Thread: 42 strand snare wires

User Info Menu

Default 42 strand snare wires

has anyone here used them if so info please I like really sensitive sounding snares and my 18 strand wires arent cutting it.
    they used to be a 20 strand but one broke off so i took another one off like bob gatzen said.
    ive read reviews about 42 strands and stuff but I want others thoughts.

Drop some knowledge on me
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Default Re: 42 strand snare wires

Just get an aftermarket 20 strand. Puresound makes a ton of them with different sound qualities. Getting a 42 strand won't help you if the snare bed isn't designed for it.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

42s just choke the drum. Stick to the 20's if thats what your drum is designed for.

User Info Menu

oh ok cool guys thanks for the advice guys
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

ThePloughman Guest

+ on whats been said. 42 strand are over rated in my opinion.

User Info Menu

OK. I use a 42 strand. I've used a 20 strand. Difference? To me it's just a different sound. To my ear, the 20 strand has more of a crisp pop kinda sound. With a 42 strand, it does have a slight muffling effect but produces more of a pop kinda sound without so much the crispness.

To me it's just depending on what sound your trying to achieve.

I don't feel anything snarewire wise is overrated, it just comes down to preferance.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    ok. I use a 42 strand. I've used a 20 strand. To me it's just depending on what sound your trying to achieve.

I don't feel anything snarewire wise is overrated, it just comes down to preferance.
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    ...With a 42 strand, it does have a slight muffling effect ...
    Because your snare bed isn't cut for a 42 strand.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

ive ran 42 strand wires on every snare ive had, wont go back to the 20's
    i also run a high head tension, (90) on the drum dial.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    Because your snare bed isn't cut for a 42 strand.
    It also depends on how much tension I dial into it. Right now, it's moderate, of coarse the more tension I dial into it the more muffled it gets, but I found this also with a 20 strand also.

The snare sounds fine and is anything but "choked".

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Shab, i used a 42 on my rogers powertone for the whole time i owned it , i really like the way that a 42 sounds on a metal snare drum , but i dont care for the sound of a 42 on a wood drum. i have a chrome imperalstar that i use as a backup snare on gigs , i have a 42 on it and it sounds great . i think if you have a metal snare ,try it , but if your playing wood , forget it .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

My snare is a Ludwig Stainless Steel Black Magic. I've not tried a 42 strand on my Maple Gretsch snare.

From what I understand about snarebeds, is with wood, they are cut a certain depth and width. I could understand this limiting your snare strand size.

With Metal snares, at least the few I've owned, I seen no groove of depth or width of a snarebed. All though my Supra's snareside bearing protruded down farther on the inside than my current Black Magic snare does.

The idea behind snarebeds is plain and simple, when your strand is tensioned with no snarebed, it causes the snare strand to bow up away from the snare head. This is caused by the snare strand strings being pulled down over the bearing edge. Theoretically, when it causes the bowing action, the strand looses contact with the snare head resulting in the user to crank down with more and more tension in an attempt to get the strand to make contact with the snare head. In doing so this also increases the "choking" of the snare because of the tension introduced to the bearing edge, basically the bearing edge and the strand contacting each other.

With a snarebed cut into the bearing edge, this is suppose to aleviate the bowing of the snare strands. When tension is applied with a snarebed, it pulls down into the bed gap and allows you to not have to use as much tension to achieve the desired snare sound and not contacting the bearing edge.

Personal opinion here, but in order for the strand to bow to the extent it looses contact with the head, I would think it would have to be a pretty high tension.

Just a question while we're on the subject. Would the difference between using cord or the flat plastic strap on snare strands have an effect on snare strand contact?

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride