Thread: 2nd ride cymbal suggestions

User Info Menu

Default 2nd ride cymbal suggestions

So I was thinking of getting a second ride cymbal rather than a second crash cymbal. Does anyone else play with two rides rather than two crashes? I currently have a Sabian B8pro 16 inch crash and AA high hats and ride on a Catalina Birch kit. I really like the sound of my ride but sometimes I feel it is a bit too washy but it is great to sometimes use as an accent rather using my crash. So anyway I was looking to get a ride that is maybe a bit dryer to contrast. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Default Re: 2nd ride cymbal suggestions

Whats your style and budget?

User Info Menu

I play funk/rock bluesy stuff. Budget is about $150 but I am willing to over that if something is definetly worth it. Looking to buy used.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Pelican, I use two rides. 19" Dream Vintage Bliss on the right and 20" Dream Bliss on the left. I like have a realllllllllyyyy washy ride on the left side but more pingy on the right. Depending on the weight and sound of your main ride, I'd go off that. Do you want more ping? Washier? Anyways, I love to do this, although sometimes it can get loud (so learn to control how hard you hit! haha).

User Info Menu

I'd say look Meinl, first and foremost. Their stuff is incredible, and they have a lot more cymbal lines than your run of the mill Sabian or Zildjian. Meinl is expensive though, so you'd probably find their used cymbals at or around $200, but if it's a sound you like, it's yours to get.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Sabian Omni? You could get an 18'' version or 22'' version. Both are crashable, rideable, and offer strong bells. Interesting cymbals that may be perfect for what you are looking for, but they aren't as dry as say a jazz ride. Personally I'd look into either the Omni, or a crash-ride type cymbal. But to each his own.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

I had two rides on my kit as well for some time. I wound up just using one most the time and wound up selling the other.

Thats just me, and it's something to think about before you lay down the cash on a second new or used ride.

Don't get me wrong, everyones different and no kits are exactly the same. It was just my experience that It wasn't something I used very often. I'd rather have another cymbal in it' place I could use more often thats alittle more versatile.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

What kind of sound? Wash vs ping? Bright vs dark? Dry vs open attack?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice so far.
    Hmm I don't think I have ever heard anyone play the omnis but I did see them at the local music shop not long ago. Maybe I will go try them out and see what I think of them.
    As for sound I would like to get a darker dry ride to contrast my ride I have now which is bit brighter not too bright and a little washy. I really like the sound of Stanton Moore's cymbals but Bosphorous is little out of league at the moment. I also like the set up JJ Johnson's kit when playing with John Mayer on Where the Light Is which is what gave me the idea for the two rides. He actually plays with 3 rides and 2 crashes together for his high hats.
    He has a very cool and unique cymbal sound.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy0T1YCU6-w"]‪John Mayer - Waiting On The World To Change *HD*‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by pelicandrum; 08-01-2011 at 05:31 PM.

User Info Menu

You could always get a big crash (18 or 20") that can double as a washy ride and then just use a rock ride or something to get the pingy ride sound. It doesn't need to be a "ride" cymbal for it to have good riding qualities.