Thread: drum head help

User Info Menu

Default drum head help

ok..i really dont like the heads i have on my kit right now (remo emporor coateds) because theyre too open..and not dampened enough for rock and stuff..i bought them when i was inexperienced..and kind of didn't know much about what i was doing. Is there any way i can make my heads wear out faster than normal..without intentionally stabbing them with a knife or something like that..anything is appreciated.

User Info Menu

I should ask the last guy that owned my set! (looked like they were played with a ball peen hammer) I'm just glad the shells were in great shape. hehehe
    When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.

User Info Menu

You want them to wear out faster? If you mean that by wearing them out the sound will become the way you want then I think you should just get a new set of heads, if I interpreted your question right.
    If a dampened, rock sound is what you want to acquire then I suggest you get any one of the Evans G1, G2, EC, or EC2 products. I own the EC2 coated heads and they were exactly the tone I wanted at the time. I think now though that since my horizons have opened up a little more I would like the more resonant tone in my drums rather than muffled.
    Hey if all else fails you could buy some moon gel or o rings, idk. Hope it helps though.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

i want them to wear out faster so i can go buy a new set of heads..lol..i really wanna get the Aquarian Performance II heads.

User Info Menu

do you judge your sound by what you are hearing behind the kit or the overall sound from in front of a band? imo, coated emporors are great heads. i prefer a coated 1 ply and use g1s myself. i think most of those thick hydraulic, self muffling..ect heads just kill projection and resonance. (i know thats what thir supposed to do). i play quite alot of shows and have been told by pretty much every sound guy in the area that my drums sound way better than all these other bar band drummers in town. the other drummers all say so too. however, when i let these guys sit in and play on them they freak out and say they are way too ringy and loud from behind the kit, and they have a hard time getting comfortable on them. i will add that all of these guys use performance II, ec2s, hydraulics for bottom heads, pinstripes (sometimes with half a roll of duct tape on em)...ect. they just cant deal with the resonance, and they still cant figure out why mine sound better live in the front of the house. because in a loud rock setting, that ring equals tone.

User Info Menu

you know what..i think your right..

User Info Menu

I agree to an extent. What an audience hears is totally dependant on the venue and layout of the area you're playing in. If its a small tight room with a low ceiling it will be totally different than outdoors or a large open room. But the drums will rarely sound the same out front as they do from behind the kit when you are playing. And when a band is singing and playing along a lot of the "ringy" sound you hear behind the kit is actually a PLUS for the audience because a lot of the frequencies and sounds they hear from your drums get washed out by amps. But I know where you're coming from. Its less fun to play when it doesnt sound right from behind the drums. So my suggestion is DEFINITELY use remOs or evans rings on the tops and go from there. If that doesnt get you where you want to be try a different head. But wearing off the coating will not help, it will actually make the head sound dead. Not muffled but totally choked and it wont project at all. Hope that helps.