Thread: Removing Drum refinishing - Removing Piano black?

User Info Menu

Default Removing Drum refinishing - Removing Piano black?

These drums I'm redoing have layers and layers of Piano Black finish. Is there a better way to remove this? Stripper is not quite cutting it, and sandpaper keeps getting gummed up, so I'm going through a lot of it. Help!
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Default Re: Removing Drum refinishing - Removing Piano black?

drag behind a fast moving vehicle....but try this with just one drum at a time.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Please tell me the kit needed it!

Piano black _lacquer_ is almost exclusively used on higher end kits. Think Gretsch or Ludwig USA, Tama Starclassics, etc.

Black wrap is an entirely different story.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Well, i'd kind of agree with Scottie as well. Do the drums need the wraps changed out? If they are still new on there and aren't negatively affecting the sound or aesthetic, i'd probably just leave them on. If not, you might try using a hair dryer on medium or high heat but slow speed near the seams and wait for them to seperate.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Why is the sandpaper getting gummed up? Is there glue or something on the shells?
    you can get a little Black & Decker palm sander at WalMart for around $35. Well worth it if your going to be doing a whole set. why don't you post a pic of what your doing. That would help a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie_Guns View Post
    Please tell me the kit needed it!
    Definitely! These are Yamaha Stage Customs. I am refinishing them for my daughter's High Skool band, and they might have been beautiful black at one time, but they have been around high skoolers for a decade or so. . . .

User Info Menu

I've been in the same situtation. If it is a lacquer finish and not a wrap I would try this.

First paint remover could be hard on the glued plys. So I would suggest staying from it.

Second you are going to have to do your sanding in stages starting with a coarser grit and moving to finer grits. The reason your sand paper is gumming up is because it is too fine. As suggested, a small sander is almost a have to have tool because of all of the sanding you are going to be doing. If you take your time, very good results can be had but it takes a lot of work.

Have you considered doing a wrap? John

User Info Menu

I went down to a 50 grit paper with a palm sander. It gets the job done, but it just takes time. I will have to get it smooth again with a 120 grit. I was looking for an easy way, other than a rewrap, and it looks like I just have to put in the elbow grease. There is some beautiful wood grain under all these layers though! It was kind of a shame to hide that under all this Piano Black, so they should look good once they are refinished.

User Info Menu

This is a really good project. I wish you would post pics as you progress. THose drums natural are going to look great.

User Info Menu

If you like the wood then you should just naturaly stain it or a bit of a tint. Then add a few layers of veretane for a nice finish.

User Info Menu

Were they so bad they needed to be taken down to bare wood? A lot of high end, thick, layered lacquer finishes can be rubbed out through a process of wet sanding with varying grits to level and take out the dings, and then smoothed before the polishing and buffing phase. If all else failed you could have done a combination of sanding, filler, and then applying more black lacquer. The beauty of a lacquer finish is that each additional coat melts into the previous coat, becoming part of the entire finish, unlike polys which tend to be layered because they are so hard, and you have to scuff the coat ahead of it just to get it to stick, assuming you don't wait too long.

How many drums have you done so far?

User Info Menu

They're just about all down to the bare wood now. I am going to stain them a maroon woodgrain stain, since maroon & gold are the skool colors. I will probably add some gold pinstriping somewhere.

I don't regret removing the Piano Black, since they are not really collector's items, and because they are going to look even better when I am done with them!

User Info Menu

Okay, they are stained, and the first coat of epoxy is on. Second coat tomorrow, assembly probably Tuesday, and I'll post pics Wednesday. Rhey are looking real good!

Anyway, What kind of glue does Yamaha use to affix the name badges to the surface of the drums?

User Info Menu

PVA?

Joking, no idea - can't wait to see the finished result.

My Kit:
    Mapex Horizon HZB in Transparrent Cherry.
    Consisting of 10" and 16" Toms.
    14" Snare and 22" Bass.
    Toms have Aquarian Perfomance II, snare has ambassador coated.

Cymbal Array:
    14" Pearl CX-200 Hats.
    16" B8 Rock Crash.
    20" Paiste 400 Power Ride.
    10" Meinl MCS Splash.