Thread: Guide to learning to tune drums

User Info Menu

Default Guide to learning to tune drums

I want to learn how to tune my drums properly. So far my tutor has been doing it for me, and my own efforts have been pretty bad.

This DVD has been recommended as a good way to learn the 'basics', which is what I really want to get under my belt right now.

Anyone used this, is it any good? Any other DVD's that I should be considering?

You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Guide to learning to tune drums

I bought Bob Gatzen's dvd. I liked it. There are a bunch of clips from it in youtube. I have no knowledge of the dvd you have selected.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Before buying a DVD, I'd spend some time going through the many u-tubes on this topic (Gatzens are good, some are not so good), and take an afternoon to read the 'Drum tuning Bible', which you can download for free http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/
    Many people say they suck at tuning at first, then it just clicks, once you take the time to experiment, and to understand your drums - batter vs resonant. Now I love tuning my drums, almost as much as playing them.

User Info Menu

The more you know, the better you'll get!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    The more you know, the better you'll get!
    I nominate this post for the quote of the day.

User Info Menu

The right video, the right question here, all are good places to start to learn tuning.

But, the best way is to just work at it. Training your ear to what you want, what to adjust and how much is critical.

Small adjustments in my book are key. It's so easy to tighten to much to quick and you go right by the sweet spot.

Best is just practice and familiararity and working at it. Experimentation is a big part of learning this tuning art also to get the sound you want.

I'm still learing little things. This site is a great place to pick up on tuning tips also.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post

But, the best way is to just work at it. Training your ear to what you want, what to adjust and how much is critical.

Small adjustments in my book are key. It's so easy to tighten to much to quick and you go right by the sweet spot.

Best is just practice and familiararity and working at it. Experimentation is a big part of learning this tuning art also to get the sound you want.
    Very true advice. If anything, going by this advice will save drummers a lot of headache, especially the part on small adjustments. Half turns are good for tuning drums up to where they resonate, but after that eighth-turns and sixteenth turns should be used.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post
    Many people say they suck at tuning at first, then it just clicks, once you take the time to experiment, and to understand your drums - batter vs resonant. Now I love tuning my drums, almost as much as playing them.
    Agreed. I sucked at tuning and thought it was almost impossible for me to pick up.
    Then I just forced myself to learn. If you dont, your drums will sound like crap, and who wants that?. Not me nor the people around me...lol.

Anyway, it did just click one day and now (crosses fingers) I think I am actually pretty good at it. Fairly fast even.

I cant believe I'm gonna say this...but...it doesnt scare me and its almost fun. I enjoy experimenting with it now.

Who would of thunk it?.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Learn how to tune your own drums. Videos help if they are playing the same drums with the same heads in the same room.

You need to be able to do it by yourself. The DVD's out there are guys trying to make a buck with their "tuning secrets", but most fail to talk about the factors that come into play with drums.

#1 is acoustics. You can take a drum dial, drum tensioner, whatever, and go take the readings off somebody who has the same set as you, set the tunings the same and the odds are, they won't sound the same because your set is in a different environment.

The need to tune is something that every drummer learns out of necessity.

I've watched some of Gatzens videos, and there isn't 1 drum he tuned that I would put on my set.

Tune them up, then detune them and see how fast you can get them back to tune, then move them to your basement (or bedroom, or living room) and get the same sound back. Do that and you are on your way to learning how to tune your own drums.

User Info Menu

1. Get new or undamaged good condition heads
    2. Take your drumkey and tune them in a star pattern from lug to furthest opposing lug until the wrinkles dissappear
    3. Use your finger or drumstick and tap the space in front of each lug on your drumhead to check and match the pitches of each

Last edited by Russ; 07-13-2011 at 03:50 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    1. Get new or undamaged good condition heads
    2. Take your drumkey and tune them in a star pattern from lug to furthest opposing lug until the wrinkles dissappear
    3. Use your finger or drumstick and tap the space in front of each lug on your drumhead to check and match the pitches of each

True this! Your basic necessary steps. Real simple.

But what Rick also said holds as much value. Acoustics hold a big part in how your ear hears the drum. All the above will get you on the way. Just work at it. You'll get it, its not rocket science, just repetition.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Funny thing Russ is that the above diagrams for the six and eight lugs don't quite correspond to what I've been doing for years. With an 8 lug, I go "North South, West East" (corresponding to lugs 7 to 8, 1 to 2 in that diagram) then "NW, SE, NE, SW" (correspnding to lugs 4 to 3, 6 to 5). With a 6 lug drum, I think of the Jewish Star Of David design (so if I flipped that diagram, making the no.1 at the top of the circle, it'd correspond to lugs 1,3 and 5 first, then 2,4 and 6 for the other triangle in the star design). It's what's worked for me for a long time now, and I pretty much get a decent sound without too much mucking about.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post
    Before buying a DVD, I'd spend some time going through the many u-tubes on this topic (Gatzens are good, some are not so good), and take an afternoon to read the 'Drum tuning Bible', which you can download for free http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/
    Thanks, that's a really interesting link.

In terms of what I'm trying to achieve, I don't want to copy someone else's tuning or be given any secrets, I'm just looking for a simple guide to what does what when tuning. What kind of sounds can a drum produce, what sort of things should you be listening for, and how do you change that with the tuning.

A lot of this must seem obvious to experienced drummers, but to a newbie who has only played the drums as handed to him, I don't even know where to start. I obviously want to play around and get 'my sound', but right now I don't even know how to play around.

That's why I like the idea of a DVD,so I can see someone physically doing this stuff, and hear the difference it makes, so I have something to copy to get me started, and from there I can branch out.

It's like learning rudiments for the first time. Sure, you can read the music or have someone describe it to you. But there's no substitute for actually hearing someone play the thing and watching thier hands do it.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.