Thread: Drum head maintenence?

User Info Menu

Default Drum head maintenence?

Is there any other way to maintain drum heads besides not bashing on them and playing and placing them properly? Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum head maintenence?

Batter heads wear out after hitting them for a while:beating the stretched surface, 1 or 2 ply, causes over-all fatigue and then heads need to be replaced. Reso's spend their time vibrating a lot and that causes them fatigue too but doesn't occur as soon as happens to the batters.
    So every yr. or so replace the batters, maybe every 2 yrs., the resos. Snare batters are the exception-they're the batters that take the most punishment and are usually the tightest and thinnest on the kit. They can wear out faster than tom heads.
    Don't drop pointy objects on them! Don't use broken sticks. Don't remove the batter heads and re-mount them for no good reason. Don't tighten the batters to the point of stripping the tension rods or warping the drum shell!
    Wipe with, clean, dry cloth, if dusty...
    That's about all I can think of.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

What else can you add to this??? Well stated!

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Batter heads wear out after hitting them for a while:beating the stretched surface, 1 or 2 ply, causes over-all fatigue and then heads need to be replaced. Reso's spend their time vibrating a lot and that causes them fatigue too but doesn't occur as soon as happens to the batters.
    So every yr. or so replace the batters, maybe every 2 yrs., the resos. Snare batters are the exception-they're the batters that take the most punishment and are usually the tightest and thinnest on the kit. They can wear out faster than tom heads.
    Don't drop pointy objects on them! Don't use broken sticks. Don't remove the batter heads and re-mount them for no good reason. Don't tighten the batters to the point of stripping the tension rods or warping the drum shell!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

For your kick drum you might want to consider an impact pad to extend its life.

With regards resos, I was reading on the Aquarian website that they recommend replaceing the reso every fourth time you replace the batter. But then they do have a vested interest in people buying more heads!
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Sound advice Slingerland. Couldn't put it better (or batter? lol) myself.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Drum head maintenence?

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post

With regards resos, I was reading on the Aquarian website that they recommend replaceing the reso every fourth time you replace the batter. But then they do have a vested interest in people buying more heads!
    I agree with you on the manufacturer recommending to change the reso. I don't or ever change the reso. I have a nice Aquarian graphic reso head and there is no way I will change it. My batter is an original PS3 that came with the kit 5 years ago and still works fine. So changing heads is only if needed or your preference. If you play everyday in a band like I mean say 2 hours a night 5 days a week then I can see replacing heads every couple of months or so but if you are like me just a hobby and I play 4 hours a week so it is a waste of money changing heads. That's just me.

User Info Menu

i play like 5-6 hour a week and i change it maybe after a year
    or if i don't like it , i change it right away
    now i have evans sst clear on batter of my toms and i love it
    for reso i have aquarian clear

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post

Impact pads most defnitely extend the life of your batter bass head. I reccomend it. Great advice from Slinglander. Thanks!
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

Larrysperf Guest

Or do like Bish and your heads never wear out as he dont have kits long enough lol sorry just some bish humour. But I change out resos every 4th batter change

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Or do like Bish and your heads never wear out as he dont have kits long enough lol sorry just some bish humour. But I change out resos every 4th batter change
    You are not that far off. If I change heads it's usually from clear to coated or vice-versa just to experience the difference in sound.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    great advise...I add...keep them out of direct sunlight or even indiect sun light since it breaks down the plastic & sun bleaches the drum finishes. Store drums in cases when not in use or covered w/ a cloth to keep sun light & dust etc from them. Store drums in a room temp environment...not in garages or out doors in a parked equipment van / truck since cold & humidity can cause oxidation pits in chrome & warp shells.