Thread: A Few Technique Questions

User Info Menu

Default A Few Technique Questions

Hey, so there are a few techniques I've heard of that I don't completely understand, so I thought I'd ask the smartest drummers on the internet about them.

If possible, I'd like a detailed explanation, and possibly some directions on how to get started practicing them.

The Moeller Technique
    The Gladstone Technique

I've also heard of using fingers in you playing, how exactly is this done? The only use my fingers get is wrapping around the stick, and I feel like I could be holding myself back.

User Info Menu

Default Re: A Few Technique Questions

I would highly suggest buying Jojo Mayer's dvd "Secret Weapons for The Modern Drummer." It goes over all of your questions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigkid View Post
    I would highly suggest buying Jojo Mayer's dvd "Secret Weapons for The Modern Drummer." It goes over all of your questions.
    Alright that'll definitely go on my list of things to get, would there possibly be any way to watch the DVD online? Save a poor drummer some gear money?

User Info Menu

I'm sure there are some free technique lessons on youtube.

User Info Menu

Moeller uses a whipping motion, gladstone uses finger control for the rebound. either requires alot of dedication. ive actually adopted a lil of both without even knowing it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    Moeller uses a whipping motion, gladstone uses finger control for the rebound. either requires alot of dedication. ive actually adopted a lil of both without even knowing it.
    +1 My teacher uses the Gladstone method (named after Billy Gladestone), and it is a lot tougher than it looks. You really have to work the fingers to build the right coordination and the speed. It's a lot harder than she makes it look, so it just takes consistant practice over time to develop it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'll definitely start to work on them. Seems like a way to put myself above the rest.

User Info Menu

There are tons of technique videos online. Moeller is what I learned as a kid, and it's very helpful. It allows you to play faster without tiring as quickly.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle