Thread: How do you practice rudiments?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Smile How do you practice rudiments?

I just got a Super-Mini Taktell metronome so I have just started practicing rudiments again. I came up with a routine:

Double strokes
    Double strokes accenting the '1 and - 3 and'
    Double strokes accenting '2 and - 4 and'
    Paradiddles
    Ratamacues and ruffs
    Flamcues
    5, 7, and 9 stroke rolls
    Triplets
    Sixteenth note triplets
    Swiss army triplets and those other things...you know, rRRL rRRL rRRL
    All of these backwards (Some of these I just can't do at all!).

So, what about you? Hopefully I can keep this up. My chops are nearly gone, so I need to start these rudiments again!

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do you practice rudiments?

I just practice each of them straight through, then leading with my left or opposite of what it's written as. I also play Morello's "Stone Killer" everyday. Then when I'm at the set I sometimes see what I can do with them. Pretty straightfoward, but it works

Larrysperf Guest

On a pillow Makes my wrists stronger

User Info Menu

Larry, I've been doing that. Really makes them that much harder, but I can feel the benefit.

I'll have to check out "Stone Killer."

User Info Menu

Make sure not to over-expose yourself to pillow playing, why become a master at rudiments on pillows if your gonna be hitting drums?

And yeah go check it out, its in the book "Master Studies" which I highly recommend.

User Info Menu

I usually get frustrated with my teachers not speaking English and go through whatever rudiments pop into my head on the desk. The more frustrated I get, the louder and faster I get. If I'm real agitated, I'll cross my arms and work on the feet.

Not real structured or anything, but I've gotten better at a few. I should keep a couple pages of rudiments in my notebook to remind myself of new ones. It would be more useful than the phonetic translation sheets I create for my classes...
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I agree about the pillow thing. It's all about moderation.

Quik, I naturally bang around on desks and what not. It's a stress reliever and it is beneficial.

User Info Menu

I practice one new rudiment daily on a book covered with a folded towel. In between commercials throughout the day it really helps me get familiar with it and by the time I go to sleep, i'm that much better.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I practice one new rudiment daily on a book covered with a folded towel. In between commercials throughout the day it really helps me get familiar with it and by the time I go to sleep, i'm that much better.
    I wish I could play the same thing over and over again for a while, i get bored to death if I have to concentrate for extended periods of time. I don't mind something like singles or doubles where i can blank off and think about other things and watch some TV, but for something more difficult I have to think about what I'm playing to get it with the click.

I pretty much just play through them all individually every morning, starting with both hands for a little bit. Adds up to about an hour and a half or more.