Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticks!!!

User Info Menu

Default Sticks!!!

I'm thinking of switching from Vater 5A Wood to Pro-mark 5A Wood. Vater has been really disappointing lately. The only thing i remember about pro-mark, is they were always a little top heavy. Some pros and cons would be awesome!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sticks!!!

Sorry TS but I cant offer anything because Im not a fan of either stick.

Ive never used Vater and 1 time about 25 years ago I purchased a pair of Promark sticks only to get home and find they are warped.

I have used Regal sticks for the past 30 some years and have no com[plaints at all. My son used Vater and he liked them.

Welcome to the board too before I forget to say something.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome! You know, I may just give some regal tips a try. I've got nothing else to lose.

User Info Menu

What problems are you having with vater? I've used them for a few years in a row now and have had no regrets switching to vater. I feel that they have the most durable sticks, as well as the most consistent.

If you are experiencing a problem with them, I'd try emailing their customer service. They have a great customer service team and I'm sure they would go out of their way to make sure you are happy.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

My main problem is that when I buy the 4 pair pack, about half (sometimes less) seem to be duds. Namely, splitting just below tip turning the stick into a death spear, while the other stick is barely chewed. I've always been quite happy with Vater and this has only become a problem within the last 6 months. It's like I'm paying 24 bucks for 2 pairs of sticks and hopefully a backup. I may give their CS a try and see what they can tell me. BTW, thanks for the responses!

User Info Menu

I tryed out Vater's 2B at a party last weekend but decided to go back to Regal Tip's 2B's. My favorite part of the Regal 2B is the diameter! and the laquer and print on the stick is pretty slick too.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I just switched for the time being to pro mark 5a hickory from ahead sticks. I'm happy with them for now. The don't see top heavy, and so far they are tough with very little chipping.

User Info Menu

Welcome to dc 2Sticks. Have not tried the Vater's for comparison, but I did have the Pro Mark's you described for awhile. For me, a wood tip actually feels a bit lighter compared to my current nylon tipped ones. A little more durable if you only use em on practice pad, but I didn't have many issues with PM's.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I play Pro-Marks. I've used them for 5 years with no complaints. Currently using the 747 wood tips.

User Info Menu

I used to play with Sound Percussion 5a, GC always had a good price on the brick. However the wood tips split way to often. I now use Pro Mark 7a nylon tip hickory. They are one tough stick! light and sound great.

Larrysperf Guest

I have always used Steve Gad or Dave Weckle Sticks ,but was given some Ringo Star sticks and really like them

User Info Menu

I have recently fallen in love with the Pro Mark Oak 5A's. Been using them for about 2 months now, and they're barely chewed up.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by defcon235 View Post
    I have recently fallen in love with the Pro Mark Oak 5A's. Been using them for about 2 months now, and they're barely chewed up.
    Not to mention better for your teeth, oh not that chewed lol

User Info Menu

HA To be honest, I'm not very picky about my sticks, at all. But I know when I have a pair of pro-marks in my hands, they feel right.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

I had 1/2 the tip of an almost new Vater RECORDING stick shear off last week. A quick email to Vater and they shipped me a replacement pair. That's good product support.

User Info Menu

I used to be Pro-Mark player and had some Vaters. Never really had any problems with those brand of sticks prematurely breaking. But about 15 or so years ago I started using the Regal Tip 8A Jeff Porcaro model....it fits my hands perfectly plus it's absolutely reliable when it comes to endurance (mind you, I've calmed down a lot over the years of playing..I think they call that 'control'? Hehe)

.....do they help me play the 'Rosanna' shuffle though? Errr....I think the jury is still out on that one! LOL.

I also have some various Vic Firth models, such as the E-Stick (ironically, I seem to never use it for electronic drumming, but a great acoustic kit stick nevertheless), the Vic Firth HD4, the (American Jazz) AJ6, and occasionally the Pro-Mark Phil Collins Signature Stick ( a short, 14 3/4" length stick)....and no, that stick hasn't turned me into the drumming gorilla on the Cadbury's ad either, lol.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I'm switching over to Pro Mark 5A oak sticks. I've been using this pair for 2 months and they are chewed but not cracked. I'm becoming a fairly hard hitter too learning underoath and paramore stuff.

I will never use Zildjian sticks anymore unless its all I can get. I had a pair of them and just did not like them. they broke pretty quick between me using an ekit and 1 time a week on an acoustic kit for lessons.

Here are my preferences...
    1. Pro Mark Oak
    2. Vic Firth Hickory
    3. Vater

Vic Firth and Pro Mark are near a tie for me, I may buy a brick of both and see how I feel.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I just switched to ProMark oak in the same size I had been using (Vic Firth). I wanted a bit more weight, but not a bigger stick. I can probably make a pair of these last several months before breakage.

User Info Menu

I buy a "brick" of 24-36 pr. of the cheapest nylon tipped 5A's I can find. Usually last about a year. Always take three pairs to a gig, just in case. I still treat myself to Regal Tips occasionally.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Not to mention better for your teeth, oh not that chewed lol
    ROTFL! You sound like Euell Gibbons."Ever eat a pine tree"?

Ive been using Vic Firths with good results.The Oak Pro marks weight felt good but mine got warped too years ago so I switched.Maybe they pay more attention to that problem now.
    Last edited by LudwigLifer; 09-18-2011 at 09:57 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

I've had quite a variety, but never really had the chance to choose very often, mostly been given. My Favourites are vic firth 2b's or 5b's. I love both equally.

User Info Menu

Sorry, haha, my post had nothing to do with the question :S Can't help, sorry.

User Info Menu

I've often found Vater sticks too be overly heavy or just felt "not right" in my hands. I've been using Pro-Mark sticks for years. Every once in a while I'll buy something else just to check it out, and I always switch back to my Pro-marks pretty quickly. Love the Simon Philips 707s and sometimes the 5A Pro Round for something in a smaller tip if I need it.
    A repo man spends his life getting into tense situations.

Premier Cabria Jazz: 10/12/14/20
    Mapex Dillinger Snare
    Sabian:
    AA 14" Regular Hats
    AAX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    AAX 20" Studio Ride
    HHX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    Paragon 19" Chinese
    Evans
    Vater Stewart Copeland Drumsticks

User Info Menu

Vic Firths for me! And I know what you mean about some of the Pro Marks. They always felt a little top heavy to me too.

User Info Menu

is it just me

i find the stores wont sell bricks of any brand 5A wood tips..(online yes)

but they will sell 5B ,5A nylon tip ........i sware they see me coming a mile away .."quick hide the bricks i see itchie coming "