Thread: Combined 2 TD4K2 Kits continued...With Addictive Drums the Review/samples

User Info Menu

Default Combined 2 TD4K2 Kits continued...With Addictive Drums the Review/samples

Those of you who followed my earlier threads know that I started with one Roland TD4K2 kit and then combined 2 Roland Td4k2 kits. http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ked-21794.html Originally I had just used one bass drum and my Tama SC double pedal. Not one to leave well enough alone, I made a single out of the double and purchased one more SC and now I'm using a double bass drum setup... what a difference! The pics and further comments about double bass, MIDI and much more continued below

I used to have a double bass rig in the 80's and I had truly forgotten how comfortable it is to have the snare drum right in front of you with a leg on each side, balanced, comfortable, no akward twising to the left or weak slave pedal... there truly is an absolute difference when the left pedal is driven by a linkage compared to a dedicated pedal. On to Midi and addictive drums...

I purchased addictive drums and 2 M-audio uno midi to usb adapters. I already had Mix Craft 5 on a spare computer. Once I got everything setup and mapped I used two instances of Addictive drums in one instrument track to configure the following Tama Starslassic kit:
    2- 22x18 Kicks
    Tama Starclassic 14x5.5 Snare
    3 Rack toms Tuned as 10, 12,13
    2 Floor Toms Tuned as 14x14 & 16x16
    Pearl 10x4 Piccolo snare
    14" SabianAAX Studio Hi Hats (Main)
    14" Sabian AAX Studio Hi Hats (Remote) as Xhats closed
    17" Sabian AAX Studio Crash
    18" Sabian HHX Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Signature fast crash
    19" Sabian HHX Studio Crash
    21" Sabian AAX Stage Ride
    PD8 Tuned as a gong drum on the left.

The guys that made AD really did a fantastic job capturing every nuance of the real kit from the lightest tap, to full force, to the adjustable snare buzz if you want it and the above kit sounds so realistic that if someone did not know it was AD there is no way they would know it was an e-kit. Here are a couple of sample mp3's...High quality speakers or headphones recommended! Tama.mp3 is just some hits around the kit and the second is well, louder

http://72.167.11.101/images/stories/images/pic/tama.mp3

http://72.167.11.101/images/stories/...pic/admidi.mp3

I was doing some testing with recording the Tama kit against some drumless tracks I have and man it sounds awsome too! I'm hooked on this Roland kit! I added a Simmons amp and have everything routed into a small berringer mixer. Rather than use the Headphone out on one feeding into the line in on the other for when I want to just use the Roland sounds for practicing without turning on the computer both modules use a channel on the mixer-This gives me a consistent volume between both modules without having to balance one into the sound of the other. I turn on the brains, set the volumes to the same position, set the level on both mixer channels to the same positions no fuss, no mismatch in the volume levels. The computer line out goes into another channel. The main out goes to the amp and my headphones into the HP jack on the Mixer. This gives me all the control of the sound for practicing with the roland built in kits, using the computer and MIDI or monitoring when recording. I've probably clocked more time on my Rolands since July 1 than I spent on my Acoustics in the last year. I have not practiced so consistently since I was in my band in the 80's...My neighbors and dog couldn't be happier too!!
    Last edited by Timmkatt; 07-23-2011 at 06:30 PM.