Thread: Broken Hi-Hat

User Info Menu

Question Broken Hi-Hat

Hey guys! I am new to this forum but I have been playing the drumset for five years, on and off. Now, I had my hi-hat stored up in the attic for a while and I just brought it down. The hi-hat pedal just stays on the ground, and not in the air. The rod that holds the pedal up is way too low on the bottom than it should be. So, I cannot use the pedal to clap the hi-hat when I am playing. (Yes, I have connected the pedal thingy to the rod at the bottom).

I found a spring though and I am not sure whether it is for the hi-hat or not. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat! Not sure what could be causing the problem without seeing it. Can you post a picture?

User Info Menu

Here are some pictures:

As you see, the rod is too low and won't hold up the pedal.

User Info Menu

Here is a picture of it.

As you can see, the rod is too low so I can't clap the hi-hats above.

User Info Menu

Without a picture it's hard to tell, but I think the spring you're talking about goes to the piece that holds your bottom hat. It controls the height of the bottom hat without adjusting the top. I don't know what kind of hat stand you have, but you should really study the stand itself because they have alot of tricky unkown little knobs and twisties that can solve you're problems. Hope it helps bro.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Hey guys! Sorry for the late picture but the forum wouldn't let me post a reply. Well anyway, here is a picture of my hi-hat and the problem.

User Info Menu

Without being able to inspect your stand it is hard to say, but I know with mine that the rod isn't a single rod all the way through, it is in two halfs which screw into each other within the stand itself - if the top is not connected to the bottom mine does the same things as yours - that may be your problem.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

CMWP, I was going to say the same thing about the rod possibly coming in two pieces and not being screwed together. I have a PDP 900 hi-hat and that is exactly the configuration. The rod has to be screwed together, or the pedal will drop right to the floor. Worth taking a look at, NBT. Let us know. Sometimes you just start eliminating possibilities until the problem appears.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

There should be two washers and a spring. They work together inside the shaft to pull the stand back up. Thats pretty much all i can describe. I had that problem with someones kit once..... Generally, if it fell apart. Get a new stand.....
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters