Thread: TAMA Starclassic Birch / Bubinga ... Drumset Reviews

User Info Menu

Default TAMA Starclassic Birch / Bubinga ... Drumset Reviews

Ok, I've had the kit for a little over 24 hours.

Last night after they arrived I unboxed everything and inspected each item for quality and/or damage. I found nothing wrong or disappointing. Even the packing was done well enough to survive a UPS delivery.

The bass drum came fully unassembled accept for the lugs, fold-up expandable legs and badging. All the lugs screws and claws were mounted on a piece of stout cardboard and hooked over the edge with the lug screws already assembled and facing inward. Quality moment: each lugs screw has a rubber washer installed so no matter what you do they will not separate from the claws. Each claw also is rubber lined to avoid damage to the hoops when assembled. That was wrapped in a plastic bag with the end taped shut.

Each hoop was wrapped in foam wrapping and adhered to each edge of the bass drum for shipping. Each bearing edge of the bass drum was nestled in a soft strip of very pliable rubber like gasket material which really preserved the bearing edge from damage, even from me.

Inside the bass drum was nestled the 14" floor tom with the heads removed and three lugs holding the rims in place with nylon spacers. Inside the 14" floor tom was the 10" tom fully assembled. The drum heads were wrapped in pairs with the reso in front to protect the batter head. They were wrapped separate from everything else in the same heavy duty type bag similar to the bass drum lugs.

In the 2nd box was the 16" floor tom packed the same way as the 14" and with the 12" tom nestled inside it. Both sets of tom legs were wrapped separate from each other but in the set of 3. The Starclassic tom mounts were individually wrapped as were the tom holders and tom arms. All of the additional lug screws for the two floor toms were wrapped in that same heavy type plastic baggie and taped shut. Each drum was also wrapped in plastic. I think this mainly was to retain that new wood smell that I'm still enjoying tonight.

In summary: everything was wrapped well and leaving no chance for anything to be damaged during transit. Top notch packing design, IMHO.

Now, on to the good stuff. As you all know the finish is out of this world. I think I found a few planets floating around while looking deep into the highly polished lacquer finish. Upon very close inspection there was no detection of any defects, chips or scratches anywhere. Every bearing edge was perfect with no low spots are gouges.

All the chrome was spotless and totally reflective. Every screw to every lug was tight as a drum. ( yes, I had to say it. ) Everything was completely immaculate.

After mounting all the heads and hardware to the shells I gave each lug a turn or two just to snug them. I didn't bother with tuning since I wasn't going to get to play them last night anyway. I mainly wanted the kit set up so I could post pictures.

Tonight was the night. I went downstairs after work and within a half hour had every drum tuned up and sounding awesome. Every lug screw felt the same and every drum was very easy to tune. I think I have the floor toms a little tighter than I might normally like but for now they sound like octaves of the smaller toms. And boy do those small toms sing. They have that tone similar to the video I posted in the Video section of Dom's Saturns.

The bass drum is thunderous just like my previous kit that was all bubinga.

I'm not sure what more I can say other than this kit is giving my Pearl Masters fits. It has taken over the number one spot.

If anyone has any questions about anything on this kit, please feel free to ask.

I'm really happy with everything about this kit. It'll stay with me for a long time.

On a sub note: I ran some comparisons between this kit and my Silverstars. The Silverstars fall in right behind this kit for quality and over all fit and finish. Even the toms can sing their own song. It's fun to compare between big brother and little brother.

Thanks for reading.
    Signature here

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: TAMA Starclassic Birch / Bubinga

Cool Thanks for sharing. Gotta love the B/B kits amazing. I almost got a set

User Info Menu

Fantastic. The pics are gorgeous. Great drums.

User Info Menu

To add some more data. The drum sizes are:

22" x 20" kick drum, 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" rack toms, and 14" x 12" and 16" x 14" floor toms.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    To add some more data. The drum sizes are:

22" x 20" kick drum, 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" rack toms, and 14" x 12" and 16" x 14" floor toms.
    Same as mine other than the kick. Mine is 20x20.

User Info Menu

Ok, I've had the kit for a little over 24 hours.

Last night after they arrived I unboxed everything and inspected each item for quality and/or damage. I found nothing wrong or disappointing. Even the packing was done well enough to survive a UPS delivery.

