Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old/Moldy cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default Old/Moldy cymbals?

Last week my freind told me that moldy cymbals sound better (He was refering to hi-hats) and whenever i play used hi-hats that I really like they are often greenish. Can anyone explain to me if my friend is right, and why nice sounding cymbals are green?

User Info Menu

In most cases dirt and/or grime will add warmth to a cymbal, though it's not always so. By the way, the green is a result of tarnishing. It's not mold.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lhebs0
    Last week my freind told me that moldy cymbals sound better (He was refering to hi-hats) and whenever i play used hi-hats that I really like they are often greenish. Can anyone explain to me if my friend is right, and why nice sounding cymbals are green?
    Your friend needs to stop leaving leftover sandwiches laying on top of his hi-hat stand.

On second thought, I might try a set of AAX Wonder breads....
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

....lol....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    Your friend needs to stop leaving leftover sandwiches laying on top of his hi-hat stand.

On second thought, I might try a set of AAX Wonder breads....

those are nice, but id go for the AAX metal wonder breads, theyre only a little more expensive, and its hand-baked
    Top 10 Reasons to Date a Drummer:
    1. Our coordination is incredible.
    2. We can keep any tempo you want.
    3. No matter what speed we go, we can make it good.
    4. No matter how tired we are, we always finish the job.
    5. We can follow the lead, or take it.
    6. We love to bang.
    7. No objections to performing in front of an audience.
    8. We know how to handle our sticks.
    9. We know the best spots to hit.
    10. By the time we’re done, you’ll be cheering for more.

User Info Menu

Thanks for staying on topic

User Info Menu

Default Old/Moldy Cymbals

Ya know how a shiny new penny starts turning greenish-brown after it's been in circulation a while? Or if you have copper-bottom pots and pans and they look scuzzy after a while?

It's called oxidation, and it looks like mold...but there's no "wonder" about how to clean it...it's called cymbal cleaner. On another thread here, someone is claiming that tarnished cymbals have a different sound ("more character")...take your pick, dude...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Old/Moldy cymbals?

Zildjian once had cymbals that they put in the ground for a year or more (or maybe it was some people that did that), and I they had one called the earth ride. Since bronze had copper in it (like bongobro said), it will tarnish, and thats why it's green. Take the Statue of Liberty for example :P
    Some claim the dirt makes it sound better, warmer, and drier.
    Oh, and sorry for the "late" response! :P
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

I love dirty cymbals. That is all.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

DrumRookie - How deep was this green thread buried when you found it?
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff5550 View Post
    DrumRookie - How deep was this green thread buried when you found it?
    Hahaha, on the very first page of the DC threads in the cymbals section! Waaay back 5 years ago. I love this thread revival stuff
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lhebs0 View Post
    Too much coffee?

User Info Menu

I want to relate an experience I had that I thought really clarified to me the difference in sound between clean and "aged" cymbals. At the time my whole setup was brilliant finish AAX, and getting ready to do a big church praise team concert where I was the drummer, I cleaned all of my cymbals - the first time I had cleaned them in a while.

What I found was that my cymbals got really bright - the hats almost obnoxiously so. That was the last time I cleaned anything but the worst dirt off of my cymbals. I think that a build up of dust, tarnish and even a bit of verdigris (when oxidized copper and bronze turns green) actually prevents some of the cymbal's natural vibation. Some would think this is "bad" but to me it lends the sound an extra bit of warmth. My AAX Stage hats are loud anyway, but when they are freshly clean they are almost obnoxious.

It depends on your preference though - some people really like a harder, brighter/brilliant, glassy sound. I prefer a warmer, organic, almost trashy tone from my cymbals - only part of that is the dirt and grime though. Part of it has to come from the cymbal itself.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I have some blood on my cymbals from cracking knuckles on the hats. :D
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lhebs0 View Post
    I like turtles!

Just kidding. I hate them. But I know what you mean. Sabian makes an earth ride that uses aging and earth to tarnish the cymbal. It's cool.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I don't use cymbal cleaner. for 2 reasons. 1: I dont care if they are shiny, I like them to look like I use them. 2: Everything I read says cymbals get brighter when you clean them, I dont like super bright cymbals lol.

EDIT: By bright I am referring to the sound. Not the brightness of the cymbal literally.
    Last edited by Zeta; 09-20-2011 at 09:07 PM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

i buy a cymbal in a store because i like the sound of that cymbal better than all the other ones that i try , when i buy this cymbal it is spotlessly clean , so thats how i think it sounds its best . so i keep mine clean and shiney all the time ...
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

mine smell good
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    Zildjian once had cymbals that they put in the ground for a year or more (or maybe it was some people that did that), and I they had one called the earth ride. Since bronze had copper in it (like bongobro said), it will tarnish, and thats why it's green. Take the Statue of Liberty for example :P
    Some claim the dirt makes it sound better, warmer, and drier.
    Oh, and sorry for the "late" response! :P
    Sabian not Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Sabian not Zildjian.
    Ah, ok. Thanks
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Old/Moldy cymbals?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    Ah, ok. Thanks
    You are right DrumRookie it is a Zildjian. NR you are wrong so get the facts right. "I hate that when someone missinforms". Does that phrase sound familliar NR.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    You are right DrumRookie it is a Zildjian. NR you are wrong so get the facts right. "I hate that when someone missinforms". Does that phrase sound familliar NR.
    wow,,,, pretty harsh dude.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    I like turtles!

Just kidding. I hate them.
    for a moment there I thought you hated me .. than I realized that toads are amphibious and turtles are actually reptiles. imagine my relief!

On topic. .. i have not noticed much .. well of anything I play electric but I would live to find some good green E-cymbals.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    wow,,,, pretty harsh dude.
    I was expecting "Fight, fight, fight, fight!" from somebody lol

Ok guy's no need to be mean. NR was apparently just misinformed. PMCXN, you shouldn't be so harsh. There, no hard hard feelings now. ok?

I also can't blame him, i just watched the Sabian 1 of 100 cymbals unearthing. Apparently Sabian does it too.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Yeah it does
    http://www.sabian.com/en/products/1of100_index.cfm

Zildjian Earth cymbals were never buried, they are just unlathed to guve them an unfinished look and an "earthy" tone.

You can apologise now.
    Last edited by Northern Redneck; 09-22-2011 at 03:39 PM.