Thread: 1st double kick pedal

User Info Menu

Default 1st double kick pedal

Picked up my 1st double kick pedal the other day been practicing it for a couple days. trying to build up the left leg don't have much speed yet but was wondering if anyone knew of any songs I could try to learn that has a double pedal thats good for beginners.

User Info Menu

Default Re: 1st double kick pedal

Psychosocial-Slipknot
    Before I Forget-Slipknot
    Wherein Lies Continue-Slipknot
    Digital-Stone Sour
    Afterlife-Avenged Sevenfold
    Dead Seeds-Lamb of God
    Down From the Sky-Trivium

Should do you well. Sorry if you don't like the tunes.

P.S. The first song I learned with double bass was People=S*** by Slipknot. Slipknot is good for learning how to use double bass effectively with speed and how to implement it in fills, but other than that there isn't too much technicality that goes into it. The Rev from A7X used it to taste, really.

If you do any songs here, I'd heavily suggest Dead Seeds or Wherein Lies Continue.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

nice pedal- you cant go wrong with Gibraltar anything really. i learned on a pedal similar to that one also. they are nearly bulletproof. your leg will gain strength as you practice more, but it does take some time, just don't give up!

User Info Menu

Except for the right side not having a base plate(which isn't necessarily a deal ender), they look awesome. Welcome to the world of using all four limbs, I recommend trying out some exercises to better acquaint and start getting those feet built up. Try some songs like Jord suggested half the time, and spend the other half on exercises, rudiments and timing to develop chops quickly.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Except for the right side not having a base plate(which isn't necessarily a deal ender), they look awesome. Welcome to the world of using all four limbs, I recommend trying out some exercises to better acquaint and start getting those feet built up. Try some songs like Jord suggested half the time, and spend the other half on exercises, rudiments and timing to develop chops quickly.
    Definitely agree....that and get a good hi-hat drop clutch

User Info Menu

T hanksfor the input, but where are these excersises I can do. Video or book?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost86 View Post
    T hanksfor the input, but where are these excersises I can do. Video or book?
    Do these with your feet and incrementally faster speeds.

User Info Menu

Bud, I'm not trying to be cute or anything but you should try drumming to Pete "Commando" Sandoval of Morbid Angel.

While it might sound terribly complicated, Pete's double-bass is mostly constant and easy to follow. Beginner drummers can learn much from Pete's demanding yet structured style that is incredibly professional and may I add that he is one of the founder fathers of the Blast Beat.
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

another way to keep on practicing is when you are driving your car try using left foot for tapping the beat of any song thats playing...thats what I have been doing. give it a try. oh...congrats on the new pedals
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Do these with your feet and incrementally faster speeds.

This is excellent! Also, try the 40 rudiments but using just your feet. Put some time aside for them, cause it takes awhile to give each rudiment the time it takes to develop.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

This is an incredibly helpful thread for me to. I recently bought DW 2002's and have been struggling with my left foot. Basically just practice the rudiments and strokes that you practice with your hands on your feet. And Slipknot and avenged sevenfold are great bands to practice double pedal work.

User Info Menu

This is just my opinion and I'm sure there will be plenty of opposite views, but, I don't think that there is really too much value in trying to play along with songs until you get your fundamentals and rudiments down. To me, it would just me more frustrating and could just possibly foster bad habits and poor muscle memory.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    This is just my opinion and I'm sure there will be plenty of opposite views, but, I don't think that there is really too much value in trying to play along with songs until you get your fundamentals and rudiments down. To me, it would just me more frustrating and could just possibly foster bad habits and poor muscle memory.
    Not necessarily, up until a few days ago I really didn't spend too much time technically practicing double bass, and just played songs involving it to the best of my ability. Over a few weeks I've gained enough speed/control to be able to play some simple double bass beats, but nowhere as long as I'd like to be able to, that's why I started serious training.

Also, I tend to gain more endurance playing songs that are a bit too hard for me to play for a while and pushing myself to play them on a daily basis, then the simple "Play it at a relaxed speed everyday and slowly move it up" style, though I do a good bit of both.

User Info Menu

another way to keep on practicing is when you are driving your car try using left foot for tapping the beat of any song thats playing...thats what I have been doing. give it a try. oh...congrats on the new pedals
    This! Ive been doing this recently and my left foot is so much faster than it used to be.

Also when playing a song that uses single bass play those bass drum parts with your left foot.

Enjoy your new pedal!

User Info Menu

greyghost86, congrats on your new pedals! This is a great thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    I do this. I tap the whole song out different drum parts with both feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This! Ive been doing this recently and my left foot is so much faster than it used to be.

Also when playing a song that uses single bass play those bass drum parts with your left foot.

Enjoy your new pedal!
    Thanks for this.

@inthpktplayer, thanks for posting that Single Beat Combinations sheet.

I'm still learning but I found that the more you play the double pedals the easier it gets. Enjoy your new pedals!
    Last edited by LL70; 07-16-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

Hahaha so true! I haven't drummed on my kit in ages yet I've become stronger, more agile and faster since after ending my lessons (pregnancy costs...). Yes, I do the practicing while I drive and also when seated at computers. My double bassing is especially better (FTW) and when I'm at work, I practice to music on my iPod in the morning, to My Dying Bride, Bal-Sagoth, Dio, Rainbow, Iron Maiden, to name a few.
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

They sure are pretty!!!!! Congratulations on your wonderful acquisition - enjoy them!!!!!!!!!!

Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Better than the one I started with.

Honestly, I think the song I learned first on double bass was One by Metallica. For a while, everything else I played was adding bits of double bass into songs that didn't have it. That's probably why I don't play a lot of straight double bass. If I were to be learning now, I'd go with Lamb of God style stuff.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

You may want to develop your left foot for a while before trying to master some of the suggested songs. If you've not used your left foot on a kick drum befor you may find trying to jump right into a rapid fire song a bit frustrating.

One thing that helped me a great deal when I first started playing double kick was, I took the beater out of my right pedal and continued to play the single kick stuff I already knew using my left foot. A quick way to build speed and strength. Do this for a couple hours each day if you can, then put your right beater back in and do the exercises posted above for another couple hours. In a year or so you should be playing just about any double kick pattern you want to.

I suggest listening to Stain Kristoffersen from Pagan's Mind (best in the world in my opinion), and Van Williams from Nevermore - two of the very best double kick players in the business.They are not all about speed and blast beats, they are also very creative with their use of two kicks.

Have fun and feel those leg muscles cramp and burn. Oh and get a metronome if you don't already have one.