Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewire Recommendations?

User Info Menu

Default Firewire Recommendations?

I'm getting ready to drop some cash in firewire now that I have my mac. I want an Interface with phantom power obviously for condensers.

What I'm recording:
    -Full drum kit
    -Guitar
    -Guitar
    -Bass guitar
    -Vocals

I want something that sounds pretty clean. I'm just doing demo basement recordings so I'm not looking to drop major cash

300-$500 would be ideal. I looked at the presonus firestudio project a little and it seems good to me.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: Firewire Recommendations?

The presonus would be fine or you can go on ebay and pickup a 003/002 for the same price. the digi stuff has 8 inputs four of which have pre's and 4 line level. also you can light pipe in an extra 8 channels using and ADAT. Finally there is SPDF input for a total of 18 inputs when maxed out. also the 003 has an the ability to word clock externally to improve the sound. You can also have black lion modify the 002/003 series and will sound like a 30000 rig. can you tell I like the digi stuff? Anyway the presonus stuff word work great as well. The profire is another nice option that Black lion audio modifies as well.

User Info Menu

Oh I forgot to add, if you end up with an 002 or 003. DO NOT unplug or plug the firewire cable into the unit or computer with either on. It will blow the firewire chip which requires a repair unless you know how to solder a firewire chip on a circuit board.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Oh I forgot to add, if you end up with an 002 or 003. DO NOT unplug or plug the firewire cable into the unit or computer with either on. It will blow the firewire chip which requires a repair unless you know how to solder a firewire chip on a circuit board.
    With my current setup there is a possibility of things getting moved an unplugged so I think I may avoid the 002/003. I like Digi stuff but I really don't want that risk even if it is super slim lol
    -Steven

User Info Menu

unless you want to buy a bunch of preamps or a mixing desk ..don't skimp on a interface you will pay for it in the long run no matter what..

User Info Menu

I use a phonic 808.. Has a lot of different ins and outs, plus multiple types of connectivity(midi, usb 2, firewire) and you can link the units together for more inputs. I think it sounds great for the 300 I paid.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    unless you want to buy a bunch of preamps or a mixing desk ..don't skimp on a interface you will pay for it in the long run no matter what..
    Trust me, when I invest in a full studio setup I won't skimp on anything. But currently I make minimum wage and really want something that will work for the learning experience. I hear a lot of people that are pretty happy with the presonus firepod so for $300 i may start there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I use a phonic 808.. Has a lot of different ins and outs, plus multiple types of connectivity(midi, usb 2, firewire) and you can link the units together for more inputs. I think it sounds great for the 300 I paid.
    I don't know to much about phonic, but the 808 looks like a pretty stable piece of gear. I wonder how it compares to the firpod seeing as they are the same price range.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Just make sure you can record more than 8 channels at once by adding extra channels and you have a computer that can handle it … then you should be fine

User Info Menu

Just make sure you can record more than 8 channels at once by adding extra channels and you have a computer that can handle it … then you should be fine
    The firepods can be daisy chained to go above the 8 channel multitracking and come with cubase if i get a used one (the firepod rather than the fp10) and I'm running a macbook pro with a core 2 duo (2.66ghz)
    -Steven

User Info Menu

FYI, if you plan on using pro tools they will not aggregate units unfortunately unless using Pro tools HD and an approved unit.

User Info Menu

get a M audio 2626 8 inputs, firewire and you can daisy chain to another 2 for a total of 24 channels
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    The firepods can be daisy chained to go above the 8 channel multitracking and come with cubase if i get a used one (the firepod rather than the fp10) and I'm running a macbook pro with a core 2 duo (2.66ghz)

buying multiple units sounds expensive ..

User Info Menu

buying multiple units sounds expensive ..
    I also am looking at the Focusrite Pro 40, Reviews give it the advantage.
    It has 2 headphone inputs, an optical in and out, "Features high quality A-D / D-A conversion and JetPLL™ jitter reduction technology"

it also is compatible with pro tools 9
    -Steven

User Info Menu

More features, more stuff to learn.. Get ready for the headaches.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I also am looking at the Focusrite Pro 40, Reviews give it the advantage.
    It has 2 headphone inputs, an optical in and out, "Features high quality A-D / D-A conversion and JetPLL™ jitter reduction technology"

it also is compatible with pro tools 9
    im using the focusrite liquid saffire 56 ..there flagship

its really good...iv been using abelton live for the DAW

i still want to get some better preamps but these are great for a home studio ..

User Info Menu

im using the focusrite liquid saffire 56 ..there flagship

its really good...iv been using abelton live for the DAW

i still want to get some better preamps but these are great for a home studio ..
    Focusrite just came out with Rednet which I have been looking at closely. I am currently coming off of the 002 signature mod by Black lion and will either be using an aurora lynx converter with an Avid HD native card or Pro tools HD core card. But now with the Rednet I am going to have to re address my direction.

User Info Menu

focusrite make some great vts's too ...top shelf stuff

User Info Menu

Yeah everything that I've heard about focusrite has been good so far, where as presonus has had a few complaints (which i assume is because more people use presonus so theres more people to complain)

I think I may go with the focusrite...
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP and a behringer ada8000 ...done
    Last edited by itchie; 07-08-2011 at 11:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP and a behringer ada8000 ...done
    Okay I actually was hoping to do an ada converter with a firewire interface. My problem with this setup is the ada8000, I've used them in a few different situations and can't decide if i like them or not.

I ran a m audio firewire interface with two ada8000 into it for a little bit at school. any other ada converters you'd recommend too? if not I can handle behringer i guess lol.

and the DSP, what is the significant difference compared to the non DSP? It sounds like its latency is better

and will the Pro 24 and the ADA8000 be able to hand guitar and bass inputs? or will i need to invest in some sm57's too?
    EDIT: I looked into it and the Pro 24 won't let me plug instruments directly into it. Which would require either more mics or another small mixing board and I would have to do premxing if i did that, which semi kills my multitracking goal lol
    Last edited by Zeta; 07-08-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I have put my Behringer ADA8000 to the side in my studio an do not use it anymore. I had it modified by Black Lion Audio which changed out the opamps in it giving it more headroom and clarity, but it was still relatively muddy sounding and was being delegated to less important tracks down the line like the tom mics and subkick. It is very hard to get good conversion and preamps on one unit without spending a large amount of money. I have now gone to a Lucid 8824 8 channel converter light piped to my 002 and clocked off of the Black lion audio signature modified 002. Then I have separate preamps running to the converters. I am getting a wonderful depth and 3D sound to my tracks that I have not had before.

User Info Menu

I would love to have black lion mods, but I'm on a budget still :/. I'm trying to find the most bang for my buck basically. I'd like to keep it around $500 total, and I need enough channels to pick up: Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Drums, and maybe 1 more guitar. I can get way with 4 mics on the kit if I need to. so I would like at least 8 channels to start.'

My thought is this. Start with the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 to get me 8 channels (2 of which can be guitar and bass) with 8 channels I would have enough room to record scratch and "demo" tracks for my band.
    I can get the Pro 40 for near $350 on ebay. It comes with a software pack, including but not limited to ableton live lite 6, fxpansion, and a large amount of loops. I figure If I needed to expand to more channels in the future I can always add another pro 4 because they have 2 firewire ports and optical outs/ins. Or I could go the cheaper route with the ada8000, or even got a more expensive route if needed. A bonus is the 2 headphone outs built into the interface.

Okay I thought I would just post this because I know that ever person has a different opinion on the right way to do recording, but for me to get my foot into it this seems like the best route. Is this a respectable start? I won't stay at 8 channels for to long but I only can buy 1 piece of gear at a time while getting paid minimum wage.

Hopefully I didnt type to much :/ but I wanted to be clear.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

The led levels is nice too, not many lower priced units have that going for them.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

this is my current setup..

picked up the liquid 56 for the price of a pro 40, $1000 AUS ...and the ada8000 cost me $260 AUS

the behringer preamps are fine ..just save the good ones for kick, snare, vocals and guitars
    Last edited by itchie; 07-08-2011 at 11:30 PM.

User Info Menu

picked up the liquid 56 for the price of a pro 40, $1000 AUS ...and the ada8000 cost me $260 AUS

the behringer preamps are fine ..just save the good ones for kick, snare, vocals and guitars
    So you are saying that the Pro 40 would be a good starting point? or not?
    -Steven