Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: double beater or 2 bass drums

User Info Menu

Default double beater or 2 bass drums

im relatively new to this site and this is my first thread...but im definately gonna get some kind of double bass function i just dont know if i shud get another bass drum or a double beater...whats your preference?
    Top 10 Reasons to Date a Drummer:
    1. Our coordination is incredible.
    2. We can keep any tempo you want.
    3. No matter what speed we go, we can make it good.
    4. No matter how tired we are, we always finish the job.
    5. We can follow the lead, or take it.
    6. We love to bang.
    7. No objections to performing in front of an audience.
    8. We know how to handle our sticks.
    9. We know the best spots to hit.
    10. By the time we’re done, you’ll be cheering for more.

User Info Menu

I have a double pedal and I love it. Especially if you're going to be playing out a lot it seems like two bass drums would be a lot... unless you have roadies. So I would prefer a double pedal to two bass drums, although it would look pretty cool to have two!

User Info Menu

yeah i have a double bass drum pedal and you can do everything that you can do with 2 bass drums with it (unless you have a double bass drum pedal for both drums then your just insane) but 2 bass drums would be cool even though it would take up a lot of space and be hard to take around
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

Cool Double Beater or 2 Bass Drums

Don't know how long you've been playin', but for me, I'd buy a double beater. It takes up less space and it's less expensive. If you've got the space and the money, however, you might move up to a double-bass setup down the road.

Whichever way you go, be ready for some major foot workouts!

User Info Menu

If you are going to be playing out, I would go with the double pedal. I like the double bass setup, but for practical use, unless you know you are always going to have to space when you play out, then you would know what to do.

And like said earlier, less expensive. I fat sounding bass drum, would out do two crappy ones any day. Just my .02.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

I don't have either, and double bass drum pedals seem so expensive that the money that you spend on one, you could of just used to buy a whole new bass drum.

User Info Menu

Definitely double bass pedal for me.

User Info Menu

Double Pedal for me as i always think theres the down side to playing with two basses for example it can sometimes be pretty tight for space playing in a pub and two may not fit.

User Info Menu

Double bass pedal all the way!!!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Default Re: double beater or 2 bass drums

Definitely a double pedal. I went from a 6 piece with 2 kick drums, to a 5 piece with 1 kick drum. Less to lug from gig to gig, and the sound tech will like your more! Lol.
    Here are my DW 9000 double pedals. They don't make a 9000 left handed model, so being a welder/machinist by trade, I bought the right handed model and converted it to a left handed model.
    This is one smooth pedal!
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KKustoms View Post
    Definitely a double pedal. I went from a 6 piece with 2 kick drums, to a 5 piece with 1 kick drum. Less to lug from gig to gig, and the sound tech will like your more! Lol.
    Here are my DW 9000 double pedals. They don't make a 9000 left handed model, so being a welder/machinist by trade, I bought the right handed model and converted it to a left handed model.
    This is one smooth pedal!
    From the DW website:

"The flagship of the DW pedal line-up, 9000 pedals feature patented innovations such as a free-floating rotor-drive system, rotating swivel spring and infinitely adjustable cam allowing a more direct transfer of energy that optimizes the stroke for more power and precision.

The Speed and Fluidity of both the 9000 and 9002 are due to a multi-bearing system that reduces friction and improves feel. (U.S. Patent No. 6590147B2)

The 9002 is also available in a left-handed configuration."

MisterMixelpix Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lhebs0 View Post
    I don't have either, and double bass drum pedals seem so expensive that the money that you spend on one, you could of just used to buy a whole new bass drum.
    You can get a great double pedal for less than $200. If you want two SINGLE pedals of the same quality you'll spend about the same.

I'd say it comes down to space and budget. If you have room and extra money, go for two drums. For me, I don't have the space and I was on a budget, so double pedal and a single drum for me.

User Info Menu

I have both, and I agree with most of the post on here. It's so easier to bring a double pedal then to lug in two Kicks and cases etc... Also space is always a issue, unless your playing big rooms, then you want a roadie to set the set up!
    I love the feel of two bass drums, but I also love the the easy setup of a dp. As far as sound and effect?, I use two different beaters on my dp, to get two distinctive sounds, one felt and one hard rubber.
    Dave

MisterMixelpix Guest

You could always pull a Derek Roddy and do both. Have a DP for one kick drum and then a second kick that's tuned differently for accents.

User Info Menu

I vote double pedal. It's cheaper for one, smaller for two and gives you the same result. Doesn't look as cool though...
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Two Axis Longboards, and 2 kick drums. Then you could get the kit from Axis that turns the two pedals into a double pedal, so when you're playing a gig you don't need to bring two kick drums.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I use both. Two bass drums with single pedals for big shows or one bass drum and a double pedal for small shows. It's all about space and convenience.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

after playing two bass drums for the last 16 years and now playing on a double pedal, there is no question that i really like the feel of two bass drums
    you get a lot of reverberation, and a muffling effect from the second beater on the head. you also get to mount your toms in the center of the bass drums as opposed to the side. just my .02
    Last edited by chafey; 01-15-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: hooked on phonics didnt work for me!

User Info Menu

I've been using double pedal for 15 odd years now but i've always wanted double kick drums..So another 3 months to wait and my second kick will arrive,There is only 1 venue i gig once a month where i can use 2 kick drums but i don't mind the hassle of setting it up..the down side is getting the tuning between the 2 kicks exact or as close as possible..Some pro's have 2 kicks but use a double pedal on 1 and the other Kick is for show....But as earlier posts suggest it's a matter of choice
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

User Info Menu

2 kicks for sure. i hate how single bass setups make me lean off to the left but with two kicks i'm centered, and if i wasn't i wouldn't be able to reach and play everything. it's just a symmetry issue for me. i just love being a middleman!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

for me i choose 2 bass drum with different size
    double pedal had been misleading
    although many rock drummers use them quite effectively
    fast bass drum beats in rock and metal don't mean much
    it is the beat based 2 different bass drum sound
    like those hip hop drumming that is attractive to me
    i once saw on pearl drum homepage
    that a new pearl artist commented
    he could not get his two bass drum to sound the same
    and gave up the idea of having 2 bass drums
    he just don't know much about bass drum
    they are not designed to sound the same
    if i want fast bass drum beats that sound the same throughout
    i can do it with only my right foot on only a single bass drum pedal

User Info Menu

sorry skipped all the other posts

double kick pedal for me

then maybe buy a kit that comes with a second kick drum

MisterMixelpix Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eddytanhh View Post
    if i want fast bass drum beats that sound the same throughout
    i can do it with only my right foot on only a single bass drum pedal
    I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't play very much heavy metal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMixelpix View Post
    I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't play very much heavy metal.
    Hey, George Kollias can go bloody fast with one foot... Well I mean he can go faster with one foot than I can with two haha
    - Zack

MisterMixelpix Guest

Haha, oh sure Kollias and Roddy are pretty dang fast with one foot, but even they wouldn't be able to handle too much overall without the second pedal.

Really, the only guy I'm aware of is Niko from Iron Maiden, but then his style was geared around only one pedal, he wasn't exactly doing double-pedal type work.