Thread: bass drum sound

User Info Menu

Default bass drum sound

Can I make my bass drum sound really good with a good head? or does the sound have to do between a mix of good heads and bass shell itself?

User Info Menu

The shell will always make a difference. But, upgrading to nicer heads and learning how to tune will always be an improvement over the opposite. So if you have a not so good kit but put better heads and tune them nice, you will improve the sound over untuned stock heads.

User Info Menu

alrighty thanks. and the stock heads are the original heads right?

User Info Menu

Yeah stock means it came with the drums. Ususally, and especially with cheaper sets, stock heads are some random off brand or a not well made house brand.

User Info Menu

mine are just that! hey do you think because of my cheap kit, and crappy skins I will never be able to find a good tone in them? its just a thought. There about a year old and there still the stock heads, and I drum quite a bit.

User Info Menu

There's alot of variables that go into getting a great drum sound. And anytime you improve just 1, you will improve your sound. with good tuning you can make what you have better. With new heads the sound improves that much more. So, you can improve what you have but, you may not get the sound you want. I suggest you learn to tune what you have, if you're still not happy, change the heads.

User Info Menu

May not be perfect, but you can still play with the tuning. Think of what you might learn as you work with older heads, and if you are really struggling with the sound "as is," then you just might find a sound that makes your kit sound so much better, that you just can't wait to get at it! Have no fear, the worst possible scerio is that the sound gets so screwed up that you loosen all the lugs (in the prescribed pattern, of course), and start over from scratch. That's not so bad, and that's the worst that could happen. The best is that it might not take more than a little tweaking to get that really cool sound!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

get a superkick II ull see the difference

User Info Menu

that or an EMAD
    or a Remo powerstroke 3

and if you want a nice deep biting sound to your bass drum. i know how to tune it like that.
    Ostinato is the way to go!