Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What shouldn't you buy second hand?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What shouldn't you buy second hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Hey, gum and dumb rhyme! With drum. Of course.
    Hey why'd you get that dumb gum on my drum?! Imma hit you with a plum you stinkin' bum!

User Info Menu

How come some dumb bum put gum plum on your drum..? Hum... A rum one. Numbs the thumb when removing.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

I haven't bought any used gear yet, but when I do, I'll either go to a local music store (where I can inspect what I'm thinking of buying), or, if I do shop online which I usually don't, go to a site I know is reputable (like Amazon) and look for items in "like new" condition (or "very good" if there's not much choice). I'll also go with a seller with the highest percentage rating, as well as read the seller's description, and comments about the seller from others who've bought items from them (if there are any).

User Info Menu

I'm a huge fan of buying used gear, and I've gotten some really neat used things over the last several years:

Sabian 20" AA El Sabor Ride
    Sabian 20" AA Rock Ride (made in the early days of Sabian)
    Ludwig Acrolite - only paid $30. I refinished it and it's my go-to snare drum
    Pearl Steve Ferrone Signature snare drum - only paid something like $180 for it. Sold it for what I paid.
    Yamaha HH Stand - not sure which model - paid like $25 or something silly like that, and I have it as a spare.
    Various cymbal stands.

Other, non-drum related stuff:
    S&W Model 27. Paid $450. Currently worth about $700.
    Ruger 10/22 Deluxe - paid $180 and they typically sell in the mid $200s.
    Schilke B6 trumpet - paid $1200. Current new price is about $2600, and mine looked virtually brand new.

I just think that as long as an item is in good shape, there is no reason to not buy used - after all, even if you buy something brand new, as soon as you use it once, it's "used" - why not get a great deal on something simply because it can't sell for "new" anymore?

User Info Menu

Never buy used drumsticks, heads or thrones. I'd say not to buy used thrones because you don't know what they've been through, or if the previous owner was, well, large.

User Info Menu

I had a friend buy a floor display kick pedal from GC. Got it home and noticed the beater rod was bent from it being connected to the steel display rack and people stomping on it so much. That display frame was too sturdy and if you pay attention you usually don't see a throne near it so people just walk up and start stomping.

Oh and you guys forgot ear plugs, don't buy used sticks, heads, gum, toilet paper, drum shoes, sweat towels,,,,,, or ear plugs! Lol Ewwww that's just nasty thinking about it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator42009 View Post
    Hey why'd you get that dumb gum on my drum?! Imma hit you with a plum you stinkin' bum!
    What? Some ones dumb gum got on my drum?? I'm going to slap my thumb across your bum and make you make me some buns with some cows lungs on a big slab of chungs premium organic bumblebeef.

Anyways...

I go by this advice: don't get anything used that obviously shouldn't be used used.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Used vocal mics.....

Written by Trent Moorman

"Microphones are breeding grounds for germs. Rappers and singers sing and yell. Mouths and throats are opened. Saliva is sprayed and spread. Spit flies—right onto the mic. And there it festers. There it meets spit from the eight people who were on the mic before you. During your set, you unknowingly touch your very own mouth to that mic."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Used vocal mics.....

Written by Trent Moorman

"Microphones are breeding grounds for germs. Rappers and singers sing and yell. Mouths and throats are opened. Saliva is sprayed and spread. Spit flies—right onto the mic. And there it festers. There it meets spit from the eight people who were on the mic before you. During your set, you unknowingly touch your very own mouth to that mic."
    Tonsil meat and lung butter!?! No thanks, I just ate.

User Info Menu

Consumables (heads, sticks, snare wires, muffling crap...) are always a bad idea to buy second hand. You wouldn't buy used oil, gasoline or transmission fluid for your car either, so it makes sense.

As for other things not to buy: gear you know has a history of abuse, or used gear that you can see was abused. It's pretty easy to spot.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    As for other things not to buy: gear you know has a history of abuse, or used gear that you can see was abused. It's pretty easy to spot.
    This is why I don't like to buy stuff from the showroom floor of my local big box music store.

On a side note: They have a 2oo2 Ride in the cymbal room with green on it. I'm not so sure 2oo2s are supposed to develope a patina.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    This is why I don't like to buy stuff from the showroom floor of my local big box music store.

On a side note: They have a 2oo2 Ride in the cymbal room with green on it. I'm not so sure 2oo2s are supposed to develope a patina.
    If they are cleaned with the wrong cymbal cleaner, which some big box employees would not know any better of, then the protective coating will be removed and the cymbal can prematurely age much faster than it was intended to. Plus, I've count a few water leaks in one of my music stores cymbal rooms. So take a cymbal with no protective finish anymore, add water..
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Try this - go back to that store, close your eyes and play that cymbal. If you can hear the green/patina, don't buy it. If you can't, ask if they'll cut you a deal on it because it's no longer "new."

It doesn't matter what it looks like - only what it SOUNDS like.
    Last edited by trickg; 08-03-2011 at 09:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    Try this - go back to that store, close your eyes and play that cymbal. If you can hear the green/patina, don't buy it. If you can't, ask if they'll cut you a deal on it because it's no longer "new."

It doesn't matter what it looks like - only what it SOUNDS like.
    SOUNDS like? I buy cymbals for drum jewelry, not for sound.

User Info Menu

Are there any tell tale signs on pedals that they are in poor condition?
    I'm sort of hesitant to buy used pedals anyways. I would just like to know if there are minor things, excluding obvious ones like missing vital parts, dents, or such.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

For pedals, one big thing is beaters. Are the beaters in good condition? Or are they a type that you do not like, on a double pedal that is a 45 + dollar expense to replace. The riskiest part is the footboard. Though not too common outside of DW pedals, a broken footboard pretty much equals a new pedal, unless you buy another one to replace it with. Other than those, make sure to look at the pedal to see how well it was maintained. You don't want pitting on any chrome parts, you don't want squeaks or other unnecessary noises, and you don't want to see signs of abuse.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar