Thread: What to look for in a good drum instructor?

User Info Menu

Default What to look for in a good drum instructor?

Hi I really need to know what to look for in a good instructor and some of the warning signs of a bad one. I'm a beginning drummer but an adult in age so I can size a person up pretty quick, so what should I look for? I'm really leaning towards one that has a good foundation in jazz drumming because that's the style all the old time guys like Mitch Mitchell and Ginger Baker and most all other rock greats were schooled in..I think learning jazz style drumming would be a good idea because of the odd time beats and virtuosity of the style which can be transitioned and used in rock drumming to really get a full colorful sound out of the kit, is my thinking correct on this? Any input will be helpful and who are some of the better guys on drumchat to run questions like this by and check their posts or websites. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What to look for in a good drum instructor?

As someone still learning myself, the thing I would do is just call them and talk to them and let them know of your interests. I think you could get a good impression of who your dealing with just doing that.

I'd also hit up my local drum shop and ask who they may recomend. Explore Craigslist, the newspaper and the internet to find some. Some folks ustilise on line lessons also.

I think you should be able to build a good repor pretty quick. If not, I'd go on down the road to the next one.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Patient with you, shows you tips and tricks to remember certain concepts quicker, on time, easy to get along and work with, and not too expensive would be a few things i'd look for. If you can't find them though, there are books out there to teach yourself from on your own time, and for less money than instruction costs.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

FHS, I would say that a good teacher will be someone that wants to know what your goals are for your instruction, first and foremost. If they aren't willing to discuss the directions of the lessons with you, then I would move to the next candidate. Secondly, they should have a plan for your lessons, and not just wing it (yes, I had an instructor like that. Emphasis on the word "had.")

Drummer would be an excellent resource as he is a drum teacher, as is Drumbledore. I know we have a few more, but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I agree with PB in that you want somebody that has your specific interests in mind, not just teaching everybody the same way. A lot of other good answers here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FIDDLEHEADSTEW View Post
    Hi I really need to know what to look for in a good instructor and some of the warning signs of a bad one. I'm a beginning drummer but an adult in age so I can size a person up pretty quick, so what should I look for? I'm really leaning towards one that has a good foundation in jazz drumming because that's the style all the old time guys like Mitch Mitchell and Ginger Baker and most all other rock greats were schooled in..I think learning jazz style drumming would be a good idea because of the odd time beats and virtuosity of the style which can be transitioned and used in rock drumming to really get a full colorful sound out of the kit, is my thinking correct on this? Any input will be helpful and who are some of the better guys on drumchat to run questions like this by and check their posts or websites. Thanks.
    First of all where's your location, I'll teach ya! Seriously, you probably want someone who:

1) Can read and write music fluently. (Music is a language)
    2)Knows different styles of music and will teach those styles.
    3)Someone who just won't go over exercises with you but will work on increasing your speed with reading.
    4) Someone who will play another instrument while you learn or play a CD of some sort of backing track (Which is a big help).
    5) A teacher that's out there playing and networking and has that experience is a big plus.
    6) Find someone who does it for the love of teaching and not neccessarily for the $$$$.
    7)Very important to get someone who isn't concerned about the time. If the lesson goes over, it goes over. I knew one teacher who gave half hour lessons and after 25 minutes...lesson done. Nice.

8)Don't get charged a lot! My teacher charges $50 an hour and he's worth every penny. Dom Famularo I believe charges $90 an hour and he's awesome too. If I taught privately I wouldn't charge $50 an hour do to my lack of experience but I wouldn't short change myself either. Half hour lessons would be cheaper but remember, we adult students need at least a hour!

I think that's enough of my teacher lecture for now. I've been teaching a little over a year. I have 9 year olds and up to adults.

User Info Menu

With young kids I'll do half an hour to an hour, it depends on their ability to concentrate. Two of my young 'uns are only 7, so they're going to a little different than some of the slightly older ones. Then again one kid, Thomas, who's now twelve, I've been teaching for five years and even back then his dad (who plays bass) and I both knew he was gifted, and he easily could take in an hour's instruction. But as far as older teens and upwards, I do one hour lessons. In fact, one of my real bright sparks, Tamara, does a 2 hour lesson with me (with a lil' break in between). Of course, the music's going constantly in the background ;-)

What Geo Rose wrote I pretty much do and agree with. Plus I go and iron out the problems in your posture and wrists and fingers if it's required. Percussion is also a speciality that I teach if and when a student feels they're ready for it.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I just want to mention that everyone should try to study all styles of music not just Jazz.I think most teachers fall into this category or should anyway.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

why do older students need more time? i dont understand

User Info Menu

Also I'm not just interested in jazz the reason I mentioned it is because all of the old rock greats were jazz trained, big band or swing influenced or trained. I don't want to pigeon hole myself at all with one style..the idea is to have it come straight from the heart and to quote Jimi Hendrix and have "feelin sweet feelin..drop from my fingers.."

User Info Menu

and how can i make any of my posts more visible on this site..is sticky the proper term? And what does that do?