Thread: To port or not to port?

User Info Menu

Default To port or not to port?

I'm just about to buy some new bass drum heads and am going back and forth over whether to get a ported resonant head or not.

Drum is a 22" Pearl forum with a single bog standard Pearl pedal. (I may upgrade to a double later in the year). I've decided to go for the Aquarian Superkick II batter head and want to pair it up with the Aquarian Regulator resonant head.

I'm playing mostly classic rock style music and am looking for that nice flat thump with no boom or musical 'tom' sound. Think Phil Rudd, Frank Beard and Joey Kramer and you're on the same page as me. Definitely no Jazz, but neither will I be wandering into speed metal territory.

These days I play almost exclusively heal down, which is a recent switch as I couldn't get the speed and agility out of heal up. I also recently took out the duvet that was previously providing massive muffling to the drum (it pretty much filled the whole drum). Having done so, the feel of the drum has improved considerably and I like the extra bounce I'm getting. Also I can feel the kick in my stomach now, which I find helps with the music. However, the current heads are the original stock Pearl heads which are simple, old and knackered and since taking out the muffling they sound is far too boomy with too much 'tone', like a big tom.

Room is very small (the kit pretty much fills it) and I only play for practise and enjoyment. I don't gig at all and have no plans to do so. So things like micing and projection aren't important to me, I just want it to sound and feel good to me.

My instinct is to go for a non-ported, but they aren't so easy to find online and I have found a good deal to get the 4 1/4" ported Regulator along with the Super Kick II with combined postage. Getting the non-ported seperately would add about 20% to the overall cost!

Doing some reading, opinion seems to vary quite a lot about whether porting makes a difference to the sound and if so how much. There's lots of talk of audience projection and placing mics, but I don't care about that. I have read that porting reduces the bounce somewhat, and I quite like the bounce I'm getting now. But maybe I could compensate with the springs, not to mention I've got my eye on an upgrade to some Iron Cobras later this year which would probably be a bit faster than my basic stock Pearl.

Am I over-thinking this? I'm still very much a learner at drums and my playing is remarkably unsophisticated. If its only going to make a subtle difference I'll just go with the deal. On the other hand I'm already going to get it in the neck from my wife for dropping yet more money on the kit, so I'm going to be stuck with whatever I buy for quite some time to come!

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated!

ETA: Woah! just noticed the porting thread in hardware board (not sure how I missed that before). I don't really want to re-ignite a holy war, so could folks maybe just provide advice to my specific situation?
    Last edited by TPO; 07-27-2011 at 07:55 AM.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Default Re: To port or not to port?

Yes I was just about to mention that too. Yeah you don't want to re-ignite that hot topic and I am surprised that the Mods where not quick at jumping in on that topic. I guess it is Summer and most are on vacation.

User Info Menu

In your situation I would recommend a port hole simply to allow you to put various things inside your drum to get the sound/feel you are looking for. Otherwise you will have to remove the head.

User Info Menu

I replaced the stock heads on my 22" Super Star kick with that exact batter/reso combination. I went with the ported reso and I love the sound I'm getting with no muffling. I also like the reduced bounce off the batter from the porting. I feel like it gives me better control.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post
    ...Any thoughts or opinions appreciated!...
    Good afternoon, TPO...
    If you're not 'playing out' or recording, I would highly recommend a non-ported head, in the same way as for floor toms, or snares. That's how your drum gives its best (assuming correct tuning, of course...).
    Porting is primarily useful when listening fom the front (the public, or mics...). If you're playing at home, the sound that's most important to you will be what you hear from your seat. 'projection' and such are then basically out of the equation.
    Porting was invented when PA started being used, and when close micing became current in studios (with multi-tracking...). There is no need if you're not in such a situation. Similarly, triggers are now common, so the native acoustics are of less consequence to some drummers for their sound, as samples have taken over (samples, incidently, often of unported drums...!).
    To cater for an excess of 'boom', I use felt strips on batter and reso heads, adjusted to fit the circumstance (see avatar pic...); to pick up the batter head for 'live' or recording I have a mic built in to the bass drum.
    To each his own, of course, and if budget is a factor then it will have its own weight; personally I have tried ported and rejected the concept (but then, I'm old...).
    Hope this helps...
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    Good afternoon, TPO...
    If you're not 'playing out' or recording, I would highly recommend a non-ported head, in the same way as for floor toms, or snares. That's how your drum gives its best (assuming correct tuning, of course...).
    Porting is primarily useful when listening fom the front (the public, or mics...). If you're playing at home, the sound that's most important to you will be what you hear from your seat. 'projection' and such are then basically out of the equation.
    Porting was invented when PA started being used, and when close micing became current in studios (with multi-tracking...). There is no need if you're not in such a situation. Similarly, triggers are now common, so the native acoustics are of less consequence to some drummers for their sound, as samples have taken over (samples, incidently, often of unported drums...!).
    To cater for an excess of 'boom', I use felt strips on batter and reso heads, adjusted to fit the circumstance (see avatar pic...); to pick up the batter head for 'live' or recording I have a mic built in to the bass drum.
    To each his own, of course, and if budget is a factor then it will have its own weight; personally I have tried ported and rejected the concept (but then, I'm old...).
    Hope this helps...
    Thanks for that, definitely helps.

As it happens I've contacted the place with the good deal and they have the non-ported available for the same price (their website has a fault and isn't displaying it), so the money has been taken out of the equation.

In terms of using felt for damping, my understanding is that both the Super Kick and Regulator heads have that built in. Do you think that would do a sufficient job, or would you consider additional damping on top? (subject to conidtions and sound sought, etc)
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

TPO, I think one important factor for you will be that you like the pedal rebound that you get with your unported head. Porting the head will reduce the "bounce" because you are letting air escape through the port. Some prefer the ported feel, while others prefer the unported feel. Just a factor to consider.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: To port or not to port?

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post
    ...Super Kick and Regulator heads have that built in. Do you think that would do a sufficient job...
    TPO...
    Yes, quite likely that no extra damping would be required. Correctly tuned, that combination will sound fine. I'm not a fan, either of stuffing pillows and such, unless absolutely necessary, so I would try just tuning up carefully, play for a week or so, and tell us all how it all works out.
    Sounds great; have fun...
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

I would highly caution against using any type of felt strip between the head and drum shell.

If for no other reason you will lose the contact points between the head and the bearing edge. I tried it years ago and the sound was undesirable. The only time incorporating any full length felt strips was needed was in the studio with no reso head. This completely deadens the drum which sound techs love. That gave the recording engineer free reign to "enhance" the bass drum sound with electronic gear. I don't always agree with that concept but different studios and different songs sometimes requires extreme measures.

With the right head combination and good tuning skills you shouldn't need any type of internal muffling. I've been there done that and found that all of my sets have sounded the best with a ported reso and no internal muffling. I also gig and porting the reso gives the best overall effect for micing and performing live, in my experience.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

this thread is about port choice i think?

port it in almost every instance
    but its really about head choice for you .......SKII was awesome but its too round and sounds more like a tom to me than any head iv used
    Last edited by itchie; 07-28-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Larrysperf Guest

If your going to port I say get a Kickport well worth 40 bucks Use 1 on my Emad

User Info Menu

Decided to get unported. Was able to get the same price (slightly cheaper in fact) as the deal I saw on the port. It seems the things the port is good for don't matter to me, and the things it takes away (specifically bounce), is stuff I quite like.

So I've ordered 1x 22" Superkick II and 1x 22" unported Regulator, should arrive early next week and then I get to fit new drumheads for the first time ever!

User Info Menu

Porting it to me makes it feel a slight bit different, but in a good way. Better to mic up something with a port than without one, they just don't have the same presence and volume unfortunately.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I would highly caution against using any type of felt strip between the head and drum shell.

If for no other reason you will lose the contact points between the head and the bearing edge. I tried it years ago and the sound was undesirable. The only time incorporating any full length felt strips was needed was in the studio with no reso head. This completely deadens the drum which sound techs love. That gave the recording engineer free reign to "enhance" the bass drum sound with electronic gear. I don't always agree with that concept but different studios and different songs sometimes requires extreme measures.

With the right head combination and good tuning skills you shouldn't need any type of internal muffling. I've been there done that and found that all of my sets have sounded the best with a ported reso and no internal muffling. I also gig and porting the reso gives the best overall effect for micing and performing live, in my experience.
    What a world! After a lot of experimenting with this mid 80's birch Ludwig 18" kick, i found the sound that made it sound bigger, deeper than it ought to, was in fact a no ported, coated ambsassador reso with a powerstroke III batter, and a permanently mounted Heil PR48 kick drum mic. Perhaps because of its size, there is no bounce from not having a port,whereas when i don't port on a 22", i get tons o rebound. The felt is pretty old, and gettin a little thin, so it doesn't throw off the bearing edge contact too badly. The kit was given to me last year or so (its in my profile album), i sunk $200 cdn into it for heads and mounting hardware, stand etc, and it was stored poorly so there may be some structural, roundness, lug, tension rod issues with it, so maybe i got lucky when i put the felt in, it may have helped!
    Well, back Foreigner's 1st album on viynl- man, i'm so glad i have a turntable that still works.....
    my 2cents

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    What a world! After a lot of experimenting with this mid 80's birch Ludwig 18" kick, i found the sound that made it sound bigger, deeper than it ought to, was in fact a no ported, coated ambsassador reso with a powerstroke III batter, and a permanently mounted Heil PR48 kick drum mic. Perhaps because of its size, there is no bounce from not having a port,whereas when i don't port on a 22", i get tons o rebound. The felt is pretty old, and gettin a little thin, so it doesn't throw off the bearing edge contact too badly. The kit was given to me last year or so (its in my profile album), i sunk $200 cdn into it for heads and mounting hardware, stand etc, and it was stored poorly so there may be some structural, roundness, lug, tension rod issues with it, so maybe i got lucky when i put the felt in, it may have helped!
    Well, back Foreigner's 1st album on viynl- man, i'm so glad i have a turntable that still works.....
    my 2cents
    In my opinion, the larger the diameter of the drum head the more it'll flex with pressure. That might be why you notice the difference more with the 22" head. I port all mine so I guess I didn't notice the difference in the bouncing action.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    In my opinion, the larger the diameter of the drum head the more it'll flex with pressure. That might be why you notice the difference more with the 22" head. I port all mine so I guess I didn't notice the difference in the bouncing action.
    Makes sense to me!
    Cheers

User Info Menu

Heads arrived today, took them and my drum round to my tutor so he could talk me through fitting them as this is my first attempt.

He put them on finger tight, did a quick stretch, then said we now see what it sounds like and tune it from here. Except it immediately sounded perfect! In fact he was amazed that it was instantly the exact sound he wanted, never mind me!

Took it home, put the kit back together and had a quick jam. Realy interesting difference.

The sound if perfect, that deep thump I wanted. Interestingly, the bounce has lessened compared to my previous heads, presumably because the tuning is looser, but it still feels fine. Glad I didn't go ported though if that would have given even less bounce!

In fact the kick feels faster and more responsive than before, which is nice. Might just be in my mind, but the whole drum feels like a better instrument than before.

Overall, I'm really pleased with it. Now I just need to have a proper session when my wife isn't shouting at me to let the kids go to bed