Thread: 12 yr old novice and Yamaha DD55

User Info Menu

Question 12 yr old novice and Yamaha DD55

Hello. I gave my 12 year old the Yamaha DD55 from ebay as she assures me she wants to learn the drums. I know nothing about drums or technology but I want to give her a chance.

1)The kit is great a but I am having great difficulty dowloading the manual. Got one but it refuses to print. (Printer could be knackered I suppose)
    Can I buy a hard copy/photocopy from someone?

2) Can you recomend a DVD or laptop video that would help a 12 year complete novice to teach herself on the above mention kit? (with an ignorant Mum)

Thanks for reading this and any useful help you can give.

User Info Menu

Default Re: 12 yr old novice and Yamaha DD55

There are great drum tutorials all over youtube that you can find easily. As far as DVD's i'm not sure,but I know syncopation and funky primer are great books for starting out. They are what I use, but granted I had a teacher who taught me the basics about playing e.g.holding the sticks, posture, etc.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat wegiss. It's good that you checked out the manual, I wouldn't print or download it if you're having trouble though. If your browser permits, why not set the page as available offline, then you can find it anytime for reference without any trouble.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat!

Well, I would recommend (as coddude321 said) the Funky Primer for the rock Drummer by Charles Dowd, that would definitely be a good start for beats. I actually am using that one, along with a private tutor to teach it.

And a trip to the local music store would be very worthwhile too, as I assume they have a good selection of DVD's. Also, make sure to ask (or look online) for a sheet of the standard rudiments, those are very important (I printed some out for free from PASIC's website).

Hope I helped!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Thanks all for your prompt replies. All good suggestions, I will look for the books, and check on Youtube which probably will enthuse her better than books, (I will read the book and do things the old fashioned way).

So again thanks.