Thread: Rock Drumming

User Info Menu

Default Rock Drumming

Alright, so we all know that learning more genres of drumming/music helps broaden your creativity, technique, and makes you an all around better musician.

Before I journey off into the world of jazz, funk, latin, ect I feel that I need to nail the styles I've already been working with (I've only been playing for about a year and a half so I still have plenty of room to improve)

First on the list is Rock, of course, and I started by breaking it up into different sub-genres and adding some bands to each sub-genre to get a good taste of each.

Other then just that, what do you guys think will help me become proficient in rock drumming? Or in other words, what makes a rock drummer.. well, a rock drummer.

Sorry if I'm being too wordy or detailed.. haha

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rock Drumming

Less is more.

User Info Menu

I think you will get a variety of answers to this question. I think a "Rock Drummer" is different things to different people.

Each one has thier own little signature groove or beat or style and drum kit setup.

Peart has the massive kit with all the bells and whistles and he uses everything on that kit! He's known for his odd time signatures ect.

Bonham is kinda known for his distinctive beats, mostly doubling and tripling with the bass drum alot. Fast triplets ect.

The drum tuning they use sometimes.

Those are two drummers I grew up with, and have listened to alot of thier music. I guess to me what makes a Rock Drummer is his style.

To me, I play along with songs but I myself try different fills and stuff while playing along with songs. I like working on my own beats. It's just fun to experiment. I like playing along with Zepplin not just because I like Bonhams beats, they can be challenging to master. The toughest being I play with a single bass pedal, forces me to speed up my bass pedal foot. It feels great when you get it.

My drum teacher always stressed to me to expeand out onto my own. Don't get caught in a rut following the pack to much. So I still work on my own beats after playing songs.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

ROCK

DRUMMER

Seriously, I have no idea. Perhaps it can be over-analyzed. Someone once said, "Just Play!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Seriously, I have no idea. Perhaps it can be over-analyzed. Someone once said, "Just Play!"
    This says a lot Aviator.

I would start with what rock beats, songs, fills, etc. inspire and intrigue you personally. Just take the time and learn what you like to hear and play. Once you feel comfortable with what you learn, you can start building and developing your own style from that. Also, don't forget about practicing rudiments.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Learning the other styles first! They help in rock drumming big time, especially jazz!
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Good timing
    Practice
    Lessons(online or face to face)
    Try and bang out a few rock song covers
    Put your soul into everything you play
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

What sort of rock are you talking about? There's a tremendous range of drumming styles within the "rock" umbrella...Danny Carey (Tool) and Phil Rudd (AC/DC) could both fall under the category of rock drummers but their styles of drumming are totally different. Maybe we can be more helpful if you be more specific about what kind of music you have in mind.
    Matt

User Info Menu

An easy way to go about it is to pick several drummers who have completely different styles. Play along to their albums and be able to emulate all of them. You should be able to fit in anywhere after that.
    It also helps if you can find an open minded band to play in and develop your personal style a bit.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47