Thread: Acoustic/Electric Drum Swap Advice Please

User Info Menu

Default Acoustic/Electric Drum Swap Advice Please

hello, iv been thinking of selling my acoustic drum kit and buying electric... yesterday iv have been offered a swap on my drum kit, my drum kit is 5 piece pearl export series(fusion size) have big dog boom stand, big dog cymbal stand, big dog hi-hat stand and big dog pedal, my cymbals are a set of 4 zildjian titanium rock. now, i dont know much at all about electric drums/models etc, but been offered a swap for a roloand td10 he says its the same a td12 , these numbers mean nothing to me ! so thats why iv asked here pleeease help, i dont want to be ripped off, or pay too much money towards the roland in part exchange if i had to
    I ONLY WANTED TO HELP YOU ROLAND

User Info Menu

The only difference between a roland td-10 and a td-12 is the "brain." The v-drums themselves should be the same. The nice mesh drums. The td10 has less drum sounds in it than the td12 but it is still a very nice module. wether or not it's a good trade is up to you. I would research how much your kit sells for vs how much a td 10 sells for. Maybe ebay would be easist.

User Info Menu

i dont know about the td10 but if it is truly like the td12 then it is a killer swap for a 5 pc.export + hardware and 4 mid-priced cymbals. you will want to research it a little to make sure you are getting EXACTLY what you think you are. the td12 is almost 4k american, you could buy a 5pc pearl masters with top line hardware and cymbals for about that much. so i would be a little cautious and find out more about it.
    if you can get some pics of them it would be easier to know for sure. i bet there are more e-kit qualified members that will chime in.

User Info Menu

thanks for your inputs here, he's going to send me some pics, iv already sent him pics of mine (drumkit that is heh) we live in the same county/area so checking it out isnt a problem , stay tuned and il put the pics up here when i get them :O)

User Info Menu

If the TD-10 is in good shape, has the mesh heads instead of gum rubber ones, and does'nt have any electrical problems - do it. I sold my TD-8 for $1000 and people were banging down my door to get it for that price. The TD-10 usually sells for $1200-$1500 used in perfect working order.

Also, The Roland kits are good for gigging as they take up only half the space of an acoustic kit. But, if you plan on using it for that, you are going to have the added expense of buying a dedicated PA amp and speakers.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i have some pictures, your opinions are very very valuble, more than you know!does anybody know where can i upload them please, my usual uploader is down

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

heeeeeey it worked

User Info Menu

Maybe pay the extra if its a store and get a TD 12. I havent heard anyone mention a better electric kit yet.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Ok lita, that does not look like a Roland kit. That is definetly a TD-10 module (which is not the same as the TD-12 otherwise they never would have made a TD-12, right!), but the pads look like they are either Pintech or Yamaha. The rack is a Roland Club-V rack, so that pic is kind of throwing me for a loop as Roland did not sell TD-10s with that rack setup. I'm not sure what the snare is, but overall, it's a pretty good looking kit. It looks like somebody went into the "build a kit" mode instead of the "buy a kit" mode.

Anyways, if you have been offered a straight trade, do it. The TD-10 module alone sells for almost as much as a 5 piece export kit by itself. You can buy an expansion card for the module that will almost bring it up to the TD-12, but that really isn't necessary. I think it is a pretty even trade with your hardware and cymbals. Just make sure it is in good working order before you do it.

Also, on a side note, if you plan on gigging with that, you will most likely need to replace the T-clamps on the rack as they are plastic and can't take much abuse (set-up, tear-down, constantly being banged around from being moved). I broke almost all of the original clamps on mine, but I replaced them all with T-hatch clamps that are sold with the Roland TD-20 kit. They are pretty cheap (about $12-$18 each) and are a whole lot stronger. I never broke a single one.

Good luck on your decision! Keep us posted on what you decide to do!
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

DrumBum is right - tat is not the TD10 - that's not even Roland - the cymbals look like the style Yamaha use, but those pads look like something else - that is the TD10 module though, and it looks like the Kick pad is off the TD20 - still, they are mesh heads, and the ride is dual triggered with bell - always good things to see. The kick pad is suitable for any pedal, adnt eh TD10 module is fairly good. I agree with drumbum personally - Pretty much everything he said was right.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

hey thanks for advices, after drumbums comment i did the swap,it just gave me that confidence to go ahead. Last night was the first time i had a reall good bang on the drums, (neighbours and my 2 little'uns i find it hard to get the oppotunity) i really do need lots of practice! but i can now, nobody can hear me only me! that was really why i wanted to swap. i think i need to improve on acouple of the drums(toms) as i have to hit pretty hard and in more or less in the middle. on the whole im very pleased, but need to swot up big time on the module and the electric/triggers etc side of it.

User Info Menu

before i go, the mesh pad are made by pintech, an american company i think, same for a couple of the cplastic cymbals, the strange shape cymbal was the yamaha one, the kick is a v quite a good'un!

User Info Menu

I knew it. The ride cymbal I knew was Yaamaha. And i knew the kick was Roland. I also suspected that drumbum was right about the pads being Pintech, as Yamaha don't use mesh ehads - at leats not that I've seen.

Yes, the kick is VERY good - they splurged on that.

ANyway, glad ot hear your happy with it. The problems your having witht he toms has probably just come from being played allot and so the triggers are probably less sensitive then they should be. You can always replace one at a time. One of the beauties of electronic drums is you don't have to worry as much about the next one matching the old ones or anyhting - buy the same brand and your set. Buy a better brand to upgrade
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Glad to hear your happy with the trade. That Roland KD-7 kick pad is the best they ever made. It blows the KD-8 out of the water. As for the Pintech mesh heads, the triggers are replaceable on those and are fairly inexpensive, but, here comes the best part, you can replace them with Roland triggers! I know a few people who bought the Pintech pads just for that reason as it kept the cost of all the pads down, and when the triggers wore out, they could be upgraded easily.

I would also suggest getting a very nice set of isolation headphones for that set so you can hear all that TD-10 has to offer. I cheap set of "muffs" just don't do it justice. Enjoy!
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads