Thread: Remo Weatherking Black Suede Emperor Tom heads...Help!

User Info Menu

Default Remo Weatherking Black Suede Emperor Tom heads...Help!

so i got the remo black suede emperors and remo weatherking black x snare batter head. i got the snare head to the point of where i love the sound of it, but then theres the black suede emperor heads. no matter how much i tune them i cant get a good sound out of them especially the floor tom. on the floor tom theres a spot where it feels like the head isnt seated right at all, like i can push down the spot where the head meets the wood but on the other side its perfect, and it sounds like crap. any suggestions on how tight to tune it or anything else? right now i have a PDP Z5 and stock reso heads

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo Weatherking Black Suede Emperor Tom heads...Help!

Z5? Not at all dissing your drums but aren't those lacking in lugs compared to more "pro"'drums? That can affect tuning, as you don't get even tension all around the head.

User Info Menu

For starters, the head on your floor tom is installed improperly. You do not want a little pocket like that on one side, that will kill resonance and make your head sound completely dead. I suggest taking your hoop and head off, using some wd40 in the lugs, and then put the head back on and tune it up. Tune it up using the crossing method so you get equal tension around the head, and continue to tune up in small increments until you get the sound where you want it.

In general though, make sure your reso heads are tuned properly. For maximum resonance, try to match the reso head pitch to the batter head pitch, or make the reso head a little bit higher than the batter. Either of these will produce a very good sounding drum, with the identical pitched heads producing the most resonance possible. Make sure that all of the lugs have equal pitches, and you should be able to get a good sound of your drums then.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Sounds like the floor tom head wasn't tuned well, and not seated. You may want to detune the head, and redo it so that it is. When you do retune the head, finger tighten each rod, and go lug to furthest opposing lug in a star pattern applying even tension as you tune up. Put something in the center of the drum to weigh it down a little bit. Keep in mind that due to the thickness of the head, it's not designed for high tunings so keep it medium to low for it's best tone. Can you show pictures of the head, and possibly the bearing edges of your drums if possible?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    Z5? Not at all dissing your drums but aren't those lacking in lugs compared to more "pro"'drums? That can affect tuning, as you don't get even tension all around the head.
    the toms are 6 lug, bass 8. i have a Z5 and it tuned in 10 mins and sounds pretty good for what it is, a student kit. i agree the floor tom is not seated.
    im thinking your head choice may have missed the mark. i put on a Evans Gplus coated to see how the 12 tom would sound (they sounded bad on my Pearl) and the Z5 sounded worse. i put G2 clears on the toms, emad on the bass and an EC1 reverse dot on the snare, everything sounds good (like a better kit) except for the snare, the Z5 snare is a horrid lil thing, theres no hope for it.
    the shallow fusion sizes tune up very fast, too much tension and they will riiiiinnnngggg!
    Last edited by kyle102565; 07-08-2011 at 06:23 AM.

User Info Menu

thanks for the help everyone

kyle102565 : the snare sounds alright if you make the heads and the wires really tight, try the remo black x on it

russ : here are the pictures

Meinl
    Han Chi
    Evans
    Remo
    PDP
    Dixon
    Vater
    Promark
    Tama
    Pearl

User Info Menu

here are pictures http://imageshack.us/g/853/20110708092033743.jpg/

kyle, i got my Z5 snare to sound decent with the remo black x head...i juts had to tighten everything
    Meinl
    Han Chi
    Evans
    Remo
    PDP
    Dixon
    Vater
    Promark
    Tama
    Pearl

User Info Menu

Great to hear it worked out well for you Sinn. I couldn't see any hugely noticeable flaws in your bearing edges, and anything I could from your heads appeared to be nothing worse than how it looks by the camera. There was one small scratch on your edge in picture #6, but I don't see it becoming an issue. Just try to keep the heads tuned evenly, replace the resos, and you should have a killer sound going on.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Sounds like youre trying to tune the head to low.

User Info Menu

yea i am trying to get the head low possibly borderline bass drum, and i re-tuned the head twice and the pocket is still there, i made sure the head was seated before i put on the hoop and the lugs, im thinking its something wrong with the actual head now, im thinking the 2 layers weren't put on right in that one spot
    Meinl
    Han Chi
    Evans
    Remo
    PDP
    Dixon
    Vater
    Promark
    Tama
    Pearl

User Info Menu

While possible, first I'd try to rule out any possibility that it is your drum.

#1 - Take off the head and rotate it 180 degrees. Look to see if the pocket is in the same spot on the drumhead itself, or in the same location on the drumshell.

#2 - If the pocket does not rotate 180 degrees, remove the head and hoop and then get a tape measure and measure your drum's diameter from multiple points around the shell. If the drum is not in round, (different diameters depending on where you measure), then the drum is causing the problem, not the head.

#3 - If the drum is in round, then check the bearing edge. Try to find a flat surface, and move the drum around and see if the edge is even. You could also put a flashlight under the drum, and see if any light is escaping from any point. If this is the case, your drum is causing the problem, not the head.

Best of luck.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Sounds like the head has not properly seated to the drums sound edge so you can not assess the head until its actually fitted well. This is why I prefer older style drum edges like old Gretsch drums. Sharp edges are very hard to get the plastic to mold to & limits the sweet spot tuning. You may have to use a hair dryer to apply heat to soften the plastic head at the sound edge while having a medium tension tuning & added weight on the head as you carefully apply heat. The heat softens the Mylar ( don't fry the area w/ too much heat ~ its tricky ~ I know ) and as it cools, it slightly shrink wraps to the edge. A plastic head is so very uniform that the shell & edge must also be as perfect circle & flat level and w/ a sound edge friendly to plastic heads. Sharp edges...are not ! Heads for snare drums are not necessarily ideal for lower tuned toms & floor toms. Proper gauged heads will have differing over tones or will mute over tones, & sound control options are also a good idea, like sound control dots that are peel / stick. I make my own from plastic bumper stickers & apply initially to top of head. If It sounds good, I can later apply them to underside of head. I do this alot to timbales since they are single headed & do not have a bottom head to rebound the sound to create resonance, so the single head must be tweaked a lot or will sound crappy like most new timbales w/ cheap thin heads from Asia. I always change out the new heads. I like the suede heads on timbales...but have not used them on toms, I prefer coated ambassadors or emperors depending the size of drum.