The bass drum came fully unassembled accept for the lugs, fold-up expandable legs and badging. All the lugs screws and claws were mounted on a piece of stout cardboard and hooked over the edge with the lug screws already assembled and facing inward. Quality moment: each lugs screw has a rubber washer installed so no matter what you do they will not separate from the claws. Each claw also is rubber lined to avoid damage to the hoops when assembled. That was wrapped in a plastic bag with the end taped shut.

Each hoop was wrapped in foam wrapping and adhered to each edge of the bass drum for shipping. Each bearing edge of the bass drum was nestled in a soft strip of very pliable rubber like gasket material which really preserved the bearing edge from damage, even from me.

Inside the bass drum was nestled the 14" floor tom with the heads removed and three lugs holding the rims in place with nylon spacers. Inside the 14" floor tom was the 10" tom fully assembled. The drum heads were wrapped in pairs with the reso in front to protect the batter head. They were wrapped separate from everything else in the same heavy duty type bag similar to the bass drum lugs.

In the 2nd box was the 16" floor tom packed the same way as the 14" and with the 12" tom nestled inside it. Both sets of tom legs were wrapped separate from each other but in the set of 3. The Starclassic tom mounts were individually wrapped as were the tom holders and tom arms. All of the additional lug screws for the two floor toms were wrapped in that same heavy type plastic baggie and taped shut. Each drum was also wrapped in plastic. I think this mainly was to retain that new wood smell that I'm still enjoying tonight.

In summary: everything was wrapped well and leaving no chance for anything to be damaged during transit. Top notch packing design, IMHO.

Now, on to the good stuff. As you all know the finish is out of this world. I think I found a few planets floating around while looking deep into the highly polished lacquer finish. Upon very close inspection there was no detection of any defects, chips or scratches anywhere. Every bearing edge was perfect with no low spots are gouges.

All the chrome was spotless and totally reflective. Every screw to every lug was tight as a drum. ( yes, I had to say it. ) Everything was completely immaculate.

After mounting all the heads and hardware to the shells I gave each lug a turn or two just to snug them. I didn't bother with tuning since I wasn't going to get to play them last night anyway. I mainly wanted the kit set up so I could post pictures.

Tonight was the night. I went downstairs after work and within a half hour had every drum tuned up and sounding awesome. Every lug screw felt the same and every drum was very easy to tune. I think I have the floor toms a little tighter than I might normally like but for now they sound like octaves of the smaller toms. And boy do those small toms sing. They have that tone similar to the video I posted in the Video section of Dom's Saturns.

The bass drum is thunderous just like my previous kit that was all bubinga.

I'm not sure what more I can say other than this kit is giving my Pearl Masters fits. It has taken over the number one spot.

If anyone has any questions about anything on this kit, please feel free to ask.

I'm really happy with everything about this kit. It'll stay with me for a long time.

On a sub note: I ran some comparisons between this kit and my Silverstars. The Silverstars fall in right behind this kit for quality and over all fit and finish. Even the toms can sing their own song. It's fun to compare between big brother and little brother.

Thanks for reading.
    they didn't stay that long lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    they didn't stay that long lol
    What do you mean?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Nice story. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Nice story. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks for reading!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

What do you mean?
    Didn't you sell them

User Info Menu

Didn't you sell them
    No. I sold one of my Silverstars.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Nice Bish! I remember your other bubinga kit. Is there a pic thread for this new one?
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Oh sorry I read you sold them to a guy that is not on here anymore. My mistake. But that mocha was nice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    Nice Bish! I remember your other bubinga kit. Is there a pic thread for this new one?
    Scott, they aren't really new. At the bottom will be a link.

Oh sorry I read you sold them to a guy that is not on here anymore. My mistake. But that mocha was nice
    I sold the Bubinga Elites to John (2slow) a few years ago.

Link to pictures of my current kits except I don't think this thread has my newest Mapex Saturns or my DW Performers. If you want more pictures of the B/B or any other kit I can provide them upon request.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ht=Starclassic
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Should've seen the date lol
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Scott, they aren't really new. At the bottom will be a link.

I sold the Bubinga Elites to John (2slow) a few years ago.

Link to pictures of my current kits except I don't think this thread has my newest Mapex Saturns or my DW Performers. If you want more pictures of the B/B or any other kit I can provide them upon request.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ht=Starclassic
    Thanks but no need I know drums so Ive seen them all pretty much

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    Should've seen the date lol
    That explains a lot.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Still all very nice sets Mr Bish

User Info Menu

Still all very nice sets Mr Bish
    Thank you, sir!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

awesome ! enjoy the set i just bought the snare and really enjoy it and the wood is awesome
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers