Thread: My used CP Bongos!

User Info Menu

Default My used CP Bongos!

I just got these yesterday, the description said "LP Nat Bongos"
    which I translated "LP (most likely Aspire) Natural finish bongos". After they messed up my order by shipping it to the wrong address, having it returned to them, not seeing anything wrong with the address, having it next day aired to the wrong address AGAIN, and then getting returned back to them, and next day air it to my right address.
    Then I find out that they are not LP Aspires, but the cheaper CP bongos.
    I guess I got what I payed for. I payed $38 something. I really wish it was the aspire ones, but I got my bongos, so I'm happy!

Shot at 2011-08-03
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: My used CP Bongos!

Congrats on the purchase.. how do they sound?

All of my stuff was purchased used except for one cymbal, my bongo stand, my high hat stand and cymbals, and my chimes. Actually, now that I said that, I didn't realize that i had THAT much new stuff. Anyway.. I'm a big supporter of buying good stuff used. For me, I'm never sure if it's exactly what I want until I use it for awhile. If I buy used I can resell without loosing money.
    LP Performer Quinto, Conga, Tumba & Remo Nuskyn Heads
    Remo 14" djembe
    Zildjian 14" ZHT High Hats
    Sabian 13"AA El Sabor Salsa Splash
    Cajon
    LP Performer Series Bongos
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

Cool Re: My used CP Bongos!

Hey, DrumRookie, don't worry about the CP bongos. It's, frankly, a matter of names. When LP (in the Martin Cohen days) introduced the CP (Cosmic Percussion) line in the late 1980s, it was a way of offering a lower-priced line of hand drums for those who, pardon the pun, "aspired" to play bongos and congas -- and, in addition, even drumkits -- without spending the big bucks for LPs.

Four of my five congas are CPs (a black fiberglass pair I bought in 1988 and a red-finished wooden pair I bought in 2002), and they still play and sound great.

You'll notice I put "aspired" in quotes because by the mid-to-late 1990s, LP felt "Aspire" was a better brand name for an entry-level line of hand percussion equipment. I have also played Aspire bongos and congas through the years, and they sound every bit as good as the CPs and even some LPs I've played.

Play 'em loud and play 'em proud, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

DR, in any case, you're off and running. Congrats on your "new" bongos!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The best bongos are the ones you own.

User Info Menu

I agree congrats man the name brand don't mean nothing if they sound good to you.

User Info Menu

These entry level bongos are too light for my uses but remind me of some old bongos in the smaller size. The hard wares are not up to using thicker heads or the higher tensions of plastic heads. But these heads are not ideal for bongos anyway & they are more like dog chew toys quality than drum head quality. If these were mounted w/ quality calf heads, they'd be far better sounding & since they were not expensive, the added cost of great heads appropriate to the hard wares will be a very good quality upgrade !

User Info Menu

Wow, I can't believe I forgot about this thread...

Thanks for all of you posts, I appreciated it! It made me feel better about my bongos! :P
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos