Thread: Evans Onyx

User Info Menu

Default Evans Onyx

Put one of these on my snare and it doesn't sound too bad, but it feels odd. Have any of you used them? They seem to have barely any bounce!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans Onyx

I have one on a couple of my snares, I love it. I won't be putting it on the Steve Jordan again, but my vented Pork Pie it's perfect. Maybe I've just gotten used to it, I'll have to run out and get a G2 tomorrow and find out.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Yep I have one on my steel snare. I love it and it was very easy to tune. I am not so sure it would sound great on a warmer or wood snare. I also have an onyx bass drumhead and I love it as well but no onyx on my toms I don't think I would like that sound.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

I used the onyx on my toms, and I loved the sound. It's dark and resonant, but the sustain was just perfect IMO. Definitely would use again.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

Yeah, I really like it, too. But, do any of you think it has a different feel?

User Info Menu

I agree that it didn't have quite as much bounce as a usual coated head. It was different, but it wasn't anything that was so bad that you can't adjust.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's not bad, and as it's breaking in it feels better. Plus, I don't think I've ever used a 2-ply head. I think it might be my go to head from now on, but I plan to try a G2.

User Info Menu

Part of the feel issue is the fact that it is a 2-ply head. This would give it less response and sensitivity as say a coated g1 or ambassador. Rare possibility, but if you are convinced it feels way off you could have a dud head. They do exist, albeit though quite rare. Make sure that the head is seated evenly around the bearing edge, and that the head makes contact completely around the edge. Other than that, I'm not sure why it has such a different feel for you.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

I've honestly only used single ply heads before, and thin ones at that. So, it's probably just that.