Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can cheaper shells wear out?

User Info Menu

Default Can cheaper shells wear out?

I've got a Tama Imperialstar and when I got it it was practically new..when I first got it it sounded great..now..its awful..I looked up how to tune drums but still it sounds like crap..I've replaced the batter heads and the resonant heads on all the drums. Now I've played the kit but I never beat on it. Where am I going wrong?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can cheaper shells wear out?

Probably just needs a bit more time and patience to be taken when tuning. Can take months and $$$'s to establish what works for you.

User Info Menu

Its a tuning issue.
    To help us please explain what you mean by crap? And what tuning method did you use?

User Info Menu

It's most likely a tuning issue, or the fact that the new heads you put on are of a different construction than your old ones.

There are several variables here. Can you explain the actual difference in sound?
    Pearl Export Pro - Wine Red
    Gretsch Catalina Maple - Amber

Evans G2, Genera Dry, EMAD

Paiste -
    14" Sound Edge Hats
    20" Signature Series Dark Dry Ride
    16" Signature Series Full Crash
    16" Signature Series Power Crash
    18" Signature Series Power Crash
    18" Signature Series China
    10" Sound Formula Splash

Vic Firth SD4 Combo and Pete Erskine Signature sticks

User Info Menu

It's a tuning issue. I saw a guy several times over a long period of time that had a set of US Mercury drums, and that set, 1) he took care of, 2) they sounded as good as any other set I've heard, 3) they were his playing gigs set and they were moved all the time.

Just because it's a inexpensive set doesn't mean it's going to fall apart in 2 years or even 20. If you take care of them, they will last a lot longer than you think.

User Info Menu

the tuning method i used on the toms was just get the batter to where i wanted it then tuned the reso in sympathy..but its not like their holding their pitch...the 16x16 floor is the worst..is has a BWWOOOMMMB sound to it..and the overtones are causing the snares to buzz and the toms to hum..its driving me nuts.

User Info Menu

and the difference in sound is when i first got the kit..the sound was so nice..tight..no overtones.

User Info Menu

Thats all tuning.
    Im gonna get screamed at for this but, I would suggest a DrumDial. Its a great tool to help you learn what a properly tuned drum sounds like. Use it to train your ears and teach you how to tune by ear.

User Info Menu

DrumDial is an excellent suggestion. It will allow you to actually hear what the tuning threshold is in numbers. Once your ears and your fingers feel the tension it takes to dial in a decent tune, you'll no longer use the dial and tune totally by ear.

User Info Menu

When you take the heads off, make sure all the lugs are properly tightened to the shell. Clean out the lugs where the tension rods go (there are a variety of ways to do that). Make sure no tension rods are stripped, and check the hoops.

Get a drum dial. Can't hurt.

User Info Menu

Also, as a last resort, you can always try some moongels. I would recommend to keep persevering and tuning. I know it can get frustrating. Trust me I've done my time.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

I've read and heard both bad and good about drum dials, what about a digital type device, they seem to be ok.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FIDDLEHEADSTEW View Post
    I've read and heard both bad and good about drum dials, what about a digital type device, they seem to be ok.

There is no device out there that is going to tune your drums for you.

Do like every other drummer has, which is, learn to tune your drums.

You do some tuning and leave it for 10-15 minutes, then come back and do a little more. If you sit there for hours, you don't hear them the same way as when you started. You will learn how to tune, most drummers do.

User Info Menu

I've never heard of shells wearing out. It sounds like a definite tuning issue. What heads and resonants are you using?

User Info Menu

when you buy your set you say it was sounding beautiful
    now you change your batter and reso
    did you buy the same kind of skin ? like hazy 300 on reso and g2 batter
    different skin different sound
    did you over tight at first to strech the skin (old methode ) if you do you can broke the skin
    now you retight for 2 days and they are set (because they strech )

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

ditto on all said. i spent 3 months every night learning how to tune. it was frustrating and expensive, 2 different sets of heads! once you learn to tune, the drum world opens up wide.

User Info Menu

Drum Dial. It's a great tool esp if you plan on playing (or already play) live.

It makes tune up quick and simple. It make no difference if it is digital or not... although I did see an ad for the digital version in the latest MD.

Does it make you tune better? Possibly. Does it make you tune faster and more consistently? Absolutely.

I tuned without it for 15 years. I've used it for almost 5. I have no regrets adding this to my gear.

Oh... and then throw on some Moongels. See what level of dampening you like.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ward View Post
    I've never heard of shells wearing out. It sounds like a definite tuning issue. What heads and resonants are you using?
    Older drum shells may develop worn out bearing edges if the heads have been on for an extended period of time. Lint and dust can settle in between the bearing edges and where the drum head is seated and the edges can become uneven or pitted. Typically, lint and dirt particles lodge in between the bottom reso and the bottom bearing edge.

User Info Menu

What heads did you buy?
    How are you tuning the heads with respect to each other? Both even, top tighter than bottom, bottom tighter than top? (Manufacturer, shell type and edges will dictate this. Yours should be even on both sides.)
    Did you go back and make sure each lug was even on each head?
    Did you go back and check each lug on the first head after you put the second head on it, and checked at each of its lugs?
    Did you re-check each lug after you mount the drum how it will be played?

As for the drum dial... save your money. Just use your ears. They're free and all the other tuning tools eventually rely on them in the process anyways.

Do all your reso heads first with the batter side sitting on a rug. Flip them over and do the batter sides. I like to start with the lowest drum. After you do each batter head, check to make sure it's in tune with the reso head or it won't do any good to move on the the next tom.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Here is what I would do:

1. Remove all batter heads and reso heads.
    2. Get a cloth and wipe down your bearing edges, this will remove any dust or debris that could be on your edge and possibly interfering with your tuning. Run your finger on the bearing edge to make sure it is smooth.
    3. Get some WD-40 and spray a little bit inside each lug.
    4. Tune your batter heads up first, making sure to tune in a cross-lug way. This will ensure EVEN tension around the head. If the tension is not even on the drum head, you will have much more difficulty tuning. Tune the batter to the desired FEEL you want as a starting point.
    5. Tune the reso head to match the batter in pitch at first. Use the same cross tuning method to achieve equal tension.
    6. From here, play the drum. Listen and hear the qualities of the sound that you do like, or don't like. Does the drum sound dead? Then you probably have the reso tuned too low. Does the drum have a pitch bend, either downward or upward? If so the drum heads are not tuned identically(note this is not a bad thing, as many drummers prefer this sound).
    7. From here, fine tune. Make very small adjustments, I'm talking 1\16 turns here. A little turn goes a long way here - trust me.

And last, have some fun with it and learn from mistakes. Once you learn your drums, you will have a much easier time tuning, a faster time tuning, and get the best sounding drums possible.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpenguin45 View Post
    Here is what I would do:

1. Remove all batter heads and reso heads.
    2. Get a cloth and wipe down your bearing edges, this will remove any dust or debris that could be on your edge and possibly interfering with your tuning. Run your finger on the bearing edge to make sure it is smooth.
    3. Get some WD-40 and spray a little bit inside each lug.
    4. Tune your batter heads up first, making sure to tune in a cross-lug way. This will ensure EVEN tension around the head. If the tension is not even on the drum head, you will have much more difficulty tuning. Tune the batter to the desired FEEL you want as a starting point.
    5. Tune the reso head to match the batter in pitch at first. Use the same cross tuning method to achieve equal tension.
    6. From here, play the drum. Listen and hear the qualities of the sound that you do like, or don't like. Does the drum sound dead? Then you probably have the reso tuned too low. Does the drum have a pitch bend, either downward or upward? If so the drum heads are not tuned identically(note this is not a bad thing, as many drummers prefer this sound).
    7. From here, fine tune. Make very small adjustments, I'm talking 1\16 turns here. A little turn goes a long way here - trust me.

And last, have some fun with it and learn from mistakes. Once you learn your drums, you will have a much easier time tuning, a faster time tuning, and get the best sounding drums possible.

I agree with everything you said except using WD-40, it smells and it can stain a drum if you get it on the shell.

I clean the lugs with what looks like a old mascara brush I found at a hardware store, then a dab of vaseline on the tension rods.

User Info Menu

Imperialstars are nice drums and should last forever with a little care. Take time and suggestions mentioned here and keep plugging away at your tuning.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Can cheaper shells wear out?

One thing -- well, four things! -- I learned early on when tuning a drum kit were these:

1) Tune each lug 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time after getting alll the wrinkles or sags out of the drum head.

2) Tune evenly all the way around the drum.

3) Tap with a drumstick about an inch in from the lug and listen to the sound. With practice, you will be able to hear the slight differences in pitch from one part of the drumhead to the other.

4) If you are really nit-picky about the sound, you can do as my drum teacher did (and still does!) ... take a ruler and make sure the number of screws are even (if you see four ridges, make sure there are four ridges all the way around the rim). This also reduces the tendency to overtune on one side or the other, which puts stress on one side of the drum shell itself.

(One-sided stress CAN mess up the bearing edges faster than you think.)

Hope this helps...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

The digital device I mentioned before was one to get the pitch the one would want whether personal preference or to be in tune for a certain song..whatever..drums cant just be tuned to whatever they have to be tuned to a certain pitch for certain songs yes? C sharp etc. Doesnt it state on drum notation that the kit would have to be tuned to the proper pitch? What if you wanted to play purple haze or a john bonham lick for example but were not in the same pitch as it was played..you may be in time and hit the right notes and not be in pitch so it wouldnt sound right..I know nothing of drum notation but it seems like that would be the thing to do..logically.