Thread: Single or dbl ply heads????

User Info Menu

Default Single or dbl ply heads????

Well we all know the drums I have, well I am struggling with my toms, I am currently using Evans G2 double ply heads, and I am just not getting the sustain or resonance that I am after, the drums just sound dead, and I know the drums will produce what I am after, so just for experimenting I put on the stock heads that came with them they are single ply, and I bout crapped myself, they sounded so good I just could not believe the difference, my toms are so open and resonant, with a beautiful amount of sustain and tone, so my question is.

What is a good strong single ply head? Or is it just the Evans heads that are bad? Can I still get a good dbl ply that will produce this kind of response I am after? The reason I ask is because I have always used Evans G2's.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

i can't help you much kevin. but just a comment. thats wierd, because I have heard some good things about the g2 double ply.. and i think someone said they have really good resonation, but I don't know that for sure, it might be your tuning. not sure though. sorry thats all i got

User Info Menu

Hey, DDB, I've got single ply on my Catalinas - just the stock heads. They're Remo UT's. I was thinking about going to a double ply head, because I wanted that "rock sound." Then I started tuning the heads that came from the kit, and I got such a cool sound that I think I'm going to stay with the single ply heads for a while. Really great resonance and sustain. I kind of think that if Remo makes a single ply stock head that is that good, I'm going to try another Remo single ply. Still thinking about the bass, though.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i have g1s on for the last year and love them. the coating is very durable too.