Thread: Choosing a Bass Drum head for the first time.

User Info Menu

Default Choosing a Bass Drum head for the first time.

I'm buying a new batter head for my bass drum for the first time and was wondering if you good folk could recommend a good head for me.

I've never bought or tuned a drum head before (the shop sorted out my snare and toms when I got my first kit second hand) so I don't really know where to start. My current head is quite dented and the beater has lost its felt and needs replacing too. My kick playing has recently improved and I'm doing a lot more controlled heal down playing with faster double beats, as opposed to stamping a full leg heal up four on the floor, so I'm a lot more conscious of the kick response.

The drum is a Pearl forum 22", with a standard Pearl single kick pedal. I have a pillow in the bottom for damping, it used to be a huge duvet (came with the kit), but I took that out as it was pushing on the head and killing the rebound and feel of the drum.

I don't gig and only play in a (very) small practise room, so looks, volume and projection aren't really important to me.

In terms of sound, I play mostly rock and my impression is that a flatter 'thumping' sound will suit more than the more musical 'tom' sound that the drum has picked up since I changed the damping material.

I'd like something that's fairly easy to tune, as I've no experience at all with this and need to learn! I'd also like to set it up so the bounce is good, to help with faster playing.

Any advice? Or any other factors I should be thinking about in order to choose? I'm new to doing this and keen to learn (I can't be paying the shop to tune my drums for me forever!), so all advice appreciated.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Choosing a Bass Drum head for the first time.

Sounds like you are concerned about tuning to your room, which is a good practice. I've found that an Evans emad2 or Aquarian Superkick II can get you a nice thump sound with minimal internal muffling required(they come ready to play, more or less). I personally found a home with the skII, it was cheaper at the time and I thought it was more durable so I went with it. I recommend you get a good reso for the kick when possible, to get the most out of your kick sound, unless you plan on not using a resonant head.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Larrysperf Guest

You will get all kinds of drum head choises here but you have to decide what sound you want. Evans has very good videos on how to tune your bass drum. I tune mine 1/4 turn up from wrinkle with my hand aplying pressure in middle of head
    . Look for wrinkles at lugs and up from there. this will get you a nice low thump. then fine tune from there. I use EMAD bass heads, but all the top brands are good

User Info Menu

Since you have been using muffling, I would also recommend the EMAD2, or the Superkick II. I have the EMAD2 on my Catalina kit, and I have been very happy with it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

TBH if your going for that heavy dampened sound for a small room, and not gigging, I would go for the most durable head I could find. I would suggest a good old CS or blackdot with a patch. Cheap, durable, and with your dampening it will give you the sound you want.

User Info Menu

i just recently got an Evans Emad2 on my bass and i love it. I used to have a pillow in my bass and now i have a small towel. I love the head as imakes a nice thump sound with plenty of muffling straight out of the box!

User Info Menu

I'm with Russ on the head choice...Aquarian SKII or Evans EMAD2. And I'd go for a good reso head as well. I use the Evans EQ3. The Aquarian Regulator is awesome too. I have that on my 22" kick.

I'm also with Larry on the tune. Apply a bit of pressure in the middle and tune the wrinkles out. Maybe even go up another 1/4 turn from there.

I'm currently using a Evans GMAD (1 ply) and Evans EQ3 on my 20" kick. It sounds more like a cannon than a thump...which I like.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice folks, an unusualy consistent message for Drum Chat! EMAD2 or Superkick 2.

As Superkick2 seems to be about £5 cheaper, I think I'll get one of those. I've just been up checking the kit and realised that the current, dented, batter head is Pearl branded and so almost certainly the original that came with the kit. Which I think makes it in excess of ten years old! I got the kit second hand a year ago and the head was thrashed then. I have a feeling I'm going to see a pretty substantial improvement with this!

Next will be a reso head, as that's going to be the original as well, but I have to let my wife forget the money I'm dropping on the batter before I can go for that
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Remo PS3 is another good bass batter head and affordable.

User Info Menu

Just to muddy the waters further for you...

I've tried quite a number of batter heads for my bass drum and keep coming back to a clear Ambassador! Very big, full sound.

I do add a Falam slam pad, BTW.

Just my $0.02, of course.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

IMO you can't go wrong with either a Remo PS3, Evans EMAD II or Aquarian SuperKick II. Always get a kick patch too if you want your head to last for ages (and not one of the clear plastic Evans ones, either... get a Falam slam!)
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    IMO you can't go wrong with either a Remo PS3, Evans EMAD II or Aquarian SuperKick II. Always get a kick patch too if you want your head to last for ages (and not one of the clear plastic Evans ones, either... get a Falam slam!)
    I was planning to do this. However, I'm also thinking of getting a double kick pedal towards the end of the year.

I'm guessing that removing one of those pads from the head might damage it. So, should I get a double pad now? Or do I need to position it based on the specific pedal I end up buying, in which case it would probably make sense not to get anything now and buy a pad with the pedals?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post
    I was planning to do this. However, I'm also thinking of getting a double kick pedal towards the end of the year.

I'm guessing that removing one of those pads from the head might damage it. So, should I get a double pad now? Or do I need to position it based on the specific pedal I end up buying, in which case it would probably make sense not to get anything now and buy a pad with the pedals?
    I would just go with the double pad now if you definitely plan on getting the pedal. You'll just need your beater to be in the same position, which shouldn't be a problem.

I'd avoid trying to remove the pad.

User Info Menu

I have used the EMAD2 and currently use the EMAD w/ EQ pillow. I like both heads.

User Info Menu

you will find the Evans EMAD II most versatile. Exchanging the foam rings can be a bit tiresome but worth their trouble considering the various sounds you can achieve between the combination of rings and internal dampeners
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.