Thread: DTXplorer question

User Info Menu

Default DTXplorer question

I got a DTXplorer this week, almost new off Craigslist for $250. Works great, like it a lot. The only thing I really don't care for is using the normal pad for the high hat. Is it easy to switch to a cymbal pad? I've googled but can't find Yamaha replacements. Do other brand cymbals work? Are the triggers/pads from other companies compatible with Yamaha.

I'm an e-drum rookie... any help?

Cassidy
    Cassidy
    Drumslinger

User Info Menu

Default Re: DTXplorer question

I've used other types of surfaces with triggers on them that are accepted by my module, not sure how easy it would be to find hat pads for that series but if you can't you could try hat pads from other companies. It has to be compatible with your module, but that won't take long to find out.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

So, anyone know for sure what works with the Yamaha module?
    Cassidy
    Drumslinger

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    Have you looked at the yamaha RHH135...it is yamaha's latest/best version of a hihat cymbal..you use it with a real hihat stand...I know it's compatible with the DTXpress and of course the DTXtreme..as far as other makes are concerned it is hit or miss...honestly I've played the other makes hihat cymbals, the RHH135 is easily as good as anything else out there (and more reasonable than the roland counterpart)..

User Info Menu

If you're looking for a "realistic" hi-hat the RHH135 is pretty much your only option. Be aware though that it is a two-zone cymbal (bow and edge) and the DTXplorer only supports a single-zone hi-hat input. Which means you'll only be able to get one of the zones working.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

If you decide to get the RHH135 hihat, make sure the bottom plate for the hihat stand is included with the purchase. The bottom plate has a soft rubber cushion that allows the opened and closed triggers of the hats to be activated. I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade to the RHH135. It's as close to the real action of real hats since you mount it to a real hihat stand.

Last edited by late8; 07-26-2011 at 06:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Actually, in the manual for the RH135, the base is set with the soft side pointing DOWN

Don't know if there's a real big difference, but for a moment there i thought i "had it wrong" for a couple of years (DOH!!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davezedlee View Post
    Actually, in the manual for the RH135, the base is set with the soft side pointing DOWN

Don't know if there's a real big difference, but for a moment there i thought i "had it wrong" for a couple of years (DOH!!)
    Cool... I'm getting weird latency issues with the closed voices...I'll flip the base and see it the triggers are more responsive! Thanks!

User Info Menu

I'm interested in how people get on with this upgrade for the DTXplorer.

User Info Menu

. Is it easy to switch to a cymbal pad?

Uhhh....plug in one of your cymbals and find out?

Seems like a cymbal would be to floppy.

User Info Menu

Also, does anyone have any experience with the TP100 on the DTXplorer?

Damn, i've only have my dtxplorer since feb and already looking for upgrades for it. lol

User Info Menu

Which module is it?
    27 inch iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 40GB Ram - macOS Big Sur 11.6.1
    Logic Pro X 10.7.0 - UA Apollo X6 - UAD-2 Quad Core Satellite TB3
    MOTU 8Pre USB - Yamaha HS7 - MAudio Axiom 61 2nd Gen

User Info Menu

I tried using the yamaha 135 as the high-hat (and redid the entire left side my of kit), it works only as single zone trigger, you have to go with what has been suggested above.

I would counter that with the HH, if you are going to use a hh-stand, why not just go with the real thing? It will sound better, and let's face it, it you are using some of the electo hh sounds, none are really going to benefit from the Rhh135. Yes, a 1-zone pad for the hh is a bit disappointing, but at least you have a lot less equipment.