a period of time to come back and buy the kit back. I hope he does cause man that is a shame and now you wonder why I hate pawn shops they pray on the down and out people all the time.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pawn shop program rips off drummer

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I hope he does cause man that is a shame and now you wonder why I hate pawn shops they pray on the down and out people all the time.
    To be fair, the guy didn't have to take the deal. He could have spent the time, effort and expense to advertise and wait out the selling ordeal or just give in to the easiest way to an end result.

He apparently wasn't too worried about actual value. He just wanted some quick cash. You never know what you'd do when things get scary tight. Sometimes survival mode makes you do things you'd not normally do.

Just sayin'...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    To be fair, the guy didn't have to take the deal. He could have spent the time, effort and expense to advertise and wait out the selling ordeal or just give in to the easiest way to an end result.

He apparently wasn't too worried about actual value. He just wanted some quick cash. You never know what you'd do when things get scary tight. Sometimes survival mode makes you do things you'd not normally do.

Just sayin'...
    I agree with you Bish. This guy wasn't just a kid with no monetary value. This man is in his 40's he had to be desperate man and wonder why. I know the economy in the U.S. is not so good. The Pawn shop owner even said this was the busiest year for people deperately in need of cash. He had line ups like a busy Supermarket and it was sad to see. I hope I never get that desperate.

ThePloughman Guest

Kind of funny, the tv star pawn shop guy offered 650 last season for a rewrapped set of slingerland drums....... and the guy wouldnt take it. Had the seller done that, the pawn shop guy would have been royally hosed. The rewrap would be worth about 250 max, there were issues. It isnt all one sided. You dont have to take the offer. Plus for the most part, what you have invested in a kit doesnt matter one whit when it comes to selling, desperation or planned. I have owned the five thousand dollar Ayotte Custom drumset you couldnt off for a grand. Its all about what you can get for it, when the time comes to part with it.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 07-03-2011 at 11:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Its retail. The shop owner doesnt care what the item is/was worth, he only cares what he can sell it for.

User Info Menu

What a joke. I'd of given him 4k easily, especially if the drums are good condition and sounding great. 350 really is insulting, so if I were the owner i'd put them back in my car and say have a nice day fellas.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

thats CRAZY! it almost makes it look like the guy just did it to get on television. but i agree MCX man, alot of people here would have paid straight cash if it was as good as you explained.

User Info Menu

Wow, that's nuts. I guess there is a reason those guys are so rich from running a pawn shop though.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

At the end of the day, the pawn shop has to make money as well. While I agree that 350 seems low, the guy could have talked them into giving him a little bit more. Above all, he chose to sell them to the pawn shop. Nobody forced him to.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Maybe the guy needed cash to feed his kids or something? 350 could have fed him long enough to wait for some extra income. Who knows. Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them, regardless of investment.

User Info Menu

ive had to pawn a few things in my life, sometimes id go back and get it out of pawn, other times it wasnt worth it. sell my drums? no way. ive taken a bath on everything ive ever sold, cars, guitars and so on. i wont set foot in a pawn shop ever again, they smell like death. bad juju.

User Info Menu

I hear you all. He could of sold them privately for more. God only knows the reason why he gave them away so cheap. Still it hurts to see someone that desperate.

User Info Menu

now that ive thought about it im inclined to think it was a set-up. how hard is it to sell a drumset of that quality to a music shop and get a halfway decent price? priced right on craigslist it would sell in a day.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Pawn shop program rips off drummer

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    now that ive thought about it im inclined to think it was a set-up. how hard is it to sell a drumset of that quality to a music shop and get a halfway decent price? priced right on craigslist it would sell in a day.
    You are probably right that it was a set up but not sure. This only makes the Pawn Shop look bad or maybe it is a gimmick to get drummers over there and fight it off for the best offer. That makes more sense to me what do you think.

User Info Menu

Or maybe it was the fact that he can buy it back from the pawn shop owner within a certain amount of time, while if he sold it to a music shop or online it would definitely be gone forever.

User Info Menu

I watch that show. The sellers are foolish. People will do crazy things for a quick buck. I don't fault the Pawn shop...they are a business and they are in it to make money. By and large, people are stupid.

User Info Menu

Which TV series was that from? I've seen two different pawn type shows, one from Las Vegas and one from Detroit. Are there others? BTW the show from Las Vegas is probably my current favorite TV show. I like to pause the DVR when the camera pans past a set of drums in the shop just to see what they've got.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Pawn shop program rips off drummer

The one in Las Vegas is called "PAWN STARS" and the one in Detroit is called 'HARDCORE PAWN" (is it just me or do they have gutter-level thoughts about pawn-shop reality shows? )

Pawn shops, like it or not, are in business to make a profit; that old stock markest cliche of "buy low, sell high" comes to mind. From what I've seen of PAWN STARS, one of the managers has a go-to list of experts in other areas they may not know that much about. Sounds to me like the guy who offered so little on the Pearl kit didn't want to fool with it (10 drums with cases, etc. take up mucho floor space). Guess he figures they'll sit there forever.

On the other hand, you end up with a situation like mine. I found a pair of Meinl bongos for $49 at a local pawn shop. All they needed was a little cleaning and tuning to get them lookin' and soundin' great. Apparently the guys at the pawn shop where I was looking neither knew what Meinl bongos were or just plain didn't want a pair of bongos cluttering up the place (this shop has mucho guitars, jewelry and tools that move pretty quickly. Drums don't).

Ya pays your money (or not) and ya takes your chances, as they say...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I was watching this television show in one of the biggest department store size Pawn Shop. This drummer walked in with a 10 Pearl Session kit with Sabian cymbals ( 6 that I could count) with all the hardware and cases. He told the pawn shop manager that he had 10,000 invested in this it and wanted to know how they would give him cause he strapped for cash. After setting it up and playing a little solo they had one of the pawn shop guys try it out and he was amazed at the sound of the drums. They did sound good. Now hold on to your seats cause this unbelievable. The drummer said he would like at least 2500 for it. The pawn offered him 350 do you believe that 350 and the fool took it I almost died. I would of given he 2500 and paid for the shipping to Canada cause that is how much of a good deal it was. I think the drummer has a period of time to come back and buy the kit back. I hope he does cause man that is a shame and now you wonder why I hate pawn shops they pray on the down and out people all the time.
    Sounds like he borrowed the money against the kit. How could someone let a kit like that go for $350? You'd have to be strung out on drugs....at the time....or just borrowing against the kit. He should be able to come back and get the kit back after he pays the loan back, better not be late.

If he actually sold the kit, he's an idiot.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Which TV series was that from? I've seen two different pawn type shows, one from Las Vegas and one from Detroit. Are there others? BTW the show from Las Vegas is probably my current favorite TV show. I like to pause the DVR when the camera pans past a set of drums in the shop just to see what they've got.
    I am not sure which one it was cause I just happen to click on that show by accident and was curious then I saw the deal about the drums. This might help it is a family run pawn shop with the father long hair combed back, daughter dark short hair with a *****y face who is constantly fighting with her brother. Does that sound like the Las Vegas show.

User Info Menu

I am not sure which one it was cause I just happen to click on that show by accident and was curious then I saw the deal about the drums. This might help it is a family run pawn shop with the father long hair combed back, daughter dark short hair with a *****y face who is constantly fighting with her brother. Does that sound like the Las Vegas show.
    I've never seen the Detroit show, but the Las Vegas is run by 3 guys. Don't recall seeing a woman on the show.

User Info Menu

That's not the Vegas show, and from what I've seen on the Vegas show they are reasonable. People see something is worth $3k so they want $3k from the Pawn Shop, which is silly. The store generally gives 40-50% depending on the item, which is pretty normal for any retail store.

As for the kit in the story, I agree it was probably pawned, which is a loan against it not a sale.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

That's the Detroit show. Hardcore Pawn.

You have to take into account that the economy is in the toilet in Detroit right now. The unemployment rate is 11.6% there. People in the region are hurting for money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    The one in Las Vegas is called "PAWN STARS" and the one in Detroit is called 'HARDCORE PAWN" (is it just me or do they have gutter-level thoughts about pawn-shop reality shows? )

Pawn shops, like it or not, are in business to make a profit; that old stock markest cliche of "buy low, sell high" comes to mind. From what I've seen of PAWN STARS, one of the managers has a go-to list of experts in other areas they may not know that much about. Sounds to me like the guy who offered so little on the Pearl kit didn't want to fool with it (10 drums with cases, etc. take up mucho floor space). Guess he figures they'll sit there forever.

On the other hand, you end up with a situation like mine. I found a pair of Meinl bongos for $49 at a local pawn shop. All they needed was a little cleaning and tuning to get them lookin' and soundin' great. Apparently the guys at the pawn shop where I was looking neither knew what Meinl bongos were or just plain didn't want a pair of bongos cluttering up the place (this shop has mucho guitars, jewelry and tools that move pretty quickly. Drums don't).

Ya pays your money (or not) and ya takes your chances, as they say...
    Yeah, like yourself BB, there's been a few good scores I've had from pawn shops time to time. A basic Gibraltar rack for less than AU$100. My Paiste 2002 Medium Ride (with the old-school black lettering) for AU$150. And I scored two Pearl cymbal stands (one a straight, the other a boom stand) for one of my students for about AU$70. Unheard of prices over here. Couldn't even get them that cheap on Trading Post.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I can only hope it's fake. TV producers need material for their show, would it be unreasonable to presume there was a whole setup planned out before it aired to make the actors some money? Perhaps they still have the set, as do the other people on the show that act as sellers.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments