Thread: Forming a band

User Info Menu

Default Forming a band

Ethel The Frog is back with another insightful topic!

I really want to drum professionally. I've spent like a year doing as much flashy basic stuff as possible, and now I'm interested in looking for a band to practice with and get good at. I think the main thing that's put me off from learning is that my kit sounds, well, awful, and I think I'd be embarassed playing in front of others on it (and to get a good sound out of it, I've got to play in a style that I don't think is my own).

Unfortunately, everyone in my school is either in a band already or...well, kinda bad at their instruments (including me :p). And they're all EXTREME METALHEADS! or indie rockers. I don't particularly like either genre, I really just like 90's alt rock and NWOBHM and thrash and hard rock and stuff like that

So where do you think I can get into contact with some other musicians? As much as I love some of the metalheads in this town, I don't want to really play metal
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Well man, do you have a myspace? Thats a good way to look for local musicians. Or you can put up flyers in your local music shop. Or go to shows and just look around at people and meet people and try and get in touch more with the local music scene, you will be surprised at how many people you meet. Also just because people are in a band doesnt make them off limits, ive played in three bands at a time, at the moment i am playing in two. So dont be afraid to ask musicians already in a band! Goodluck