Thread: Few questions about Tom heads....

User Info Menu

Default Few questions about Tom heads....

Hey guys,
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FRsWX97O6m4

This guy uses the heads that I really want to get but I don't know which ones they are. I think they may be pinstripe if you could help me out. And he says his heads resonate alot so he has Evans rings on them. What does he mean by resonate? Also I have a crappy kit would the heads still sound the same?

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...EE&view=videos

This guy has Remo weatherking pinstripe heads and he doesn't have Evans rings. So all I need to know now is how much does the size of the toms change the sound??
    Last edited by Lucius-Borich-JR; 07-27-2011 at 05:25 AM.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Default Re: Few questions about Tom heads....

Your links don't work for me.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Don't worry bout it. I just want to know what Evans rings do to the heads, and what it means by stopping the heads resonating.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

The O rings remove the overtones just like moongel and tape and does not affect the resonance. Resonance is the vibration of the bottom head. The only way to control resonance is to tighten or losen reso head. I could be wrong.

User Info Menu

While the O-Rings will certainly tame overtones they will also knock down the resonance of the drum.

User Info Menu

Question Re: Few questions about Tom heads....

Good afternoon, Lucius...

I'm afraid that you are going to take me to be a grumpy old sod (and you could be right...), but I'll try loyally to help you here; you may not like it, though (sorry in advance...).
    Are you sure that you're asking the right questions..? I do realise (yes, I was young once...) that one is not born with all this expertise, and dumb questions are never as dumb as all that. I'm just puzzled as to the final result of what you seem to be looking for. Let me illustrate...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius-Borich-JR View Post
    Hey guys,
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FRsWX97O6m4

This guy uses the heads that I really want to get but I don't know which ones they are. I think they may be pinstripe if you could help me out. And he says his heads resonate alot so he has Evans rings on them. What does he mean by resonate? Also I have a crappy kit would the heads still sound the same?

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...EE&view=videos

This guy has Remo weatherking pinstripe heads and he doesn't have Evans rings...
    I may be wrong (often happens..!), but I think that PowerStroke heads already have a built-in ring, specifically to reduce 'ringing' overtones and 'control' resonance. There are many other makes and models with this same approach, and 'O-rings' and gel, or tape, have the same purpose. What are you looking for in the heads that you have seen that you don't already have..? Is there a 'problem' with your 'crappy' kit..?
    Incidently, unless they've been damaged or abused in some way, a 'Sonic Drive' kit, whilst not having the prestige and noble build of a top-end DW or Ludwig, is not inherently 'crap'. It can, and should, be made to sound as you want, with decent heads in good condition and careful tuning (implies good ears and patience...). Same for your cymbals (at least from your sig...); whilst not top-end pro, they're not 'crap' (imho...).

...So all I need to know now is how much does the size of the toms change the sound??
    Again, puzzled. I don't want to appear rude, but I would have thought this to be obvious. You have the drums before you; when you strike each, does not the sound differ from drum to drum? There may be something badly expressed here (either in your question, or my reply; possibly both...), between this and the 'O-ring' part. Could you explain please?

Don't worry bout it. I just want to know what Evans rings do to the heads, and what it means by stopping the heads resonating.
    Again, you have the answer to this before you. If you tap the snare head (or tom head...), it will resonate. The whole surface is vibrating, basically freely. If you touch the head, even very lightly, the energy gets dampened down, or absorbed; the vibration stops. That's what Gaffa Tape, or Moon Gel, or O-Rings, or a towel, do. They absorb the energy (to a greater or less extent...) thus reducing the vibrations after the initial 'thwack'.
    This is built-in to your PowerStroke heads; they have an inner ring, doubling the thickness, and dampening down the overtones, or resonance. Correct tuning will be much more important to your sound than changing manufacturer, I believe.
    So... (sorry, but I did warn you...) what is the real question..? Is there something about your sound that we can help you with? I would be delighted, provided that I understand the question.
    Be assured that, despite the tone of this, I sympathise and wish to help; as said previously, I have been known to ask the most stupid of questions in my time, and have often been shown up for a fool (deservedly, did I hear someone say..?).
    No malice intended, hope this helps...
    Last edited by Dad3353; 07-27-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

I think a better approach would be to ask you what you want your drums to sound like.

It helps to know what size your drums are and what material they are constructed from.

In my experience, "O" rings actually accentuate the resonance on my Pearl Masters. That's why I even use them. Now that is with a two ply clear head.

I am able to achieve a similar result with a single ply coated head and no "O" ring.

It also has a lot to do with how you tune your drums and what your personal tastes are.

If you could give us your drum specs I think the answer would be a little more direct and to the point.

In a nut shell, if you want more attack, go clear. If you want more warmth go with coated.

If you want more deadness than ring, go with pin stripes.

Again, the information I'm providing is my own personal experience over the last few years with the many kits I experimented with. Your results could vary.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Dad I know you don't mean at all to sound rude but when I was reading what you said and contradicting my questions I couldn't help but think you were being rude. But anyway I suppose I didn't word my questions right. My sizes for my toms are 12,13,16. So you guys are saying that the rings would stabilize the resonating or I should just go buy some powerstroke heads to stop it.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Hi Lucius,

With drum heads, you can either buy heads that have a dampening device built in, which is part of the head, or you can buy heads that don't have any form or dampening and then, if you feel you need to, you add the dampening you want with either moon gel or o rings or in some cases gaffer tape over a tissue/napkin, whatever works for you.

Anything you put on the head will stop the drum from vibrating/resonating as much as it would without, this will shorten the length of the 'note' once hit, some heads have this built in and some don't.

I don't use any dampening on my tom heads anymore, but I have used heads with dampening in them such as Evans EC2s. I have fusion size toms (10",12" and 14") and I like my drums to resonate more so that, once hit, the note lasts longer.

The reason why you would dampen drums isn't nessasserily to do with how long the note of the drum lasts but it is the overtones that you hear after the initial attack once you have striked the head, so you will get the initial thud and then other ringing tones that you may not like. With my drums I can stop this from happening by tuning properly but I remember for years before I could tune, and get a fundamental note out of a drum, I used to dampen the heads so that those overtones couldn't be heard.

Some drums can be tuned perfectly and still produce overtones that you may not like, even some of the pros use moon gel etc, it all depends on many things such as the drum constuction, the bearing edges, the drum heads being used, where in pitch the drums are tuned etc.

So my advice would be is if you are hearing overtones that you do not like and you can't change that with tuning then try either going and buying drum heads with dampening built in or try muffling the drum with O rings/moon gel and seeing if you can get a better sound.

None of this is an exact science alot of it is trial and error and the only way to know if you like something is to try it.

I hope I have explained this in an easy to understand way and I hope it helps.
    Last edited by Jerzey Street Band (JSB); 07-28-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband