Thread: Sticking To Practice Routines/Patience

User Info Menu

Default Sticking To Practice Routines/Patience

Alright, so when I sit down infront of one of my books (Example: Stick Control, Master Studies) and think to myself "Alright, I'm going to play each one of these X amount of times at X BPM each evenly" I barely get into it before I sit there and get unmotivated and bored of what I'm doing.

Same thing happens when I set up a daily routine. I have everything set up for me to get better, but I just can't do it. I'll do a few things then look at the list and just not want to do the stuff.

I think it may have something to do with going from just messing around on the kit for most of my practice and some technical practice to expecting myself to sit there for a long time and be disciplined enough to do it. Should I slowly work my way up? Like go from 2 repetitions a day, then a week later go to 5, ect? I realize I want to get better and need to practice to do that but I just need to build my patience up.

Any more tips/advice on the matter?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sticking To Practice Routines/Patience

This happens to me all of the time. This is what's helped me out. I set up an wide array of practice excercises that I can choose from if I get bored during solo practice time. Typically I group them like this: Rudiments hands and feet, playing with pre-recorded music, and just jamming on the kit. If I get bored or frustrated, I move to another group of excercises and by the end of an hour, I've accomplished something positive even though I've strayed away from my orginally intented goal. I don't force myself to indulge in practicing something that I don't want to do just for the sake of playing otherwise it feels like going to high school which I hated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sticking To Practice Routines/Patience

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    This happens to me all of the time. This is what's helped me out. I set up an wide array of practice excercises that I can choose from if I get bored during solo practice time. Typically I group them like this: Rudiments hands and feet, playing with pre-recorded music, and just jamming on the kit. If I get bored or frustrated, I move to another group of excercises and by the end of an hour, I've accomplished something positive even though I've strayed away from my orginally intented goal. I don't force myself to indulge in practicing something that I don't want to do just for the sake of playing otherwise it feels like going to high school which I hated.
    You know, that might just help me out, hopefully over time i can build up how much I do.