Thread: Snare Buzz

User Info Menu

Angry Snare Buzz

I have tried multiple different tunings, tightened the snares and loosened 'em, and even read the "snare buzz" section of the drumming bible and still loads of snare buzz!!! does anyone have some pointers on this?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Buzz

New Drum ? ...new wires ? or did it start all of a sudden ? What prompts it to buzz ? Reason I ask is the sharp pain in my eye everytime I drank coffee went away when I took the spoon out of the cup.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

it is a new 14x5.5 yamaha stage custom steel snare, the drum that makes it buzz most is my 12x9 tom

User Info Menu

My 10" tom makes my snare buzz. I just don't worry about it.

User Info Menu

The tom's proximity effect plays a large part in the cause of buzz, they have a natural reaction that is tough to eliminate without making your setup uncomfortably distant. Make sure top and bottom heads are tuned fairly close to each other, but I have found some small strips of well placed scotch tape particularly useful. Try them at opposite ends of the wires after the wires are on. Ideally you want some buzz, but you do not want it choked too high. Also, where do you play your drums? If it's a gig or a band practice you won't notice as much as a studio session. Welcome to drumchat ty.
    Last edited by Russ; 07-28-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    The tom's proximity effect plays a large part in the cause of buzz, they have a natural reaction that is tough to eliminate without making your setup uncomfortably distant. Make sure top and bottom heads are tuned fairly close to each other, but I have found some small strips of well placed scotch tape particularly useful. Try them at opposite ends of the wires after the wires are on. Ideally you want some buzz, but you do not want it choked too high. Also, where do you play your drums? If it's a gig or a band practice you won't notice as much as a studio session. Welcome to drumchat ty.
    thanks ill try what you said.

User Info Menu

You can try and tune either your 12" tom or your snare to get your snare to stop buzzing when you hit your 12" tom. But guess what, your 10", or your bass drum, or floor tom will then create the same problem, plus I'm sure that you have your tom and snare tuned to where you like how they sound, so you would have to re-tune one or both of them to stop the buzz, and so it keeps on snowballing like that until you end up right back where you started. There are a couple of things that you can do besides re-tuning. Loosen the 4 snare side lugs that are right next to your snare wires sometimes helps. Or you can do the unspeakable trick of wrapping some masking tape around your snare wires at both ends so they become less active. But really there isn't anything sure fire that gets rid of snare buzz completely. Unless your miking your kit for recording purposes, you don't hear it much anyway with everything else going on. Good luck. Cheers.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Most of the time when my snare buzzes it is the 12x9 tom. Try de-tuning it a bit lower and that will probably fix it if your snare is tuned right. Like many say it is normal to have some buzzing coming from the snare but when they are loud and annoying then that is a different story. Try what I mentioned and see if that helps.

User Info Menu

Dude, I just live with mine. I try to minimize it as much as possible, but all my drums cause my snare to buzz.

My kit is in the rec. room of my basement and was watching tv one night and noticed a buzz comming from one of my snares under my workbench. From the tv! The snare wires wear in the relaxed mode too!

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Mine buzzes a bit too. I notice it more when I just hit one tom at a time not so much when I'm playing along to a song. But if it was buzzing way too much then I would think something was not right also.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

It's usually the mounted tom(s).

This won't help with the snare buzz, but it might help with tuning floor toms.

I only found this a couple of days ago, but it seems to work.

I have a 16x16 and a 18x16. When I get the 16x16 where I want it, I'll move the 18x16 a couple of feet away, and start tuning it.

Lay a stick on the 16x16, and start tuning the 18x16. I noticed that when the stick has a smooth vibration when you hit the 18x16, they are really close in tune. (not bouncing all over the place, just a smooth vibration).

I'm going to fool around with this tomorrow and see how it plays out.

User Info Menu

A little duct tape on your snares should fix it up ( it did for me ), but I understand if you aren't comfortable using duct tape on your snares.
    I personally like a little or a lot of buzz from my snare because it really adds a real, acoustic feel to my kit IMO. However, I also understand people's annoyance with the issue.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

I'll tell you this...I sure won't de-tune my 10" tom even a little. I've finally got it where it sounds awesome.

User Info Menu

all good practical solutions...You can also try changing the angle of one or both drums. Since you have a steel snare....I might suggest a small piece of medical gauze on the bearing edge then tune accordingly. That damn buzz can be sooooo annoying.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

Larrysperf Guest

Ok I was getting snare buss real bad when I changed my stock Ludwig snares for Pursounds. So I fooled around with my tom tuning and have almost got rid of it just my 10 makes it Buzz just so slight so I can live with that. Plus I have always tuned my drums very low and now with the tighter tuning am liking them. So all in all change can be good sometimes. I think even Bish would like the new sound lol

User Info Menu

As Russ said,"If it's a gig or a band practice you won't notice as much as a studio session. Welcome to drumchat ty."

Every lead guitar makes mine buzz! When the bass cranks up, I never notice the buzz...
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Check the snare bed on the shell & the position of the snare wire throw off & butt plate. Look for alignment issues & check the wires them selves. They may be over stretched or improperly made. ( I never have this problem w/ PureSound wires ) Some times the outer wires can be sniped off to narrow the wires that contact the head, it is the outer wires that are most often the culprit. Posibly the drum has a poorly made snare bed. If it is a vintage Rogers Dynasonic model, it has a different snare bed design that does not use conventional snare bed on the shell & only the factory snare frame & original wires from Rogers or replicas made by PureSouns will fit correctly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MR. G View Post
    New Drum ? ...new wires ? or did it start all of a sudden ? What prompts it to buzz ? Reason I ask is the sharp pain in my eye everytime I drank coffee went away when I took the spoon out of the cup.
    lol....simpathetic vibrations Mon...

User Info Menu

both my snares buzz when i hit anything; such is life, the show must go on. sometimes ill turn the snares off if im practicing something new
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

I fixed it a while ago, here's how......
    If i took of the moongel on my toms and snare
    I would here the ringing of the drums OVER the snare
    buzz. Now my drums sound good and ring out