Thread: Snare Help

User Info Menu

Default Snare Help

So I'm having a little issue with tuning my new snare. Its a Ludwig maple 14x3 1/2. I have an Aquarian hi velocity batter and an aquarian hi performance reso. It rings like crazy. I like my batter head tight and to get good pop but it rings like crazy. Any tuning ideas to get rid of the over tones.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Help

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    So I'm having a little issue with tuning my new snare. Its a Ludwig maple 14x3 1/2. I have an Aquarian hi velocity batter and an aquarian hi performance reso. It rings like crazy. I like my batter head tight and to get good pop but it rings like crazy. Any tuning ideas to get rid of the over tones.
    Tune the batter down a bit, and the reso up until you get the sound you want.

You could also invest in moongels, which is what i would suggest if you're not fond of the sound you get by tuning it like i suggested.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    Tune the batter down a bit, and the reso up until you get the sound you want.

You could also invest in moongels, which is what i would suggest if you're not fond of the sound you get by tuning it like i suggested.
    +1 on moongels.
    I would also try tuning first like jordison said, but moongels are about 8 bucks for 4 at Guitar Center (I've gotten them for 4 or 5 bucks on a good day ).
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

TD, how is the reso tuned relative to the batter now, and are you positive both the reso and batter are in tune with themselves?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool thanks guys. Im gonna play with the tuning a little later when I get a chance.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Something smells wrong here, a piccolo should never ring, that drum isn't nearly deep enough to have that problem. You may want to check out the strainer as well as re-tune the top and bottom heads until they are closer. Thin heads like snare side need to be brought up a bit higher than a heavier gauge. You shouldn't be encountering too much ring if the heads are at a similar pitch, unless one of the heads is in bad condition and needs replacing. It's a good head combination, once you do some adjustments I think you'll be quite happy.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

In my opinion, if you want the pop and no ring without resorting to damping for your snare, try the Evans HD Dry batter head.

Here's a discription:

"This durable two-ply head (7.5mil external, 5mil internal) with 2mil overtone control ring barks live, yet is ideal for the studio. Additional dry vents eliminate stray harmonics"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv62P9ID9Ks&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv62P9ID9Ks&feature=related[/ame]

User Info Menu

I'm not a fan of using any two-ply head as a batter on a snare. I'll take a single ply coated head any day - that along with a properly positioned piece of moon gel gives me the sound and action I want from a snare drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    In my opinion, if you want the pop and no ring without resorting to damping for your snare, try the Evans HD Dry batter head.

Here's a discription:

"This durable two-ply head (7.5mil external, 5mil internal) with 2mil overtone control ring barks live, yet is ideal for the studio. Additional dry vents eliminate stray harmonics"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv62P...eature=related
    I use the ST dry and love it.

User Info Menu

That Evans Dry Batter head is good. I use one on my Catalina Jazz snare.
    try tuneing your reso head up. I have found I didn't have mine tight enough when it was ringing. Don't go overboard though. Just tweak it a little at a time. Or start all over. Loosen the batter. Tighten up the reso really good then raise your batter a little at a time and see what happens.
    Last edited by VIbes; 07-19-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Taste is personal, of course, but I switched to Genera Dry a few tears ago, and found the 'perfect' snare sound and feel very much easier to obtain than with my years with Ambassador. Try a Genera and see if it works for you..?
    (and for my part I would expect a piccolo to 'ring' more than a 7" deep...)
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Do yourself a favour, walk about 10-15 feet in front of your kit and have somebody who knows how to hit a drum play your snare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Do yourself a favour, walk about 10-15 feet in front of your kit and have somebody who knows how to hit a drum play your snare.
    Sometimes I stand in front of the drums and hit them that way just to get an idea of what they sound like from the front. Sometimes I ask my son to play so I can hear what they sound like.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Very good advice. Extra "ring" on your snare is not really a problem unless you are in the studio. Otherwise, you will have a dead sounding drum to anyone not standing behind your kit. I also notice this with toms. Behind the kit, they sound low and thunderous, but out front they sound like wet cardboard being hit with a wooden spoon.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

I have the same batter as you with a Hazy res. The ring was a bit of a problem for me early on when using it. You're gonna need to break the head in some but in the meantime, get some moongels. The one thing I really like about the Hi-V batter head is that it takes very well to Moongel. I'll use anywhere from 0-3 moongels on my snare and each time I add one the sound changes a bit. It allows me to use one snare for many different music genres.
    PDP 5 piece - 12/13/16/14/22
    16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride
    19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpenguin45 View Post
    Very good advice. Extra "ring" on your snare is not really a problem unless you are in the studio. Otherwise, you will have a dead sounding drum to anyone not standing behind your kit. I also notice this with toms. Behind the kit, they sound low and thunderous, but out front they sound like wet cardboard being hit with a wooden spoon.
    Definitely!