Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 8 lug bass drum question

User Info Menu

Default Re: The 8 lug bass drum question

I guess collecting, histology and detailed examining of gear is one aspect of drumming. To me, the real essence of drums, and drumming, and in a primal sense, is about the playing, and the sound, and less the hardware. It seems a lot of people get lost in the latter. If we recorded an 8 lug vs. 10 lug kick drum, could any of us tell the difference? I find it interesting to watch music videos of real recording sessions, by some great people, especially the jazz or motown guys, and you see the kit they use, sometimes Frankensteinian, unmatching, beat up or put together from odds and ends.... but it is their great playing and soul that goes down on the recording, with either 8 or 10 lugs.

User Info Menu

I completely agree with above... however, if someone wants to know the different properties or sound impact of 8 vs 10 lugs, maple vs birch, reso head vs none, well then I see that as a good topic to discuss.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie_Guns View Post
    I completely agree with above... however, if someone wants to know the different properties or sound impact of 8 vs 10 lugs, maple vs birch, reso head vs none, well then I see that as a good topic to discuss.
    For sure, anything drums is a good topic to discuss.