Thread: What to use to clean the brass

User Info Menu

Default What to use to clean the brass

Since their is no more Brasso thats worth a ****
    What does everyone use to keep em clean?
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 08-02-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Family friendly edit

User Info Menu

Default Re: What to use to clean the brass

All of the cymbal manufacturers have their own line of cymbal polish. They all work well but can require significant elbow grease depending on how dirty the cymbal is.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I just dust my cymbals (unless they get Great Dane drool on them in which case its soap and water) I tried the fancy branded cleaning stuff but i dont think it makes any difference to the performance or the lifespan?
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

I tape logos with painters tape, use Meinl cleaner, then tape comes off and I use Meinl polish. I'm that into Meinl, haha.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Find some cymbal polish provided by the companies the cymbals are created by.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    I tape logos with painters tape, use Meinl cleaner, then tape comes off and I use Meinl polish. I'm that into Meinl, haha.
    I recently acquired an early 80s vintage Sabian AA Rock ride, and I did that very thing - used painters tape to cover the logos, which were in amazing shape, but I used Sabian cymbal cleaner instead of Meinl, although they are probably very similar products.

User Info Menu

Works good, doesn't it? For those that don't have two different cleaners, WD-40 acts as a good polish. It just needs more wiping down. I like to keep my logos so this makes me happy.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I've heard Groove Juice does a great job. If you want a cleaner that doesn't require a rinse off with water, NevrDull is a great cleaner that uses soft damp wading that has been soaked with a non-abrasive cleaner. Cheap too...about $5 USD a can.

User Info Menu

This is all I use. Very easy, not hard rubbing or polishing needed. does not remove my logo's. Simply wipe the cymbal with a "swipe" and rinse with water then towel dry. My cymbals are almost 4 years old and look the same as they did the day I bought them.

User Info Menu

I think I found a great way to clean cymbals. Never have I been able to get my cymbals to look showroom quality. I am talking brand new! Even 40 year old dark tarnished cymbals. "Barkeepers Friend" $1.74 at WalMart.
    I have always hated to clean my cymbals, but all you need to do is put them in the bath tub with a little warm water, and sprinkle this stuff on them, then give them a good scrubbing with a stiff nylon scrub brush. You will be amazed at how they come out. It will take off your logo's if you scrub there but I don't care. Dry them off real good and take a soft cloth and buff them. You won't believe it. The cymbals leaning against the foot thing are from the 60's.
    They were worse then the one on the floor. Really not a good comparison as that one is not to bad. the pics don't do them justice.

Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Groove Juice. Spray all over, let sit a minute, rinse with water, then dry. No elbow grease involved at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by npyyz View Post
    this is all i use. Very easy, not hard rubbing or polishing needed. Does not remove my logo's. Simply wipe the cymbal with a "swipe" and rinse with water then towel dry. My cymbals are almost 4 years old and look the same as they did the day i bought them.
    +1

Cymbal Swipes work great!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

I've only ever used Flitz.

Not sure it's even available anymore. I gave up cleaning them. It's way over-rated.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I want to try vinegar some day but afraid of losing the logos. Vinegar apple or regular is amazingly multi purpose and actually good for you right from the bottle
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I have been using Buckaroo cymbal cleaner for the past 10 years or so when they need a deep cleaning. This stuff is like NevR-Dull so you need alot of elbow grease to get the job done.

For the odd touch up here and there I use Sabian's pump spray bottle and a light wiping.

BTW, Buckaroo WILL remove your logos really easily. Keep it away from them if you want to keep 'em.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

I use Groove Juice as well, but...I actually took my logos off. That's right. I love the way they look shining bright without anything on them. Now...if a company ever wants to PAY me to play their stuff then logos can stay.

Randy

User Info Menu

I got a black stain on my Zildjian 20" ZBT ride. I can't seem to get it out. I Used the spray once and found it streaks and never really gets in the grooves. I might try the Barkeepers friend idea. I used a buffing wheel once and it did ok but again didn't get the grooves. I used to use Zildjian past polish with a terry cloth to buff and although it worked ok was allot of elbow grease involved. I'm moving to a new rent and when I set them up I want to shine'em up and show-em off. I have all Zildjians and one Sabian crash.

User Info Menu

A tip I got from the president of Paiste was to use Pledge (NOT citrus), super fast cleaning, incredible results and doesn't wear away your logos!

Larrysperf Guest

I use acid the stronger the better, dont worry about the green stuff it will fall off as the acid works. Leave the acid on over night or put the cymbal in a plastic pail. In the morning you wont be able to see the cymbal its so clean. Ok disregard all you have been reading here lol Cymbal cleaner from the man. is the best and easy to use

User Info Menu

I did mine the last two nights. First time in ten years!. Wow they be so clean now. I lined them all up against the wall to admire my work.

Really though they came out good. I used Brasso and a scotch brite pad. One side sponge the other green scrub. Lost some lettering but no big deal.
    I used the green scrub side for the ride. Looks brand new. Don't use that surface on a brillant finish though. It will take the brillance away.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I've only ever used Flitz.

Not sure it's even available anymore. I gave up cleaning them. It's way over-rated.
    It's hard to keep up when you keep adding to the collection too, I might add, lol, I know what you mean. But when I do have the chance once in a blue moon to at least clean the cymbals I use the most, more often than not I'll use Paiste cymbal cleaner for the Paistes and UFIPS, and Zildjian cleaner for the few Zildjians I have.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8