Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tuning to the Shell Timbre (DWs John Good)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning to the Shell Timbre (DWs John Good)

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I suspect that all 12" toms made by the same craftsmen, using the same high quality materials to the same specification, combined with strict quality control will produce a large number of almost identical sounding 12" toms. I doubt that DW have any difficulty finding other drums to match up with the 12inchers they produce - I suspect that product that is rejected is for quality control issues (i.e. someone screwed up rather than they have difficulty sonically matching it).

Drums made from the same materials, with the same dimensions, bearing edges, number of plies and shell thickness will not be appreciably different from each other. Manufacturers have known for ages which diameters and depths of shell complement each other and this has far more bearing on the results than this 'timbre matching' malarkey (IMO). I think this is just PR - anything that gets people to consider if this is relevant also makes them consider DW. As a PR exercise it works - but I'm not convinced it makes any appreciable difference.

Of course inability to tune makes everything else redundant
    This brings up a factor that I'm still trying to understand completely. I know the depth has an effect on stick response, projection and even on the tone to an extent. I'm curious as to how & why manufacturers end up with the shell depths they do. I'm convinced there MUST be some kind of testing done, based on the wide array of shell depths. When you look at the depths on various new kits, you'll find variance (sometimes only 1/2") between 2 different intermediate lines.....same manufacturer, same basic shell construction. It makes no sense from a mfg. cost standpoint, so there must be a justifiable reason.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Anybody know how to tune a '67 Fairlane with a 390.

As for other things. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

If you can't do certain things on a regular basis year in and year out, a few big hits here and there, when you are 60, don't add up to a hill of beans.

User Info Menu

use to have a 67 cougar 390, 4 speed headers tuned the daylights out of it
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    use to have a 67 cougar 390, 4 speed headers tuned the daylights out of it

Back in the early '70's, I went through 2 '66 Fairlanes. 1 was a GT, the other a GTA, and 2 '67 Fairlanes, 1 was a convertible, both were GT's.

All were worked to some degree. Used to beat Road Runners on a regular basis.

If you put a hot coil and good wires ( at least 8mm, preferably 8.8) back in those days, you could drop the gap from .35 to .28-.30, and pick up about 15 extra ft lbs of torque. That was also when you could get Sunoco 260 (Super) which was 96 octane (actually 97.5). Anything less and you would have to back off on your timing.

I miss those days and if I could find a decent '66 or'67 Fairlane GT, I would probably buy it.

User Info Menu

Yes they were the good old days, use to run Friday nights down front st. In Philly. Then when they were building I95 from chester to the airport Saturday was race night.
    Premier XPK Drums
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Yes they were the good old days, use to run Friday nights down front st. In Philly. Then when they were building I95 from chester to the airport Saturday was race night.

Englishtown, Wed nite, $5 a pass.

1 pass to feel out the track, another 1 to get a slip.

Sometimes 2-3 depending on how busy they were.

User Info Menu

Yeah Atco use to have run what you have Thursday nights. Cecil County in Maryland had a $5 night also.
    Premier XPK Drums
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Yeah Atco use to have run what you have Thursday nights. Cecil County in Maryland had a $5 night also.

I raced my AMX at Atco a couple of times but could never match my ET's from Englishtown. Never could get a good bite at the light, and I'd hit the traps a full second slower than Englishtown.

Had to be around '75-'76.

User Info Menu

Yeah Atco back in the day was the closest track, not the greatest or the smoothest but fun times. Now Cecil County was as flat as a pool table.
    Premier XPK Drums
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

I actually have a '67 Fairlane GT convertable. Problem is, it's a complete basket case...well beyond the point of restoration now. My brother also had a '67 GT convertable as well, but he sold his a few years back. I have a garage full of old FE stuff; 390s, 352s, 410s, 428s, etc.. Blocks, cranks, heads, intakes, Toploader 4 speeds, you name it. I also have a 62 Galaxie 2dr sedan. I built a 428 for it years ago but never finished it. It has the early tall port heads, custom ground hydraulic cam, an original Ford 406 tri-power intake setup and a set of cast iron 406 headers. I plan on using the Toploader 4sp set-up from the Fairlane. Somehow....between a wife, kids, job and new Mustangs, I got sidetracked. The poor Galaxie has sat in my storage building for 25+ years, patiently waiting for the day I return with more money and time. Anyhow, the key to really making an FE block run is the exhaust. The exhaust port design, like most early Fords, is poor at best. Add to it the crappy log style factory manifolds, and it completely kills power. A simple set of cheap long tube headers, even on a stock motor, will make a HUGE difference. With mild head porting, good valves and a mild split profile cam, a 390 will hang in there with the best of them.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

The link was lost in the OP. Here it is

https://youtu.be/xeF1Snk0zOQ
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

I took the head off 1 of my toms and really looked at it. I did indeed find a note under 1 of the re rings. It said "don't be a idiot, change the head".