Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Anyone have OCD D ?

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Anyone have OCD D ?

    Osessive Compulsive Drumming Disorder
    I saw this somewhere and thought I'd find out if we all here at Drumchat have it.

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    That's one of the fun disorders! Count me in as a victim, count me out as a patient looking to recover from it. I find myself tappin everywhere, it's wierd.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

    Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

  3. #3
    Larrysperf Guest

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    Drives my Mother in law nuts lol but she wasnt that hard to push over the edge

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    cripes! i eat sleep walk and talk drums, some mornings i wake up sore from drumming, look at my drums, flick em the bird swearing im gonna leave em alone for the day only to find myself playing them 2 hours later. not to mention im ocd about my setup, constantly making small adjustments.
    im sick in the head

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    I got some kind of disorder, just don't know what to call it. Probably nothing more than another " thread topic ". What's it called when I SAY to myself I'm going to play/ practice ....enter the music room....sit down....make a few adjustments...then leave. Over and over again. ( please don't ban me from the forum ! )
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    I've had it for over 35 years and there is no cure. I even quit playing my drums for like a day and I went into convulsions. Once you get it you are stuck with it buddy for life LOL.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    something beyond inspiration evolves that promotes ambition. Then along comes inspiration again and the cycle starts all over. DFairly common in the music world.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    yup! and for real i have in the actual been treated for ocd, luckily i found ways to cope successfully, rhythm being one of em. its a far better thing to mentally cycle around a beat, whats best is you can do it without even thinking.

    and yes ive been driving others crazy for many years! i consider myself a professional counter-top drummer
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

  9. #9
    Larrysperf Guest

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    Cure is beating the hell out stuff

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    We're all affected

    All the lucky dudes free from this affliction were banned
    Angikins

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    I don't.

    I was a every day player for years and years. Once I started traveling with bands, I found that when I got home, I wouldn't touch them for a while. If we had 2 weeks off, I wouldn't play for a week, if we had a month off, I wouldn't touch them for 3 weeks. I found that the time away from playing let me come back to the set refreshed and ready to go, and I almost always came up with something new.

    I'm not a tapper on the table. I think there is a pair of sticks in the house somewhere. Don't even own a pad, never have. Never had a metronome, never will.

    I think you can over do it. When I was young, if I was trying to get something down, I would spend hour after hour working on it. What I found out, was if you walk away for a while, it comes easier.

    The same goes with tuning. You can't sit for hours and tune drums. After some time (different for different people) your ears don't hear it the same way as when you started. Tune a given drum for 10-15 minutes, go take a break for 15-20 minutes, then go back and tune some more. You will get where you want to go faster.

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    It's not a disorder.

    It's a claim by jealous guitarists. Yeah, that's it.
    Signature here

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    What I found out, was if you walk away for a while, it comes easier.
    Rick, I have found the same works for me too. Some days I can't wait to get on the kit, then other days I am so tired from my day that all I can do is sit and play something for a few minutes then shut it down. I do find that if I am struggling with something, it is best to walk away and let my brain work it out for a while before I go back. It's always easier after that.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    Even before playing drums, I was a tapper. Just always been that way. It does drive my wife and kids nuts. We could go out to eat at a place that plays music, and it starts my nervous leg tapping and moves up to my hands and fingers. I do alot more tapping of the fingers and hands. It's almost like doing rudiments.

    Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

    Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I don't.

    I was a every day player for years and years. Once I started traveling with bands, I found that when I got home, I wouldn't touch them for a while. If we had 2 weeks off, I wouldn't play for a week, if we had a month off, I wouldn't touch them for 3 weeks. I found that the time away from playing let me come back to the set refreshed and ready to go, and I almost always came up with something new.

    I'm not a tapper on the table. I think there is a pair of sticks in the house somewhere. Don't even own a pad, never have. Never had a metronome, never will.

    I think you can over do it. When I was young, if I was trying to get something down, I would spend hour after hour working on it. What I found out, was if you walk away for a while, it comes easier.

    The same goes with tuning. You can't sit for hours and tune drums. After some time (different for different people) your ears don't hear it the same way as when you started. Tune a given drum for 10-15 minutes, go take a break for 15-20 minutes, then go back and tune some more. You will get where you want to go faster.
    Rick, I think thats commonly refered to as "burnout". My cousin was a very good mechanic, that last thing he wanted to do after work was.....work on someones car. Thats the mechanics curse, everyone in the nieghborhood knows who's a mechanic. His dad was also a great mechanic and still loved to work on car even though he ran his own repair shop. He just had a true love of motor mechanics.

    Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

    Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    Rick, I think thats commonly refered to as "burnout". My cousin was a very good mechanic, that last thing he wanted to do after work was.....work on someones car. Thats the mechanics curse, everyone in the nieghborhood knows who's a mechanic. His dad was also a great mechanic and still loved to work on car even though he ran his own repair shop. He just had a true love of motor mechanics.

    I wouldn't call it burnout. I love the drums, have for almost 55 years.

    I just knew that you have to have other things in your life. Even when I was on the road, in the daytime, I'd find something to do that had nothing to do with music. When I would go play at night, I was up for it, looking forward to the gig, mainly because I didn't spend all day thinking about it. I left the worry part to the people in the band that obsessed about it.

    Now don't read that wrong. Of course I cared about the band, it was my livelihood. My obsession with it was when we were off the road, and thinking of new material to do. I know I said I wouldn't touch the drums for a while, which is true, but, I would go and watch everything being put together for the next trip. We would discuss the material we were going to do, settle on songs, and the guys and lady, would work out their parts and how they wanted to do it.

    I don't want this coming across as smart-a**, but, for the most part, I worked with pros, not people playing guitar or keyboards for 20 minutes. When you have that, you can take the time to have other things in your life, and, they did too.

    When you spend 4-6 months on the road together, I don't care how well you get along, there will be some friction, you can't avoid it. That was another reason, that after my first band, I never worked with my close friends again.

    You just have to know when you need a break. I'd go home, work on my car(s), see my friends, family, and do the things that I couldn't do on the road.

    The last week before we headed out, everybody was geared up for it, we would go to our studio, work out arrangements, spend 15 hours a day getting everything together and ready to go.

    If you don't have other things in your life, it will make you nuts doing what we did.

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    i stayed off the kit lastnite, few withdrawl symptoms. i do agree with others that when i take a few days off i come back and drum extremely well.

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    That urge to use your hands for rhythmic activities, I don't think it ever really ends. No matter where you run, where you hide, the need to drum consistently follows you around and doesn't let go. You are still a drummer even away from your kit, most everything else that you do supports the habit. Always thinkin like, oh I just got some money so I could really throw it down on the kit for a cymbal or some heads, etc. From the moment you become seriously involved with it, you'll find your life revolves around it. For me at least.
    Last edited by Russ; 07-15-2011 at 05:14 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

    Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    I definitely have it...drives my wife crazy. My three young boys are doing it now to, want to be like dad!

    I probably couldn't count how many times I worked out different parts of a difficult song just tapping on the table.

    Hopefully I will never change

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I definitely have it...drives my wife crazy. My three young boys are doing it now to, want to be like dad!

    I probably couldn't count how many times I worked out different parts of a difficult song just tapping on the table.

    Hopefully I will never change
    Just a quick question...don't mean to thread jack. How do you make the sig at the bottom of your posts? I've been clicking around for a while and cant figure it out.

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Just a quick question...don't mean to thread jack. How do you make the sig at the bottom of your posts? I've been clicking around for a while and cant figure it out.
    Click on User CP on the top left

    On the left click on Edit Signature

    I'm a foot tapper. I tap when I drive too.

    Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

    "The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

    You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

    Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    I enjoy the side effects.

    Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

    "The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

    You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

    Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    Even before playing drums, I was a tapper. Just always been that way. It does drive my wife and kids nuts. We could go out to eat at a place that plays music, and it starts my nervous leg tapping and moves up to my hands and fingers. I do alot more tapping of the fingers and hands. It's almost like doing rudiments.
    I was a tapper before drums too. I remember my 7th grade teacher used to always yell at me because i'd be tapping away while we took notes. Good times.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

    Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

  24. #24

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    Quote Originally Posted by LL70 View Post
    I enjoy the side effects.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

    Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

  25. #25

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Anyone have OCD D ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    That urge to use your hands for rhythmic activiies, I don't think it ever really ends. No matter where you run, where you hide, the need to drum consistently follows you around and doesn't let go. You are still a drummer even away from your kit, most everything else that you do supports the habit. Always thinkin like, oh I just got some money so I could really throw it down on the kit for a cymbal or some heads, etc. From the moment you become seriously involved with it, you'll find your life revolves around it. For me at least.
    Exactly how I feel, Russ

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •