• Keith Moon

17 70.83%
  • Charlie Watts

7 29.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keith Moon v Charlie Watts

User Info Menu

Default Keith Moon v Charlie Watts

Im tired of all this "JJ v Travis" Lets pit two drumming legends and two of my favorite "old" drummers against eachover.

In the red corner... Keith Moon!
    And in the blue corner... Charlie Watts!

User Info Menu

IM not gonna vote cos i cant decide.

User Info Menu

sorry charlie, gotta vote moony on this one. moon and bonham would be a tougher vote for me. but i still love watts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    sorry charlie, gotta vote moony on this one. moon and bonham would be a tougher vote for me. but i still love watts.
    I vote Moon to, but if it were between Moon and Bonham I think that Moon would get destroyed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PEACEdrummer
    I vote Moon to, but if it were between Moon and Bonham I think that Moon would get destroyed.

I knew that would be the case so thats why i took Watts v Moon instead.

User Info Menu

I love the sound that Watts contributes to the Stones, but I confess that Keith Moon exhibits his talent more. The one thing I have trouble with in evaluating drummers is whether we really see all their talent in the band's music. I wonder if Bonham would have made legend status without the song Moby ****.

On the basis of what I can hear as the criteria, I have to go with Keith Moon.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Black Dog is probobly one of the most original drum tracks Ive ever heard. So yeah he would still hav his legend status in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Good point. Hadn't thought about that one. I guess good drumming can be heard by those who really understand drumming. I'm working on it!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Im just a huge Zeppln Fan

User Info Menu

Nobody will ever fault someone for that statement. I grew up on Zeppelin. My first LP (if that doesn't date me, nothing will!) was their second album with Whole Lotta Love. I was hooked!

User Info Menu

Cool Keith Moon vs. Charlie Watts

Charlie Watts may be one of the older drummers in the rock world, but relatively few people know that he is a "swing" drummer (listen closely to some of his work)...he has played with swing and jazz musicians to rave reviews as well as his work with the Stones...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

grasslander Guest

I voted for Keith Moon, but I do like Charlie too. He has that subtletly like Ringo Starr, and people don't notice it. I like Keith's sort of explosive, traveling quality; I like Charlie's groove. I like both the 'Stones and The Who, so this wasn't easy

User Info Menu

I had to vote Moon. I got into the Who only recently, and last year they were in Ireland, so i had to listen to some of their stuff. Impressive!

I am not a huge fan of Ringo Starr at all, I think that he was carried by the rest of the band a lot, i thought the drumming could have been spiced up a bit. But hey!! Look at how popular The Beatles were!!

i never listened to the Rolling Stones, maybe Paint It Black, but I dont listen to them.
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Are you kidding? Charlie Watts? Moon would destroy him. I never could stand Charlie.

User Info Menu

keith moon..on account of i dont know who charlie watts is..

User Info Menu

MI, Charlie Watts is the drummer for the Rolling Stones. Drummerworld has a bio on him, if you're interested. Here's the link.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Charlie_Watts.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Charlie Watts may be one of the older drummers in the rock world, but relatively few people know that he is a "swing" drummer (listen closely to some of his work)...he has played with swing and jazz musicians to rave reviews as well as his work with the Stones...

OLA como estas BB Forsure I met Charlie & spoke with him
    About His PASSION for the ART of Jazz He is Very old Schooled ARTIST Drummer who Loved Buddy Max Gene Louie,Philly & a whole lot More
    HE also is A very COOL CAT**GRACIAS I loved the FACT that You STATED**
    GRACIAS

User Info Menu

THEY are Both OUTSANDING ARTIST with 2 distinct Different
    Styles They Both Really New how to compliment the other ARTIST Musicians
    in THe Group I mean THE WHO Was Fantastic & still doing Great as solo PerFormmers *Its Unfortunate That keith died so young & John the Bass Player died Pretty young himself ,,&as far as CharLie Watts That GUY WAS & STILL "ROCK" Solid He Plays So MAny STYLES of Music & THE Rolling Stones THOSE CATS Are sTill PerForming Too Record Breaking Crowds THEY both are &were Fantastic Groups (BANDS)Gracias

User Info Menu

On this Web site, the debates about who is the better famous drummer are amusing.

Learn from the drummers you admire, steal their best licks, and get over it. Hero worship is anti-productive and a massive waste of time. I went through the idiotic Peart thing like many of you did (and still are). Just don't hang out there, and take the best of what you hear from all drummers, incorporate that into your work, but always remember it's your imagination that sets you apart.

YOU are the best drummer you know.

Don't make me say this again.

No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

User Info Menu

I don't agree with Herb Utsmelz often but this time buddy...bang on!

Charlie and Keith in my books are complete equals with huge contributions to rock music...Charlie his straight ahead danceable grooves and Keith, his sheer extravagance!
    all the best...

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Keith Moon v Charlie Watts

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I don't agree with Herb Utsmelz often but this time buddy...bang on!

Charlie and Keith in my books are complete equals with huge contributions to rock music...Charlie his straight ahead danceable grooves and Keith, his sheer extravagance!
    all the best...
    OLA*** Very well STATED KG

ThePloughman Guest

I would take charlie over moon any day.

Not to take anything away from moon, he was a great player. Raw, powerful, energetic, revolutionary. But he could have never played with the stones.

User Info Menu

An extra Floor Tom full of Gold Fish for balancing his beers on? Got to be Keith Moon!!
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    An extra Floor Tom full of Gold Fish for balancing his beers on? Got to be Keith Moon!!
    I hear ya on that one!!!!
    But it's also precisely why I voted for Charlie Watts. I think Moon was more style over substance. Plus Charlie Watts plays swing / jazz really well......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I wonder if Bonham would have made legend status without the song Moby ****.
    WE'VE HAD 4 ALREADY BUT NOW WE'RE STEADY AND THEN THEY WENT ONE...TWO...THREE...FOUR
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XaMzgA2V7Gk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kvU2kYHNoIQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_Qz8VYEZqds

Just some of his awesome tracks, not to mention everything on Led Zep IV, which is just amazing.

On topic, I voted for Moon. Charlie Watts...it's strange how everyone here says that there's no way Moon could drum for the Stones, simply because he couldn't swing; but I'm pretty sure Moon was initially influenced by jazz drummers like Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich before getting into surf rock and then developing his own style...
    And as for sheer technique and skill, Moon wins hands down.
    Last edited by Ethel_The_Frog; 01-28-2008 at 11:01 AM.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...