Thread: Great instructional video on room treatment

User Info Menu

Default Great instructional video on room treatment

Hello Mods feel free to move to the video forum, but....
    This is a great instructional video on room treatment, bass build up and control of low frequencies. Very important for us guys with smaller rooms.
    One of the key concepts is to treat the room on the front end so you only have to eq very minimally...

http://youtu.be/AUTe7F0Qlp0
    Last edited by nucjd; 07-20-2011 at 08:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Great instructional video on room treatment

Nice post

User Info Menu

Great wealth of information nucjd. Thanks for sharing the link. Very informative about soundwaves. Example: I didn't know 100hz take 11 feet to develop and there's soundproof material developed to absorb specific soundwave frequencies within those parameters.

User Info Menu

Yea, those ideas are crucial for us drummers, particularly the bass frequency which causes all types of low end rumble and mud.

User Info Menu

Great video, thanks. I actually never gave much thought to some elements to recording like the room, just as long as it's treated well enough in some way it's passable. I tend to change the room sound in the final master to compensate for flaws, even though the location is more or less under control. I found the info here real helpful though, thanks again.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Glad you liked it Russ. One thing that is very important is if it can be fixed frequency wise on the front end before it hits the mic's then on the back end the end product is exponentially better as trying to cut modes and boost frequency phasing will not get as a good a result. ALso, if there are modes and phasing in the room you are mixing in then the mix WILL NOT transport. Meaning... Lets say you spent all afternoon mixing a track with plug ins and it sounds great in your room, then you bump it down to CD and play it back in your car and it sounds totally different. What happened? The frequencies in your mixing room that are always there due to size and shape of the room required you to mix it to fit with those frequency flaws, but when you went into another space the modes and phasing are not the same or not present therefore the mix does not sound correct as it will have been boosted too high and cut too deep in different frequency ranges that are not a problem for say the car stereo. Therefore you need your mixing room to be as "flat" as possible. A few ways to do this... 1. treat the crap out of the room with acoustical treatment, or 2. make the room very large, or 3. use software like ARC which adjusts for the modes in a particular room. Or a combination thereof.