Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A very rough eBay cymbal

User Info Menu

Default A very rough eBay cymbal

I picked up this 20" ride on eBay today. No stamps, no ink, no labels. Any guesses?
    It was from a kind of mom and pop internet resale business in upper New York. According to the seller they got it in some stuff left by students over the years at the Crane School of Music at Potsdam State University. Total, with shipping, was $42.65.
    It's going to take some cleaning but, for some reason, I have a good feeling about this cymbal. Dying to get this cleaned up and see/hear what I have.

More photos:[ame="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220816192416&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]OLD 20" RIDE CYMBAL -GROOVES-AS FOUND HEAVY/THICK BRASS - eBay (item 220816192416 end time Jul-25-11 14:14:33 PDT)[/ame]
    Last edited by Cliff5550; 07-25-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

Default Re: A very rough eBay cymbal

not much to loose at 42.65
    good luck and tell us what you think of it
    and congrad

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I want to say its an older zildjian, non pro model. Lathing seems consistent to some I have seen. Do you know what type of metal it is made out of? Or any identifiable markings or stamps.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

I agree with Riouel. For $42.65, it was certainly worth the chance that it might be a good cymbal. I sure can't even make a guess at what it might be, but let us know how you like the sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Looks like my pulse stock no-name ride tbh
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the Paiste 20" 302 brass ride I just sold on ebay.....

Ok, I sold mine in the UK, and it was looking a bit nicer than that! But when I got it, it was very similar until I put a load of elbow grease into cleaning it up.

ETA: Looking at my old pics, I don't think you have a 302 there. The 302 had some quite noticable round stamp marks all round the cymbal, which I can't see any sign of on yours. It's probably an equivalent grade of cymbal though if it's made of brass and doesn't have any engraved or stamped ID.
    Last edited by TPO; 07-26-2011 at 02:28 AM.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

That's kind of what I was thinking rabidpenguin45. The lathing in the closeup near the bell, and in a couple of other shots, reminds me of a 20" Zildjian I had in the late 60s through early 80s. It was my most favorite cymbal of all time and when I saw those lathing grooves...well, I had to get this cymbal. Fingers are crossed.

BTW, I don't recall ever having to clean a cymbal in this poor of condition. Anyone ever tackle one like this? What worked? I've used Zildjian cleaner/polish, etc. and I've read the cymbal cleaning thread. But, those primarily talked about fingerprints and some grime. This looks a little tougher.
    Last edited by Cliff5550; 07-26-2011 at 07:44 AM.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

User Info Menu

Some acidic cymbal cleaner will do the job. You will probably need multiple applications, but you could definitely shine that cymbal up and get some dirt and grime off of it. I bought a 21'' AA Rock Ride that was probably 3x worse than that cymbal and covered in tape and some groove juice/sabian cymbal cleaner polished it back to a pretty remarkable shape.

User Info Menu

You say its nice and heavy! clean it up a bit and if it sounds as good as it looks who cares who made it...call it a...C5550 heavy ride!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

A C5550 Heavy Ride. I like that!

John Bonham

User Info Menu

Good, now when you start marketing....I will take my usual 10% cut! LOL! enjoy!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Looks to be quite old, any identifying marks like logos and stamps aren't visible so it's difficult to say exactly what it is. It is dirty, but if it's not damaged i'd pick it up and clean it to find out what it sounds like.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

That ride looks alot like my Zildjian A 20" jazz ride which was included with this kit. The lathing looks familar and as I recall my ride was made in the '70s. I still have it and will keep it for a long time! Great score for $40+ dollars. Congrats on a great find.

Last edited by late8; 07-26-2011 at 12:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Give it a good bath in the tub with dawn and a stiff plastic bristle brush, That will get the dirt and grime off. Then some type cleaner. Sometimes you have to look really close to see the zildjian stamp on those cymbals. I have one that the stamp is easily missed and you have to really look to find and see it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Reminds me of an old Pearl cymbal I used to have.

A quick search for "old pearl cymbal" yielded this...

http://www.americanlisted.com/arkans..._12587290.html

Looks like a close match.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Yes, but a closeup of the lathing looks a lot like this one, too. Still have my fingers crossed.
    [ame="http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-USED-20-ZILDJIAN-RIDE-CYMBAL-DRUMS-/280697002387?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415ad8 5993"]OLD USED 20" ZILDJIAN RIDE CYMBAL FOR DRUMS | eBay[/ame]

John Bonham

User Info Menu

My guess is Zildgan...probably early to mid 70's.....Of course this is my first official " identify the picture scenario". Gotta' look really close, especially on the outside edge, with a magnifier before you clean it. Looks like fun...most likely sounds even better ! Great find.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

I had a 70's Zildjian cymbal for many years and had no idea what it was until I became familiar with stamp logos. Once I realized it might have a stamp... BOOM... I immediately found the Zildjian logo. It wasn't even that faint, I just didn't think to look for it.

I imagine if you can get it really cleaned up and it's a Z you'll find a stamp logo. If not... well then it's probably not a Zildjian (or Paiste for that matter). Let us know if/when you find that stamp!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

I'm dying here waiting for the USPS! It's shipping from upper New York to Illinois and this is the third day tracking has had it in Pennsylvania. As my kids say, OMG!

John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff5550 View Post
    I'm dying here waiting for the USPS! It's shipping from upper New York to Illinois and this is the third day tracking has had it in Pennsylvania. As my kids say, OMG!
    My guess is you'll see it tomorrow. Sometimes I get UPS before it updates.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Got the cymbal today! Yeh!!
    In the process of cleaning now and I see NO stamp or mark of any kind. Still, it's starting to sound like a good, heavy ride. I'll know more tonight when I can get it with my set at practice. Can't be disappointed for $43.

From this....

To this....

Last edited by Cliff5550; 08-02-2011 at 11:49 AM.

John Bonham

User Info Menu

Wow!!!! Very nice!!! Find the stamp yet?

User Info Menu

Is it just me, or does it look like there are a few edge dents, including one pretty big one, in the bottom picture?

User Info Menu

Looks like it cleaned up pretty well.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpenguin45 View Post
    Is it just me, or does it look like there are a few edge dents, including one pretty big one, in the bottom picture?
    I saw that too
    Glad to hear that you're happy with the purchase! I'm curious to hear what it sounds like now, too
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King