Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Make It Yourself... MIY

User Info Menu

Default Re: Make It Yourself... MIY

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    I made a practice pad kick this weekend. 1/2 hours work and about 5 hours of practice time!

I went to my cabin and didn't want to drag my kit so I just brought the snare and my spare pedals.

This is awesome! Thanks for posting. Off to the workshop....
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

X-hat holder from old Ludwig hihat stand:

I love the custom machined stainless steel ball tilters inspired from Rogers Swivomatic hard wares used on the drum rack ! VERY WISE !

User Info Menu

This is cheating a bit, I didn't make this drum stand, my husband did. I wanted something to make it easier to play both of my djembe's at the same time, so he built this two-tiered stand, which has a channel down the middle to not muffle the sound.

LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    12" Toca Synergy Vuur Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    8" X 14" Mid-East metal Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum
    ...and more to come, I hope...

User Info Menu

[quote=DrumDame;427503]This is cheating a bit, I didn't make this drum stand, my husband did. I wanted something to make it easier to play both of my djembe's at the same time, so he built this two-tiered stand, which has a channel down the middle to not muffle the sound.

What a great and simple solution! Can you please tell me what type of music you play? I'm struggling with choosing which drum (congas or djembe) to play on some songs and I would like to hear what you are doing with two djembes playing simultaniously. Thanks!
    Last edited by busyflyin; 09-19-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    LP Performer Quinto, Conga, Tumba & Remo Nuskyn Heads
    Remo 14" djembe
    Zildjian 14" ZHT High Hats
    Sabian 13"AA El Sabor Salsa Splash
    Cajon
    LP Performer Series Bongos
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

DrumDame, very bright idea, only one question..is the smaller one stable when you play? nice to have both heads at same level that is for sure.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

MartyM - it's mostly stable. It did shift when I got really going the other day, so we are thinking about adding 4 little dowel pieces to stabilize it.

busyflyin - it's a little hard to answer that question. Mostly I'm playing small pieces that are exercises from my drum teacher, but he takes a lot of those exercises by writing down a few measures from a piece of music that I like. So, I've played snippets of things pulled from rock (Godsmack), jazz (Tuatara), folk (Kiva), etc. He's trying to get me comfortable with things like playing on multiple surfaces. At my lessons, I use congas, at home I have djembes. Playing around at home, I may work a djembe piece (from a workshop I took) on one djembe, or for grins I may shift my left hand to a second drum, just for the mix of sounds. In other words, I'm all over the map
    LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum

User Info Menu

DD; I've just added a 14" Djembe to my gear of mainly two congas and I'm trying to figure it all out. What I really would like to have is a 3rd Conga.. specifically 11.75", to round out my set and get some deeper tones. I've tried using the Djembe for that but it's not a consistent sound with the other 2 drums. The Djembe is awesome as-is, but sometimes I would like to have a 10" to get that sound too.. we are all just experimenting I guess!!
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

Talking Re: Make It Yourself... MIY

Definitely experimenting. That's a big chunk of the fun. Like discovering doing a flam with the first part as a tone on the small djembe (the Remo with a Skyndeep head) and the second part as a bass note on the larger djembe (with goat skin head) just makes me say "ooooo" because I really liked the sound. Ah, I'm such a newbie, but it's cool.
    LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum

User Info Menu

Here's a MIY trap table. It was a moderately easy project except that I have access to a lathe at work and many people will not have the same advantage. I used a cookie tray made from aluminum. It' measures 13 x 18 and on the back it's stamped Polar Ware Co 1614A Made in USA. I've had it for years and don't remember where I bought it. I've used it as a tray to keep parts from rolling off the table for a number of projects. It's pretty heavy duty and I know it didn't cost much or I wouldn't have bought it!! Then for the adapter, I used a piece of aluminum that's 3 1/2" in diameter and about a half inch thick. I drilled it with a 9/16 bit and tapped it to 5/8"-11. Then I cut the head off a long bold and threaded it in securing it with loctite. I chucked it back up into the lathe by the bolt and faced off everything so it was perpendicular to the bolt. Maybe an unnecessary step. Well,,, I had to cut the threads off shorter on the bolt first. I racked my brain trying to figure out how to attach it to the cookie sheet easily and then it hit me to use JB weld. Worked like a charm! I scuffed up the cookie sheet with sandpaper to prep for paint than used a Rustoleum hammer finish black paint that i got at Home Depot. The rubber mat is also from Home Depot. The flooring guy sold me a 2' long remnant of a rubber runner for 3 bucks. I had some spray adhesive left over from another project and just put it all to gether. I would also mention that I used 4 light coats of paint with no primer and then when it was dry to the touch, I put it in the oven at 170 Degrees F. to cure it. Then I put the rubber mat on and mounted it on a Tama cymbal stand that I bought used for $25. I think the whole thing was less than $50. I didn't need a big trap table, just something for shakers, harmonicas, and some other toys. BTW; the 5/8" bold fits nicely into the stand after removing the top section of stand.. the one that has the cymbal mount on it. No mods to the stand are necessary. OK... ready to jam!!!

Last edited by busyflyin; 01-07-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes