Thread: Reaper opinions?

User Info Menu

Default Reaper opinions?

So I'm looking into recording software now. My band needs a software that we can use to hand out demo cd's for getting gigs. I'm running my brand new Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. It came with ableton live lite 8 which is a pretty good software, but I'm not a fan of the user interface. And I don't want to spend the $300+ just to unlock its multitrack recording.

So I have used reaper before in school and liked it pretty well, granted I only used it for an hour or 2.
    So my questions become how do you guys feel about Reaper? Should I get the full commercial use license for $150? or the $40 license that is designed for personal use? Is it really worth $100's of dollars more for one of the bigger named programs?

My thoughts on Reaper (I'm running the program right now because it offers a 30 trial before buying one of the licenses):
    The user interface is beautiful
    Very easy to navigate and seems to be as good as the rest
    Works perfect with my pro 40
    All of my effects that are on my computer already will load into it
    It's significantly cheaper than Pro Tools or Logic or Sonar.

So can someone give me a few great reasons not to get reaper?
    Keep in mind its just for demo tapes, band use and what not. I'm sure when I make a bigger plunge into recording I'll hop on the Pro Tools bandwagon lol
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: Reaper opinions?

Reaper is great. We use pro tools but will use reaper when we want to do certain things that pro tools can't do. All in all for the price it is one of the better interfaces out there. I really like the open ended aspect of it and the response from the programmers when you give input.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Reaper is great. We use pro tools but will use reaper when we want to do certain things that pro tools can't do. All in all for the price it is one of the better interfaces out there. I really like the open ended aspect of it and the response from the programmers when you give input.
    Yeah It seems to me that its just as good as the big names, but just a smaller company which makes it cheaper. Do you have an opinion on which license to purchase? Is there any benefit in the full commercial one? or is that just if I plan on making a lot of money using the program?

Edit: Actually their website says how to inquire about upgrading your license by paying the difference. So i think for now the $40 option is probably a great idea. and if needed I can pay $110 to upgrade my license lol. I'm excited about reaper actually.
    Last edited by Zeta; 07-29-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

what ever gets the job done with minimal pain ....that's the bets way

User Info Menu

"Pro Tools v REAPER Sound Test: The Results

FRIDAY, AUGUST 6, 2010 AT 11:33AM | EMAIL ARTICLE
    A week ago we gave users the challenge of seeing if they could identify the difference between two DAW's, Pro Tools and REAPER. Which two was irrelevant, it just happens that we run the Pro Tools and REAPER blogs, so that made sense.

A few things to bear in mind:

The point of the test was to test the theory/urban myth, that one DAW sounds better than the other, even more importantly that it is so different that people can tell.
    The test was never intended to suggest that people switch one way or the other, just to test the theory. People make their choices about DAW on more than just the sound (if indeed there is a sound for each DAW).
    Finally it was just a bit of fun and not meant to be research that could be compared to the kind used for the cure for cancer or life on Mars.
    Before I give you the quantitive results (the numbers) a few qualitative results (the none numbers stuff).

It was interesting to see how passionate people were about their particular DAW and how defensive they became depending on which side of the fence they stood. For example responses from Pro Tools users (the more established, perceived as more professional, bigger investment DAW) made responses such as 'this test proves nothing' or 'what a waste of time'. Whereas those on the REAPER side (new kid on the block, rising star, low cost DAW) made responses such as 'this test proves everything' and 'brilliant'. This alone shows that when it comes to evaluating anything, there's nothing like good old prejudice to skew a participants approach.
    Some people did not complete all 3 of the tests, the second one being the one where both sound files were exactly the same, depending on success on that test (which you found out the result of before you moved on the final test) dictated if a participant continued to the final one. This would indicate that the sense of feeling 'tricked' or 'unable' to tell the difference was enough to make the participant feel that their input was valid or not.
    Now to the numbers. Of 228 of participants who have taken the test to date:

Less than 5% completed the test successfully. If we assume that all of those are through skill and not lucky guesses, then it's hardly convincing evidence that most people can tell the difference, even if there is one.
    Of those who did not complete the test successfully, over 60% could not tell when 2 sound files were exactly the same.
    So what does the test show? It shows that any discussions about DAWs sounding different are on the whole pointless. You should choose the DAW you like working with and get on with making music. If nothing else, next time someone starts off on 'my DAW sounds better than your's' then you know what to say.

As for me - I'm using both Pro Tools and REAPER, so I don't mind either way!"

I know its a bit of a read but I though you guys might find it pretty interesting. After reading a bunch of comparisons and reviews on REAPER I think I can safely choose it, So I'll spend some time learning it better before I buy it.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I downloaded Reaper last night but haven't had a chance to play around with it.

It seems from what I read that you'll only need the cheaper Reaper (I just had to) license if you are using it exclusively at home for yourself.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I downloaded Reaper last night but haven't had a chance to play around with it.

It seems from what I read that you'll only need the cheaper Reaper (I just had to) license if you are using it exclusively at home for yourself.
    Well my band may put it on myspace and make demo cd's in order to get gigs and stuff. but We wouldn't be selling the stuff that we record in my basement lol

And I appreciated that pun by the way lol. I think you'll enjoy Reaper it really is a fun program to use so far.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

You can "evaluate" a fully functioning copy for as long as you like, but definitely worth purchasing a license. It has a ton of great features and uses minimal resources. I've been using it about 6 months with my ekit to practice and record, I think you can get pretty deep into it, but I don't need to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    You can "evaluate" a fully functioning copy for as long as you like, but definitely worth purchasing a license. It has a ton of great features and uses minimal resources. I've been using it about 6 months with my ekit to practice and record, I think you can get pretty deep into it, but I don't need to.
    Yeah I agree its worth buying. But I figure I'll play with it for now and pay when I get my band setup for a full day of recording lol.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

i really don't like pro tools or reaper iv been using ableton for 6 years and never had a problem with it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    i really don't like pro tools or reaper iv been using ableton for 6 years and never had a problem with it
    Maybe I just need to work with it more. But the UI just didn't seem to be my style. And Live Lite doesn't let you multitrack and the upgrade is $300+, where Reaper is $40 and I like its UI pretty well.
    -Steven