Thread: Brand New Motorola Droid 3 ( Relased 7/14/11)

User Info Menu

Default Brand New Motorola Droid 3 ( Relased 7/14/11)

This thread is for anyone who just got the Motorola Droid 3 and anyone who would like to add.
    I hate to admit it but this is my first "smartphone" and I,d like to get some input on the overall performance.
    I have a week to return it (no strings) to Verizon if I want to get an IPhone4 instead.

From what I know, the IPhone is more user friendly, but the Droid 3 (which I am typing on now) is much more powerful and cost effective.

As I said, I am new, and have only 7 days to decide, so by all means, let the opinions fly.

Thanks much!......Homey
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Brand New Motorola Droid 3 ( Relased 7/14/11)

I've had my Droid for a little over a year. Very happy with it. Had a Blackberry Storm before and hated it. I'm considering getting an iPhone when the latest version is released in Aug/Sept. No particular reason for wanting to switch. Just to try something new I guess. Problem witht the iPhone is that the battery can't be replaced, so if it goes..........the phone is useless.

User Info Menu

I've got the HTC Evo and I hate it. I also hate Sprint's coverage. So I might be rolling with the Verizon iPhone in 18 months. That's the other problem...I've only had this phone for 6 or 7 months.

User Info Menu

That's the thing about buying a new phone. You're stuck with what you pick for 2 years, unless you wanna pay out nose for a new one.

I hope I made the right choice. If they're coming out with a new Iphone next month then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to get one now.
    This version of the Droid is only 2 weeks old.

Anyone pay the 6 dollars a month for the insurance?. If I drop or mess up this phone, I,m screwed...lol.
    Last edited by Homeularis; 07-29-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

I pay for the insurance. Its worth it to me.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I have the HTC Incredible, and I hated it at first, but came to love it. As far as phone insurance goes, I do have it, and I think its worth it, just in case.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kazaamski View Post
    i pay for the insurance. Its worth it to me.
    +1
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have the original Droid and I loved it, that is until the hardware crashed, and instead of sending me a new phone I got a refurbished one, which crashes all the time, shuts off, and doesnt make calls half the time. Im hoping these bugs will be worked out for the Droid 3

User Info Menu

I just got a Motorola Atrix. Its not a droid, but still running Android software. I can say, I love it. Sure beats the crap out of apple's iPhone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    I just got a Motorola Atrix. Its not a droid, but still running Android software. I can say, I love it. Sure beats the crap out of apple's iPhone.
    Whats your take on the iPhone 4?.

I have found out that the battery is practically non existent in my Droid 3.
    It gives me like 3 houre (maybe) of constant usage time, then its back on the plug again.
    You can practically watch the meter dropping...lol.

Is this "normal" for smartphones?, and is the battery better on the iPhone 4.

Sorry for the lame questions, but I gotta choose very soon. :/
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

My friend has the new Iphone and it dies in no time. Considering how much battery is used up when surfing the web and such, I cant complain too much about the Droids battery life (although I cannot attest to the Droid 3).

User Info Menu

I have an iPhone 4, and only charge it overnight. I am on it pretty much all day long. I am on WiFi for a good portion of that, so that may help or hinder. I love my iPhone. It is the most user friendly, and if there is going to be an app made for something, iPhone will always get it first. Not to mention all the accesories you can buy for them (car stereo, alarm clocks, ect). None of that for Android, because there is 1,000,000,235 different models running Android. I think of Android like the Microsoft Zune. It may work well, but you really want an iPod.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Cool Motorola Droid 3 vs iPhone 4

I have been reading countless reviews on both the iphone and Droid and there seems to be alot of love both ways.
    The Droid being "more powerful" and being able to do more things overall and the Iphone being more user friendly.
    Very general, I know, but I,m still learning.

Seems like the iphone has a better battery, but the Droid 3 has the best keyboard in the buisness, if you like slide out keyboards anyway.
    The virtual keyboard seems faster but in reality I have to be so deliberate in my key strokes, coupled with having to go back and correct so many mistakes leads me to believe that I,m a "real" keyboard kinda guy.

The verizon iphone does not support "Flash" either. Is this a big deal?. Does it mean I wont be able to run Youtube videos and the like?. That would suck for sure.

This sounds like I,m leaning heavily towards th Droid, but I still haven't made up my mind
    The path of least resistance would be to keep the Driod 3 that I already have, but I do have a window of a few more days to make up my mind.

Bottom line, I probably wont be upgrading until the 2 years is up (don't wanna blow multiple hundreds to upgrade early) so I,d like to get the best phone for me.
    Last edited by Homeularis; 08-03-2011 at 01:53 AM.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Bump.
    Sorry guys, just hoping for a little more input.
    I only have a few days.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

I have the Verizon iPhone, and although it does not support flash, it runs Youtube video's just fine. I cant think of a time I have used it that I required flash. Any reputible site will support the iPhone, due to its enormous popularity. I think Android is doing well trying to catch up, I just don't think it will ever be an iPhone....
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

I dropped the insurance on mine. Total scam. Read the fine print. I had a $100 deductible if I were to use the insurance. F that. For about the same price I can get a new phone on ebay or somewhere.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I dropped the insurance on mine. Total scam. Read the fine print. I had a $100 deductible if I were to use the insurance. F that. For about the same price I can get a new phone on ebay or somewhere.
    I bought mine at Best Buy...insurance was worth it. ZERO deductable, no questions asked, switched out right in the store. I had an old iPhone 3G, well my kids decided to wash it for me. Yeah, time to replace it lol. But even after being dunked in water, it still worked. The only thing that was really shot was the speakers. And no, I didn't have an Otter Box.

As far as the battery life goes, I have an iPhone4 now, and the battery life lasts a good while. Depending on how much you game or surf the web I would think that it would drain any battery. But I had a couple friends who had Droids and the batteries seemed to be much worse that the iPhone's. You Tube is no problem, and it's not just that carrier that doesn't support Flash, it's an Apple thing, they don't support Flash.

As far as user friendly, you can't beat the iPhone. I can't speak on the other being "more powerful"...not sure what you mean by that. The iPhone does everything I need it to with ease. And I know that I'm not even cracking the surface on its capabilities.

In short, and IMHO, the iPhone is for me, and since I got my first one a few years ago, I have never wanted to even try another brand...the next time I get another phone, it will be the next iPhone!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    I bought mine at Best Buy...insurance was worth it. ZERO deductable, no questions asked, switched out right in the store. I had an old iPhone 3G, well my kids decided to wash it for me. Yeah, time to replace it lol. But even after being dunked in water, it still worked. The only thing that was really shot was the speakers. And no, I didn't have an Otter Box.

As far as the battery life goes, I have an iPhone4 now, and the battery life lasts a good while. Depending on how much you game or surf the web I would think that it would drain any battery. But I had a couple friends who had Droids and the batteries seemed to be much worse that the iPhone's. You Tube is no problem, and it's not just that carrier that doesn't support Flash, it's an Apple thing, they don't support Flash.

As far as user friendly, you can't beat the iPhone. I can't speak on the other being "more powerful"...not sure what you mean by that. The iPhone does everything I need it to with ease. And I know that I'm not even cracking the surface on its capabilities.

In short, and IMHO, the iPhone is for me, and since I got my first one a few years ago, I have never wanted to even try another brand...the next time I get another phone, it will be the next iPhone!
    That's why you gotta know what you're getting with the insurance. For me it wasn't worth the $7/month.

Yours obviously was.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    That's why you gotta know what you're getting with the insurance. For me it wasn't worth the $7/month.

Yours obviously was.
    With small children in the house...absolutely haha

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

With small children in the house...absolutely haha
    My bro in law got pushed in the pool by his wife last year at the beach. His iPhone was in his pocket. It most certainly DID NOT work after that!

User Info Menu

He got pushed in the pool at the beach?? Lol

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

He got pushed in the pool at the beach?? Lol
    Irony of some sort.

User Info Menu

I've got an iPhone. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

User Info Menu

Thanks tons for the input guys, it is really helping me decide which way I wanna go.

The funny part of this whole experiance for me (reading countless reviews on an array of different forums from both sides, as well as objective forums, such as this one) is...There is TONS of love for both units.
    As far as "more power" going to the Droid, I don't have any idea how I would use it, or how to even tap into it.
    My best guess given the limited experiance I have is that the Droids are less held back by having to go through Itunes and have a bigger overall library of information in which to tap.
    These statements come from a true noob (me) and someone who wouldn't have any problem going with one or the other, if it were not for the 2 year obligation given by "the powers that be"!.
    Heck!...If I could only sign for one year, I would literally...FLIP A COIN!!!.

Edit: Man!... I have to plug in my brand new Driod 3 now, after what I would consider a modest day of use...That definately sucks!.
    Last edited by Homeularis; 08-05-2011 at 02:58 AM.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
    Thanks tons for the input guys, it is really helping me decide which way I wanna go.

The funny part of this whole experiance for me (reading countless reviews on an array of different forums from both sides, as well as objective forums, such as this one) is...There is TONS of love for both units.
    As far as "more power" going to the Droid, I don't have any idea how I would use it, or how to even tap into it.
    My best guess given the limited experiance I have is that the Droids are less held back by having to go through Itunes and have a bigger overall library of information in which to tap.
    These statements come from a true noob (me) and someone who wouldn't have any problem going with one or the other, if it were not for the 2 year obligation given by "the powers that be"!.
    Heck!...If I could only sign for one year, I would literally...FLIP A COIN!!!.

Edit: Man!... I have to plug in my brand new Driod 3 now, after what I would consider a modest day of use...That definately sucks!.
    There's always an option to go without a contract I think...but the phones end up costing an arm and a leg. Then how would you drum???? ha.